Report: Cowboys value S Vaccaro immensely

supercowboy8

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5019805 said:
Jamar Taylor. He's a CB but I think he projects even better to Safety.

So let me get this straigth you dont like vaccaro, who all scouts have as best safety in this draft because you said he doesnt make plays and other crazy reasons but you want a CB that never played safety to come in a start day one in the nfl at FS because he ran a great 40 time.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5019803 said:
Really, how so? He didn't play safety so where are you getting all of this? He just ran a 4.28 at the combine.

His comhine time was 4.39 and CBs take bad angles also. Doesn't matter how fast they run.

Stop falling in love with men running fast in their underwear and watch them play

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5019803 said:
Really, how so? He didn't play safety so where are you getting all of this? He just ran a 4.28 at the combine.

Sorry I thought you were talking Taylor Mays who posted an outstanding 40 time at the combines yet his speed is worthless. Guy takes poor angles so all the speed in the world does not mean anything

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;5019685 said:
And again 40 time is misleading and does not tell you what kind of player you are getting.

NFL.com

There have been players that time fast in the 40, but when watching them play football they don't look nearly as fast. Jets defensive end Vernon Gholston ran extremely well at the combine, but when he was evaluated on tape from Ohio State, his speed never translated to the field. Little wonder he has played three years in the league and has yet to record a sack. He isn't the only one. There have been countless workout warriors who have shown well at the combine and failed in the NFL.

Some players are fast, but do not play fast, while others time slow, but play fast in pads. And that is the key for finding the right balance when using the 40 times as a measuring stick. Like all things, when evaluating college players, everything falls back to the evaluation of playing the game. Does this player play fast? Can his 40 time be seen when he puts on his pads?

Don't be so quick to judge a player by his 40 time

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/09...-be-so-quick-to-judge-a-player-by-his-40-time

I have seen this crud so many times where a guy is knocked for not posting great numbers yet ends up being a damn good player and yet seen guys put up great numbers at the combines and not do jack in the NFL. These are workouts not the game of football. I don't care about workout warriors I want football players guys who prove it when and where it really counts and that is on the field of play. This is not track and field the game is not about running some 40 yard dash.

I just think people get carried away with these combine numbers as opposed to how they play as football players

At some positions, like the one you use as a reference here, it's applicable. At others, it's not as applicable. If your going to say that guys run fast but aren't always good football players, well, I'm going to say that I agree but I'm also going to say that we've already addressed this question so why are we throwing this up against the wall again?

If you would like to look at the other side of the coin and talk about guys who have run fast and who have been great players, I'm certain I can come up with plenty of examples there as well.

He has to run well or I think he will cost himself some money. Simple as that IMO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5019826 said:
At some positions, like the one you use as a reference here, it's applicable. At others, it's not as applicable. If your going to say that guys run fast but aren't always good football players, well, I'm going to say that I agree but I'm also going to say that we've already addressed this question so why are we throwing this up against the wall again?

If you would like to look at the other side of the coin and talk about guys who have run fast and who have been great players, I'm certain I can come up with plenty of examples there as well.

He has to run well or I think he will cost himself some money. Simple as that IMO.

No doubt there are guys who ran great and that speed translated to the field. However it does not change the fact that player do not get in sprinter stances on the football field it is a different than the game. It is a tool and nothing wrong with that but what you do on the field is what matters more than anything else. Myself I don't want track guys I want football players and Vaccaro is that.

As mentioned he is not the only guy I see out there as a possiblity and would not be my 1st choice in rd 1 however if the top OL/DL go fast then I would not turn down the chance at getting Vaccaro.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
supercowboy8;5019813 said:
So let me get this straigth you dont like vaccaro, who all scouts have as best safety in this draft because you said he doesnt make plays and other crazy reasons but you want a CB that never played safety to come in a start day one in the nfl at FS because he ran a great 40 time.

