Report: Commanders not willing to meet Zack Brown's asking price

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
PASS

and PASS

because neither one can play the Pass..... a requirement for a 3 down LB

The thing is, why would he want to come back? He can start elsewhere. Like Indy, for example.

He isn't going to start over Lee. The team is going to commit to Jaylon as the other starter. And yes, Lee likely gets hurt... But why does he want to stay as wait for that when he can go elsewhere, get paid and start?

Dre11

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. He is a tackling machine with excellent speed to cover TEs. 7 mil doesn't sound unreasonable. The bills were letting a lot of good players go last year.

You must haven't watched many Commanders games. That is the knock on him, he can't cover. Chris Cooley who does an excellent film breakdown after every game and coach's show with Gruden , has stated that several times.

Zach Brown was signed by the Commanders this offseason after making the Pro Bowl with the Buffalo Bills last year. Brown didn't command top ILB money on the open market due to some coverage issues, but was signed to a 1 year, $2.3 million contract. He also had another $2.55 million that should be earned through roster and performance bonuses during the season.

Last edited:

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
He isn’t a backup.

Hitchens is going to make a lot more money than people think. He’s a really underrated player, and the league will notice this. Let’s hope we can keep him. We need him.

Absolutely spot on. 4th leading tackler in 2016 and 2nd leading tackler last year (Sean Lee had 17 more). Plus, those draft spots you use for some other need on the team you now have to use on looking for a new LB. Who knows if you get a good starter but you know he won't be good for over half the season (especially in pass defense). Decent starting LB's are not a dime a dozen.

Sign Hitch for 2 years and draft a couple of mid - late round projects. You gotta draft them anyway for Lee's replacement and for the eventuality of Hitch leaving in 2-3 years. We're already trying to get Jaylon up to speed, we don't need another project this year.

Hadenough

Reaction score
You must haven't watched many Commanders games. That is the knock on him, he can't cover. Chris Cooley who does an excellent film breakdown after every game and coach's show with Gruden , has stated that several times.

Zach Brown was signed by the Commanders this offseason after making the Pro Bowl with the Buffalo Bills last year. Brown didn't command top ILB money on the open market due to some coverage issues, but was signed to a 1 year, $2.3 million contract. He also had another $2.55 million that should be earned through roster and performance bonuses during the season.
I watched some of their games but didnt notice the coverage issue. I guess I was locked in on how fast he is sideline to sideline tracking down RBs. He had 6 int in 3 decent seasons with the Titans and then one good year with the Bills. Maybe the Commanders defensive scheme didnt fit him well. I think Dallas should consider looking at him but he did the season with a foot injury and depending on the exact nature of that injury, maybe its affecting his demands.

Reactions: BAT

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Much depends upon what the Cowboys are willing to pay.

I think we might settle at 5 mil but that's mere conjecture on my part.

Another team might be willing to pay somewhat more generously than we would.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Much depends upon what the Cowboys are willing to pay. I think we might settle at 5 mil but that's mere conjecture on my part. Other teams might pay more than we would.
The dude will probably end up with the Falcons, I remember their coach saying they want speed on defense. Everyone needs to be fast except for d lineman. Dallas could benefit from that idea.

LittleD

Reaction score
Much depends upon what the Cowboys are willing to pay.

I think we might settle at 5 mil but that's mere conjecture on my part.

Another team might be willing to pay somewhat more generously than we would.

Nah! We shop in the bargain basement section of FA. Besides you only overpay for DL and CB on defense. LB are a dime a dozen.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Nah! We shop in the bargain basement section of FA. Besides you only overpay for DL and CB on defense. LB are a dime a dozen.

The FO sounds pretty sold on keeping him. It's fairly possible they'd stretch their budget to some extent.

If not, I'll gladly stand corrected. To his credit, he was the team's 2nd leading tackler to Lee last season.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The dude will probably end up with the Falcons, I remember their coach saying they want speed on defense. Everyone needs to be fast except for d lineman. Dallas could benefit from that idea.

Hitchens ran in the 4.7 range in college, so I'm not sure that's as much speed as they have in mind. It's likely he's slowed down slightly since then.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Anything over $3 Million on Hitchens and I'm out, He's probably going to Indy anyway

That's a good point. I hadn't thought about guys wanting to move on with Eberflus. Or Eberflus wanting to take Hitchens. I wonder if this will generalize to other players and position coaches we let go.

Pants

Reaction score
gotta get the deal for the incumbent Zack done first and also decide on DLaw and Irving so then you know what you are looking at with money....but, prefer to keep hitch if it is an either/or scenario

vlad

Reaction score
Its interesting how many times it seems the good players here are underrated and we should let go and the not as good players are overrated and we should keep.

Hitchens is the closest thing we have to Lee and it's not even close. Of course what he asks for determines it all, but some people have said as little as over 3m a year is too much. If we can keep him for 4 it's not even a question. I don't know the call but I'm guessing good lbs in FA get more than 5

glimmerman

Reaction score
He isn’t a backup.

Hitchens is going to make a lot more money than people think. He’s a really underrated player, and the league will notice this. Let’s hope we can keep him. We need him.
I think Hitch was a really solid player for us and made lots of plays. He knows the system. I wouldn’t want to replace him and have to put up with the learning curve.