Report: Cowboys still not close for deal with CeeDee Lamb but optimistic they will get it done

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
That's quite possible!

We also don't know if the Cowboys actually made an offer prior to that and Lamb's agent wanted to wait and now wants more.

The fans and media simply do not have all of the information so a lot of people are picking sides based on their own pre-conceived biases.

At some point, the truth will come out either through leaks or the contract itself.
Stephen did say in an interview not too long ago (which was in a thread here with video) that they tried to get CeeDee to sign last year and he unequivocally wanted to wait until this year.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really would love to know what the holdup is for CD and even Dak. Because I’m stuck on the idea/suspicion it is more about years, language in contract and clauses than money. JMO, and just a hunch.
I personally think the no-trade/no-franchise-tag clauses are the main sticking point in the Dak negotiations.

While I think the Cowboys do want Dak back in 2025, I think they also want to way to move on from Dak should an opportuntity to get a young franchise quarterback present itself in the next couple of years.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen did say in an interview not too long ago (which was in a thread here with video) that they tried to get CeeDee to sign last year and he unequivocally wanted to wait until this year.
I really cannot blame him or his agent for wanting to do that.

The expected 2024 salary cap increase was widely anticipated and several big receiver contracts were going to happen this off-season, so it makes sense they wanted to wait.

in some cases, teams have the advantage in offering an extension ahead of time, but in others the players have the advantage. In this case, it was the player's turn.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What if Lamb is demanding a no-trade clause or no-franchise clause, or both?

What if Lamb is demanding a 10-year contract and the Cowboys are offering 4 years?

What if Lamb wants all of his contract guaranteed?

We simply do not know the details of the negotiation so many people immediately jump to assume it's the Cowboys being cheap.

While it definitely is possible the Cowboys are being cheap, it is also possible that Lamb's agent is trying to get more than the Cowboys will offer or even any NFL team would offer.
I think Jerry is trying to figure out Joan he can pay all three of them. He wants Dak to take less, so we can sign CD and Micah and vice versa.

Problem is Dak is comfortable and excited about exploring and being a FA.

So I guess at this point is no one will be signed.

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score

What if Lamb is demanding a 10-year contract and the Cowboys are offering 4 years?

We simply do not know the details of the negotiation so many people immediately jump to assume it's the Cowboys being cheap.

While it definitely is possible the Cowboys are being cheap, it is also possible that Lamb's agent is trying to get more than the Cowboys will offer or even any NFL team would offer.
If that was the case the FO would've almost certainly leaked it to their media people. That's the playbook.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I really cannot blame him or his agent for wanting to do that.

The expected 2024 salary cap increase was widely anticipated and several big receiver contracts were going to happen this off-season, so it makes sense they wanted to wait.

in some cases, teams have the advantage in offering an extension ahead of times, but in others the players have the advantage. In this case, it was the player's turn.
Yeah. It's what I would have advised if I was his agent.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that was the case the FO would've almost certainly leaked it to their media people. That's the playbook.
There is some history of them appearing to do that.

My guess is that both sides are close enough on a deal that neither wants to inject media scrutiny and drama into the negotiations.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I really would love to know what the holdup is for CD and even Dak. Because I’m stuck on the idea/suspicion it is more about years, language in contract and clauses than money. JMO, and just a hunch.
I think it years with Dak and another no trade clause.

shabazz

Reaction score
There is zero percent chance anyone from the Cowboys organization can explain to me why this has taken so long and it make sense.

We're well past the ridiculous stage and almost past the beyond stupid stage.

If the Cowboys wanted to extend Lamb for $33M, then they should have done all this BEFORE the other WR's got extended not after.
I stopped trying to figure Jerry out years ago. There is really nothing to figure out. He’s a mess of a GM.
It's because yall can't see the big picture Jerry has in mind.

By the end of next season , yall will be calling Da Jones, a genius for manipulating, players, coaches and salaries. You will further be memorized when he parlays our upcoming 2025 1st round pick to a top 5 pick.

"Buckle up, Buckaroos".........feel free to say this last phrase in the Caitlin Jenner voice done on SouthPark

plymkr

Reaction score
I personally think the no-trade/no-franchise-tag clauses are the main sticking point in the Dak negotiations.

While I think the Cowboys do want Dak back in 2025, I think they also want to way to move on from Dak should an opportuntity to get a young franchise quarterback present itself in the next couple of years.
I agree

plymkr

Reaction score
I think it years with Dak and another no trade clause.
I agree. My hunch is with CD it’s about guaranteed money and maybe years. Dak it’s what you said, length and clauses.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I agree. My hunch is with CD it’s about guaranteed money and maybe years. Dak it’s what you said, length and clauses.
I think a factor for Jerry signing CD, is if he can resign Dak or not.

If Dak walks it instantly becomes rebuild mode and CD could be traded next year to acquire picks to draft a QB of the future.

Resign Micah. A young QB needs a good D and a good running game. 2025 draft is deep at RB.

I believe we have a better chance of winning a SB in the future by rebuilding. However, I don't trust Jerry to rebuild anything.

CWR

Reaction score
There is some history of them appearing to do that.

My guess is that both sides are close enough on a deal that neither wants to inject media scrutiny and drama into the negotiations.
Good point, they might not just be blowing smoke up our behinds, but actually closing in on a deal. That would be nice.

rambo2

Reaction score

Lamb isn't in position to demand anything.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lamb isn't in position to demand anything.
People can always demand anything they want.

It's not about justification or who is right or wrong, but simply too much missing information for fans and the media at this point for anyone outside the neogitation circle to know.

Sydla

Reaction score
What's the realistic time frame CD would need to be ready to play the first game? Does he need two weeks to get ready? Then that is when I expect he'll sign.

kumizi

Reaction score
CeeDee is under contract already for 18 mil for 2024, and a franchise tag awaits next year, there is no rush for a new deal.....CeeDee will be at practice when the season starts for week one with a new deal or not, nothing to see here!
Then he pulls a hamstring and is out 6 weeks because he didn’t have any training camp. Thats the Cowboys way.