Report: Cowboys still not close for deal with CeeDee Lamb but optimistic they will get it done

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
What's the realistic time frame CD would need to be ready to play the first game? Does he need two weeks to get ready? Then that is when I expect he'll sign.
Good question.
Nobody knows.
Depends on how he's been training and then...
Who knows?

Chasing6

Reaction score
What's the realistic time frame CD would need to be ready to play the first game? Does he need two weeks to get ready? Then that is when I expect he'll sign.
I would assume he is working out and in shape. He and Dak have worked out in the off season, so I think he would need at least a week.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
CeeDee is from Dak Prescott school of not getting the deal done. Ask for the moon when you know the ship sinks without you.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
CeeDee apparently is demanding to be #1 among WR contracts and maybe even a no trade clause added. Nothing less.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
There is zero percent chance anyone from the Cowboys organization can explain to me why this has taken so long and it make sense.

We're well past the ridiculous stage and almost past the beyond stupid stage.

If the Cowboys wanted to extend Lamb for $33M, then they should have done all this BEFORE the other WR's got extended not after.
CEEDEE WOULDN'T HAVE SIGNED THAT

Flamma

Reaction score
CeeDee is under contract already for 18 mil for 2024, and a franchise tag awaits next year, there is no rush for a new deal.....CeeDee will be at practice when the season starts for week one with a new deal or not, nothing to see here!
Right. Jerry can call his bluff if he wants to. In order for CD to get anything to happen, he has to hold out until week 12. Otherwise the holdout means nothing, and they can tag him next year.

Sandyf

Reaction score
The problem has always been two sided. Jerry wanted a cheaper deal but Lamb's agent had no desire to even work out something until Jefferson signed. The price for Lamb was always going to be close to the Jefferson contract. Jerry is probably telling them that since Texas has no state income tax that $33 million a year is like $35 million a year but of course Lamb nor his agent care about that fact.

The most likely hold ups are amount of guaranteed money, years on the contract and structure of the actual amount in salary each year. Justin Jefferson agreed to a 4 year, $140 million contract extension that includes $110M guaranteed, and $88.7M fully guaranteed at signing. I would expect Lamb's extension to be 4 years with guarantee around if not more than Jefferson's. Expect Dallas to add 2 void years to spread out the bonus and salary. Would expect Lamb's cap number to be around $10 million in 2024 and probably double that in 2025.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The problem has always been two sided. Jerry wanted a cheaper deal but Lamb's agent had no desire to even work out something until Jefferson signed. The price for Lamb was always going to be close to the Jefferson contract. Jerry is probably telling them that since Texas has no state income tax that $33 million a year is like $35 million a year but of course Lamb nor his agent care about that fact.

The most likely hold ups are amount of guaranteed money, years on the contract and structure of the actual amount in salary each year. Justin Jefferson agreed to a 4 year, $140 million contract extension that includes $110M guaranteed, and $88.7M fully guaranteed at signing. I would expect Lamb's extension to be 4 years with guarantee around if not more than Jefferson's. Expect Dallas to add 2 void years to spread out the bonus and salary. Would expect Lamb's cap number to be around $10 million in 2024 and probably double that in 2025.
I think this is about right. I doubt they're quibbling over a million or two AAV at this point.

shabazz

Reaction score
He actually is. If he plays his cards right.
The ability to franchise him a couple times does limit his leverage.

If he thinks that Jerry minds losing a few games he may wrong......Jerry has settled for mediocrity for a quarter century now and doesn't appear to be losing too much sleep

blueblood70

Reaction score
Right. Jerry can call his bluff if he wants to. In order for CD to get anything to happen, he has to hold out until week 12. Otherwise the holdout means nothing, and they can tag him next year.
Still won't mean anything I don't get why you people don't see this why would he lose$15 million with fines and game pay and then Jerry now even more man slaps the franchise tag on him and now he lost all that money and now we're back to the same spot he will never make that money up is why I know he will not hold out I don't believe this leaks into the season he will play new deal or not because he knows his leverage is gone once the season starts because the Cowboys know all they have to do is franchise tag the guy and then that first round tender I believe it requires another team to OfferUp quite a bit of draft stock and the Cowboys can match it and it may not be 35,000,000 he's going to be in the same spot next year it's kind of like Hassan Reddick being traded to The Jets now wants to be traded again because they didn't give him his deal... At some point some players lose leverage and we're going to get there when the season starts again I don't see a man losing that kind of money because he will never ever get it back he would have to play 8 years if he's turning down $33 million a year and then holds out all year for that other 2 million he would have to play 7 + years to make it up ..that NOT happening.. book it!!

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

The state income tax issue is over stated. Seattle, Tennessee, Houston, Miami, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and Las Vegas can all boast the same circumstance and they’ve never indicated an advantage because of no state income tax. In addition, players pay income tax based on where each game is played. So Dallas at Detroit Cowboys‘ players game checks are taxed under Michigan state income tax laws. It is not much of a bargaining chip for the eight teams in “no state income tax” states.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So much for that prediction by someone in the media that was posted well over a week ago that CeeDee would already be signed by now. There was another tweet by some idiot named pretty Ricky on Twitter a couple of weeks ago that claimed the Cowboys were working out the final details on a contract with CeeDee. That dope was supposed to be more accurate than Adam Schefter according to one fan here. :rolleyes:

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
There is zero percent chance anyone from the Cowboys organization can explain to me why this has taken so long and it make sense.

We're well past the ridiculous stage and almost past the beyond stupid stage.

If the Cowboys wanted to extend Lamb for $33M, then they should have done all this BEFORE the other WR's got extended not after.
CD is waiting out the Auyuk deal because he wants to be the top paid wr. That's all I can come up with. Idk what the hold up on Dallas end is.