Report: Cowboys value S Vaccaro immensely

RS12

Reaction score
ESPN Dallas' Calvin Watkins says the Cowboys value Texas S Kenny Vaccaro "immensely."
"But whether or not he'll fall to No. 18 is uncertain," Watkins writes. "If Vaccaro is still available at 15 or 16, then the Cowboys might need to trade up and draft him." Watkins thinks this is a possibility if offensive and defensive lineman clog the top portion of the first-round. Mar 10 - 4:29 PM
Source: ESPN

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/131315/kenny-vaccaro

RS12

Reaction score
I'd put alot more stock in this "report" if was coming from somebody besides Watkins. Lets face it though, they do need better safety play. Never liked Church coverage ability and Johnson missed a season over a hammy.

reddyuta

Reaction score
This is what I fear,i hope we make a need pick.there are other safeties just as good in the later rds.

dantheman41

Reaction score
RS12;5018970 said:
I'd put alot more stock in this "report" if was coming from somebody besides Watkins. Lets face it though, they do need better safety play. Never liked Church coverage ability and Johnson missed a season over a hammy.

Church's coverage? Huh? He can cover when needed to. Has showed that, but he's more of a SS anyway. Big hitter and excellent in run support. If he can't cover he wouldn't be on team especially in this scheme

supercowboy8

Reaction score
reddyuta;5018971 said:
This is what I fear,i hope we make a need pick.there are other safeties just as good in the later rds.

So but your wrong, name other safties that are just as good that will be available when dallas picks in later rounds. Cyprien is the only one that is even close to Vcarro and he will go late 1st early 2nd.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Lots of safeties in this draft that can be had in later rounds and that can help us.
If Vaccaro is BPA at 18, fine. But if a great oline or dline prospect is there as well--and we have them valued as high or higher--I'd take them and get the safety later. Maybe even 2-3 rounds later.

IF Vaccaro is BPA though, take him. Please no trade ups though.

dantheman41

Reaction score
DFWJC;5018977 said:
Lots of safeties in this draft that can be had in later rounds and that can help us.
If Vaccaro is BPA at 18, fine. But if a great oline or dline prospect is there as well--and we have them valued as high or higher--I'd take them and get the safety later. Maybe even 2-3 rounds later.

IF Vaccaro is BPA though, take him. Please no trade ups though.

Agree except part where u say take him. I'd rather them trade down and pick up more picks and take safety either later in the 1st or 2 or 3rd. Only way I want 1st round safety is if we move down and he is clearly best player on board by long shot

burmafrd

Reaction score
I really worry when there are reports of us falling in love with one prospect.

Hopefully Watkins is talking out of his rear end as usual.

DFWJC

Reaction score
burmafrd;5018979 said:

:laugh2: Count on it.

RS12

Reaction score
This is pure speculation but a little scary:

Leave it to Jerry Jones to open the door for wheeling and dealing.

The Dallas Cowboys are apparently quite interested in drafting Kenny Vaccaro, safety from Texas. Rotoworld posted a report stating that Dallas values Vaccaro “immensely” because he fits a need and obviously has a connection to fans in the Lone Star State thanks to his time in Austin with the Longhorns. But they’re not the only team in the middle of the first round looking to pick up a safety, as the St. Louis Rams are also in need of a safety this offseason. So could the Cowboys make a deal to move up and take Vaccaro?

The Buccaneers would stand to gain a package of picks featuring at least a third round choice for moving down to 18 and exchanging with the Cowboys. Moving down to the 18th selection puts the Buccaneers closer to the rankings of players like Desmond Trufant and Xavier Rhodes, and also opens up the possibility of selecting a tight end like Tyler Eifert.

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/03/1...pa-bay-buccaneers-13th-pick-in-the-nfl-draft/

tm1119

Reaction score
dantheman41;5018973 said:
Church's coverage? Huh? He can cover when needed to. Has showed that, but he's more of a SS anyway. Big hitter and excellent in run support. If he can't cover he wouldn't be on team especially in this scheme

Church was pretty slow to begin with and now hes coming off of a torn achilles. There are HUGE questions about his ability to cover.

XxTDxX

Reaction score
Actually hope he is right about this.. I think after Cooper (Who I believe will be gone by 18) That Vaccaro is the best fit for us and the guy Ide most like to get in this draft.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
burmafrd;5018979 said:

I wouldn't put much into it. I seriously doubt they would leak anything accurate to Watkins. Might just be doing that so that another team will take him and it will push someone else down to 18. I'm sure there are a lot of players they "value immensely."

Lot of smoke and disinformation going on. And then, of course, it's Watkins.

9darter

Reaction score
RS12;5018969 said:
"If Vaccaro is still available at 15 or 16, then the Cowboys might need to trade up and draft him."

What a joke. :rolleyes:

XxTDxX

Reaction score
Don't want to trade up though unless we can somehow get more picks than what we have by the time the draft rolls around.

RS12

Reaction score
Watkins thinks this is a possibility if offensive and defensive lineman clog the top portion of the first-round.

This is actually my favorite part of the blurb. Other teams taking and valuing linemen with high picks. Who knew?

RS12

Reaction score
I began writing this article with the full intention of telling you that Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro might be the elite, playmaking safety that Dallas Cowboy fans have longed for and if available, should be the selection with the 18th overall pick. But after watching more of Vaccaro and digging a little deeper than just highlight clips and listening to the media, I must admit I am not as impressed as I should be for a potential first round safety.

Kenny Vaccaro is widely considered the best safety in the 2013 NFL Draft class. But he is a very different player than the other safeties in his class. Vaccaro has the rare ability to play as a deep center fielder on one play and then come into the box on the next. He can also cover the most explosive slot wide receivers college football has to offer. This was very evident when he was assigned to cover West Virginia’s Tavon Austin early in the 2012 season. Austin is one of the most electric offensive players in the entire 2013 NFL Draft and Vaccaro did a fine job coming down and limiting his production.

The NFL Combine isn’t the end all, be all for draft prospects. But what it does offer is the ability for a team to compare prospects to former draftees. For the sake of comparison, these are the last four safeties to be drafted in the first round and their measurable next to Kenny Vaccaro:

http://thelandryhat.com/2013/03/10/should-the-dallas-cowboys-draft-kenny-vaccaro/

burmafrd

Reaction score
RS12;5019005 said:
I began writing this article with the full intention of telling you that Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro might be the elite, playmaking safety that Dallas Cowboy fans have longed for and if available, should be the selection with the 18th overall pick. But after watching more of Vaccaro and digging a little deeper than just highlight clips and listening to the media, I must admit I am not as impressed as I should be for a potential first round safety.

Kenny Vaccaro is widely considered the best safety in the 2013 NFL Draft class. But he is a very different player than the other safeties in his class. Vaccaro has the rare ability to play as a deep center fielder on one play and then come into the box on the next. He can also cover the most explosive slot wide receivers college football has to offer. This was very evident when he was assigned to cover West Virginia’s Tavon Austin early in the 2012 season. Austin is one of the most electric offensive players in the entire 2013 NFL Draft and Vaccaro did a fine job coming down and limiting his production.

The NFL Combine isn’t the end all, be all for draft prospects. But what it does offer is the ability for a team to compare prospects to former draftees. For the sake of comparison, these are the last four safeties to be drafted in the first round and their measurable next to Kenny Vaccaro:

http://thelandryhat.com/2013/03/10/should-the-dallas-cowboys-draft-kenny-vaccaro/

TURNOVERS.

The defense has FAILED at that except for that time during the 2010 season for YEARS.

If this guy is not a turnover maker then pass especially in the 1st rd.