Report: Bears called Cowboys about Jeremiah Ratliff as “security precaution”

punchnjudy

Reaction score
League needs to intervene and do it all it can to make sure he gets some help.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
On October 21, Bears DL Jeremiah Ratliff went to the team facility, said he was the devil and told staffers he wanted their kids to die, according to a police report obtained by TMZ Sports. He was cut the next day. Ratliff has not been charged in the incident.

What's wrong with that? Don't we all do that a couple of times a year? :)

Manster68

Reaction score
Sad to say, but one does wonder if he has taken too many blows to the head.

I don't remember too many Cowboy fans having issues with him back in 2010. Then he signed his new extension and just flipped out. Needless-to-say, the guy who solidified the 2005 7th round pick disappointed in the end.

My personal rule is that any player drafted 4th round and beyond makes a Pro Bowl solidifies that draft pick - it was not a wasted pick or a bust.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
This is true. I remember him and Ware being close but Ware making the comments that he became a bit anti-social around the end.

Don't want to speculate too much, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a severe case of being bipolar. I hope he gets checked out.

The type of psychosis that's being described is more aligned with a schizophrenic disorder, of which there are several subtypes. Schizotypal personality disorder may be a good fit for him.

At any rate, therapy can keep even these folks functional.

The mood and mental status changes seen in CTE are not likely applicable here; several years need to pass before those altered behaviors begin to emerge.

Hallucinogenics such as PCP can also cause such symptoms.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The type of psychosis that's being described is more aligned with a schizophrenic disorder, of which there are several subtypes. Schizotypal personality disorder may be a good fit for him.

At any rate, therapy can keep even these folks functional.

The mood and mental status changes seen in CTE are not likely applicable here; several years need to pass before those altered behaviors begin to emerge.

Hallucinogenics such as PCP can also cause such symptoms.

Psychological categorization is at best a soft science. Categorizing symptoms is a nice shortcut for diagnosis but doesn't speak at all to the biomechanics of cognitive and emotional behavior. They shoehorn a schizoeffective rider onto the bipolar classification. It makes sense because paranoid mania is famously delusional. Reading the DSM you cannot tell if they think it causative or directly related. It is implied nonetheless. You see this type of thing throughout their diagnostic manuals. It wouldn't be so bad if they wouldn't use questionable statistical methods like p-values to correlate their categories with observations. I joke with a pysicist friend of mine that the psychological dissertation has to be the easies in all of academia because you can have your numbers say what ever you want with how they are allowed to bias and otherwise cook the numbers.

Science is doing amazing work in mapping out the function of the visual and sensory cortex over the last 2 decades and its efficacy is evidenced by functioning neural interfaces that allow us to actuate prosthetics and cause sensory input directly. It seems to me that psychologists are still hanging onto century old categorizations.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Psychological categorization is at best a soft science. Categorizing symptoms is a nice shortcut for diagnosis but doesn't speak at all to the biomechanics of cognitive and emotional behavior. They shoehorn a schizoeffective rider onto the bipolar classification. It makes sense because paranoid mania is famously delusional. Reading the DSM you cannot tell if they think it causative or directly related. It is implied nonetheless. You see this type of thing throughout their diagnostic manuals. It wouldn't be so bad if they wouldn't use questionable statistical methods like p-values to correlate their categories with observations. I joke with a pysicist friend of mine that the psychological dissertation has to be the easies in all of academia because you can have your numbers say what ever you want with how they are allowed to bias and otherwise cook the numbers.

Science is doing amazing work in mapping out the function of the visual and sensory cortex over the last 2 decades and its efficacy is evidenced by functioning neural interfaces that allow us to actuate prosthetics and cause sensory input directly. It seems to me that psychologists are still hanging onto century old categorizations.

I completely agree with all of that! :huh:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I completely agree with all of that! :huh:

According to the main psychological diagnostic manual, bipolar and schizophrenia are not mutually exclusive.

The studies of pyschologists are not held to the standards of proof of most other sciences. Economists do the same tripe but that is about it. Look up sigma ratings and p-values if you want to learn more about what I am talking about.

Neurologists have made tremendous strides detailing the mechanics of the brain. We can tell they are right because we can make paraplegics walk and control a mouse with a neural interface directly to the brain. OTOH, psychologist still uses Yung's categories which are 100 years old and at best ignorant.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

Alas, medicine is both art and science. There is such variation from one individual to the next that even the most firm diagnosis will sometimes not respond to the most likely and logical therapy.

The realm of psychiatry and psychology is even less predictable, rendering its practice tedious and difficult. The profession would certainly welcome specific neurological markers or site-stimulation capabilities in order to affirm diagnosis and more specifically direct therapy.
Such studies have been ongoing for decades, but there are inherent barriers to cognitive and emotional intervention that do not exist in sensory or motor interactions.

Tremendous liability is therefore incurred with any medical or behavioral modification, but many such therapies have very low risk/benefit ratios and high probabilities of substantial improvement.

Now let's kick some She-hawk gluteus.

RunDMC

Reaction score
Sounds like the beating and pounding Rat took over the years being an undersized nose tackle has taken it's toll. I really don't think Jay is a bad dude. He just needs help and immediately.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
:eek: He's the Debil!!!!

f2c6b766c14011c703386a642a025269.jpg

John813

Reaction score
Man, I hope Ratliff, his family and friends take serious steps to get him checked out mentally.
Would be a damn shame if he loses it and takes his own life/someone else.

RunDMC

Reaction score
Are Rat and D-Ware still close? If so I hope DeMarcus comes him up. Try and talk some sense into him. In a state such as his dude needs a friend. Needs someone to listen and console him.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Sounds like the beating and pounding Rat took over the years being an undersized nose tackle has taken it's toll. I really don't think Jay is a bad dude. He just needs help and immediately.

You can't blame that kind of outburst on football. That is just evil and mean.

slomoxn

Reaction score
I've never seen such a drastic change in a player. Ultimate positive team guy, and then completely unpredictable and paranoid malcontent. And for really no reason.

Greg Ellis on steroids

Jack Burton

It's all in the reflexes.
Reaction score
Did Jerry ever pursue legal action against him? Or did he just let it go?