Report: Commanders not willing to meet Zack Brown's asking price

gmoney112

Reaction score
That means Hitchens is done. And can Jaylon be slb?

SLB just isn't a position that's used that often anymore. We run nickel, as does the rest of the league in general, far more.

You'd have 3 talented LB's, Jaylon/Bowman can both play MLB and either one of them could probably step in at the WLB position if Lee had to miss a game.

Then you could fill out LB depth in the draft, possibly with the handful of mid round picks we have.

Just to answer your question though, I'm sure Bowman or Jaylon could play SLB for the relatively small % of plays we use one. Jaylon could probably be a good threat from SLB if they utilized his pass rush a bit.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I know a few poster offered him as an alternative to signing Hitchen. LOL..not happening at this price. Wondering if this gives a peek at Hitchen range....

Zach Brown - LB - Commanders
ESPN's John Keim reports the Commanders aren't willing to meet free agent ILB Zach Brown's asking price.

The Commanders want to keep Brown but there's a decent gap in contract talks between the sides. After settling for a prove-it deal, Brown is looking to cash in coming off another strong season. Brown could push for $7 million annually.

Source: ESPN
Jan 20 - 4:29 PM

He took a huge bargin, $2.5 million or so to sign a one year deal, which I understood. He was from Maryland and considering the market was not kind to him, despite being 2nd in tackles in 2016 (2nd team All-Pro as well), he settled for a one year prove it deal. And well, he proved it. I'd certainly pay Brown $7 million a year, over Hitchens at $5 million, which is what it will cost to keep him. He may not be an ideal starter to many here, but there aren't even close to being 81 LBs better than him.

slick325

Reaction score
Draft a starting, "catalytic" LB early and put him on the field ASAP. No disrespect to Zach Brown but I'll pass.

As an aside, I wonder how good a strong LB unit would be if protected by a dominant 1 tech.

Sydla

Reaction score
He isn’t a backup.

Hitchens is going to make a lot more money than people think. He’s a really underrated player, and the league will notice this. Let’s hope we can keep him. We need him.

And if he is to make a lot of money, the Cowboys would be foolish to sign him.

Sydla

Reaction score
The dude will probably end up with the Falcons, I remember their coach saying they want speed on defense. Everyone needs to be fast except for d lineman. Dallas could benefit from that idea.

If I am thinking of getting a speedy LB, Hitchens wouldn’t make the list.

Sydla

Reaction score
Its interesting how many times it seems the good players here are underrated and we should let go and the not as good players are overrated and we should keep.

Hitchens is the closest thing we have to Lee and it's not even close. Of course what he asks for determines it all, but some people have said as little as over 3m a year is too much. If we can keep him for 4 it's not even a question. I don't know the call but I'm guessing good lbs in FA get more than 5

You make the classic of mistake thinking that because he’s our second best LB he’s really good. That’s more an indictment of the LBs.

blueblood70

Reaction score
i don't watch a lot of skins games but ive never heard of this guy and really is he better than Hitch? i doubt it hitch had great 2016 season, very underrated , and played solid in 17..do we really need to bring in a similar guy at a higher price? we already have Lee and JSmith plus a developing Wilson as well as the liilard guy we brought in late and Wilber for depth..so we have LBs i'd rather draft one or keep hitch and move forward with what we have..not sure I'm on board with spending big money on FA that's not a true upgrade..

Sydla

Reaction score
i don't watch a lot of skins games but ive never heard of this guy and really is he better than Hitch? i doubt it hitch had great 2016 season, very underrated , and played solid in 17..do we really need to bring in a similar guy at a higher price? we already have Lee and JSmith plus a developing Wilson as well as the liilard guy we brought in late and Wilber for depth..so we have LBs i'd rather draft one or keep hitch and move forward with what we have..not sure I'm on board with spending big money on FA that's not a true upgrade..

Yes Brown is a better pure MLB than Hitchens.

Hitchens has more flexibility than Brown.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Hitchens deserves a starter type contract. For a vet LB in his prime that is probably around 5m a year. Brown will probably get a little more than that.

If we were to let Hitchens go Bowman would be a good fall back option...he is likely to be cheaper as an older vet on his last legs, but I don't know that he is willing to move from the California area. It is why he signed with the Raiders last year....didn't want to shake up the family. I am betting he isn't leaving for anything that isn't multi year and/or has significant guaranteed money. For that reason I think he isn't a candidate here.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Hell no, the guy is a huge liability in coverage. Hence the reason they won't pay him and the bills let him walk
He’s a very fast LBer....if he’s a liability in coverage, it’s not for the usual reason.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You make the classic of mistake thinking that because he’s our second best LB he’s really good.
He is really good. No reason to let him walk and create a hole you have to fill with a unproven draft pick. The Cowboys already need to draft one LB.

Sydla

Reaction score
He is really good. No reason to let him walk and create a hole you have to fill with a unproven draft pick. The Cowboys already need to draft one LB.

He's not "really good". And yes, you let him walk if the contract he is going to get is higher than his true value.

For years, everyone has *****ed about cap problems and bad contracts and then what do some of you want to do when we finally get some flexibility? Overpay for a guy simply because he happens to be a guy we drafted.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And if he is to make a lot of money, the Cowboys would be foolish to sign him.

We’ll see. I’m not sure just how much he’s going to make—only that it’s going to be a lot more than board consensus would have expected.

I hope we don’t lose him. It’s be yet another defensive hole we don’t need to be messing with. He’s 25, talented, and a scheme fit. He’s the right kind of guy. It’s a mistake to let those walk thinking you can backfill them with a cast off veteran

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Neither Brown or Hitchens are good in coverage and Marinelli demands that from a MIKE

No way you give Brown 5-7m or Hitchens 5m+

Two down MIKEs are literally a Dime a Dozen.....pair a vet or rookie with JSmith and its done for under 1m

And if ZBrown only got 2.5m plus incentives last year and he is better than Hitchens...... what makes you think Hitchens will get 5m+????? Two down MIKEs don't get paid

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
https://www.hogshaven.com/2017/12/3...king-on-contract-extension-with-lb-zach-brown

He's decent. He'll get paid

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/washington...manders-non-kirk-cousins-free-agent-decisions

conner01

Reaction score
Some fans perseption of what a players worth and what the market really is aren’t very close
He may not get 7 mil but I’m betting he gets a lot more tha
3 million? Heath gets paid 2 million. Thats backup fodder type money.
the reality of what a solid player gets and the assumptions are much different

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I'm more of a fan of Mason Foster for cheaper. Draft your future MLB/Sean Lee successor and if he's good enough to beat out Foster then great. If not, we can bring him in slowly while you get whatever you can out of Lee staying healthy and Jaylon developing at Will LB