I gotta tell you. I think you have just about all of it wrong with me. I do like Vaccaro. I said that up front. I am about as big of a Texas fan as there is on this board and you can pretty much ask anybody and they will say the same. Many will call me a homer and that's OK too. However, just because I am a Texas fan does not mean that I think Vaccaro is the best FS prospect available, especially for us.

As I have already said, I have watched Vaccaro his entire career and I have also watched Taylor his entire career. Can you say the same? I've seen Taylor play in person. Can you say the same, since we are all about getting things straight here.

Coming into the Combine, Taylor was thought to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick as a CB. Now that he has put down the numbers he has at the Combine, he's probably going to be a 1st round pick as a CB but I'm telling you, he's probably a better Safety prospect then he is a CB IMO because he is a little bit stiff in the hips. He's better as a zone CB then he is as a Man to Man CB but having said that, he's still pretty good in Man. He's an excellent tackler and he's got a high Football IQ. He plays center field very well so yeah, I do think he's probably a better fit at FS then he is CB. Not because he ran a 4.39 or because he has a 35 Vert or a 10"07' Broad or a 4.06 shuttle or a 6.82 3cone or because he pushed up 22 reps. It's because I've seen him play and, IMO, his game projects better to Safety then it does CB.

Are we all good and straight now?

supercowboy8

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5019882 said:
I gotta tell you. I think you have just about all of it wrong with me. I do like Vaccaro. I said that up front. I am about as big of a Texas fan as there is on this board and you can pretty much ask anybody and they will say the same. Many will call me a homer and that's OK too. However, just because I am a Texas fan does not mean that I think Vaccaro is the best FS prospect available, especially for us.

As I have already said, I have watched Vaccaro his entire career and I have also watched Taylor his entire career. Can you say the same? I've seen Taylor play in person. Can you say the same, since we are all about getting things straight here.

Coming into the Combine, Taylor was thought to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick as a CB. Now that he has put down the numbers he has at the Combine, he's probably going to be a 1st round pick as a CB but I'm telling you, he's probably a better Safety prospect then he is a CB IMO because he is a little bit stiff in the hips. He's better as a zone CB then he is as a Man to Man CB but having said that, he's still pretty good in Man. He's an excellent tackler and he's got a high Football IQ. He plays center field very well so yeah, I do think he's probably a better fit at FS then he is CB. Not because he ran a 4.39 or because he has a 35 Vert or a 10"07' Broad or a 4.06 shuttle or a 6.82 3cone or because he pushed up 22 reps. It's because I've seen him play and, IMO, his game projects better to Safety then it does CB.

Are we all good and straight now?

I have watched alot of Vaccaro but no not every game as I live and watch every SEC and ACC game, I do not get to catch all the big 12 games but I have watched alot and I do like Vaccaro.

Taylor will not be a 1st round pick, there are 4 or 5 CBs that are better IMO.
I have caught alot of Boise St. games over the last few years and he seem like a great press man with good size but I can not see him playing in zone, though he has great speed he doesn't take good angles and get put out of position alot trying to make up with it with speed.

Sorry but I will take the top rated safety in the draft over the 5th or 6th rated CB that has never played safety.

we just have to agree to disagree on this.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Seems to me they're trying to make someone jump ahead of them pushing someone they really want closer to them.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
supercowboy8;5019990 said:
I have watched alot of Vaccaro but no not every game as I live and watch every SEC and ACC game, I do not get to catch all the big 12 games but I have watched alot and I do like Vaccaro.

Taylor will not be a 1st round pick, there are 4 or 5 CBs that are better IMO.
I have caught alot of Boise St. games over the last few years and he seem like a great press man with good size but I can not see him playing in zone, though he has great speed he doesn't take good angles and get put out of position alot trying to make up with it with speed.

Sorry but I will take the top rated safety in the draft over the 5th or 6th rated CB that has never played safety.

we just have to agree to disagree on this.

I'm sorry but I don't agree much of this. Boise plays in the MWC. It's the same conference UNM plays in, which is the local team here. I've seen a lot of him and I can't say that what you say here, I have seen.

Agree to disagree I suppose.