Report: Cowboys value S Vaccaro immensely

supercowboy8

Reaction score
jjktkk;5019308 said:
FWIW, Vaccaro routinely covered the opposing teams slot receiver in college, and was solid in that aspect. The questions surrounding Vaccarro is his ability to play deep, and his speed.

His speed isn't a question, he is very fast, I don't care for 40 times for safetiest, they play 20 yards back already any ways. You need good acceleration, change of direction, and reaction time. Check his 20 yard shuttle, and 3 cone drill. He was at the top of those drills. Also has very fluid hips.

You want a safety with great 40 then go get Taylor Mays but I would rather get a guy that has average 40 but great at playing the position like Jarius Bryd

Gaede

Reaction score
Yeah, most people know he has the athleticism and physical traits to exceed at the position.

The problem is that he doesn't do so.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No, no, lets see what happens at his Pro Day because 40 times for a Safety in a Tampa2 do mean something. You have to be able to cover distance in that scheme. You have to be able to cover the deep third if you are a Safety in a Tampa2 or it's 6 all day. You have to be able to run if you are a safety playing in that scheme. Don't know how else I can say it.

jjktkk

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5019323 said:
No, no, lets see what happens at his Pro Day because 40 times for a Safety in a Tampa2 do mean something. You have to be able to cover distance in that scheme. You have to be able to cover the deep third if you are a Safety in a Tampa2 or it's 6 all day. You have to be able to run if you are a safety playing in that scheme. Don't know how else I can say it.

This.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5019323 said:

Will never have to cover 40 yards. Vcaccaro 10 split was good. Line up 20 yards off the line already, in tbe middle of the field where you going 40 to. Your 20 yards to the line, 20 yards to the sidelines, and just 20 down field.

His 20 yard shuttle, 10 yard split, and 3 cone shown he has the speed to play at safety
Just like jarius Byrd did

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
supercowboy8;5019389 said:
Will never have to cover 40 yards. Vcaccaro 10 split was good. Line up 20 yards off the line already, in tbe middle of the field where you going 40 to. Your 20 yards to the line, 20 yards to the sidelines, and just 20 down field.

His 20 yard shuttle, 10 yard split, and 3 cone shown he has the speed to play at safety
Just like jarius Byrd did

Your kidding right?

supercowboy8

Reaction score
If all you want in a safety is a great 40 time then you can have taylor Mays, but I will take jarius Byrd and his 4.6 40

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought the knock on this guy was the lack of big plays--that can potentially be explained away by him playing in the slot so much--and not his ability to cover?

I know it wouldn't be popular with the trade-up-for-an-OG crowd, but I could live with Vaccaro in the first. I worry about our ability to play single-high with the group we've got on the the roster right now.

Though, I actually think we'll bring in a vet safety with some range to compete in camp. Did Quentin Mikkel turn out to be rangier than expected as a pro? I know he was an undersized 'hitter' coming out, but I just remember him making some nice plays against the Cowboys when he was in PHI. Anyway, I can see bringing in somebody on that order to add some experience and depth to the roster heading into camp, and then also picking up a safety somewhere in this deep draft at the position.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5019398 said:
Your kidding right?

No not at all, i dont think safeties line up in a 3 point stance and run forty yards in a line, ed reed ran a 4.57. I have never seen a safety line up in the line and have to run 40 yards down the field. A FS in a tampa 2 plays the deep middle already 20 yards off the line, that a good head start and usually have to play the middle where they alreasy are and just move abiut 10 yards around them or go 29 yards to the sideline. The 40 time is pointless.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I agree with ABQ on Vacarro.i would think even Barry church will struggle in this defense if he was told to cover his half,he just doesnt the speed either.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
reddyuta;5019447 said:
I agree with ABQ on Vacarro.i would think even Barry church will struggle in this defense if he was told to cover his half,he just doesnt the speed either.

What are you looking for in speed. Vaccaro has good speed and again a safety never has to go 40 yards in a line at any time.

If Dallas wants vaccaro its because Kiffin wants him and I think he knows more about the tampa 2 than any of us

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
supercowboy8;5019399 said:
If all you want in a safety is a great 40 time then you can have taylor Mays, but I will take jarius Byrd and his 4.6 40

I don't think anybody ever said that all that was important was a great 40 time. However, that doesn't mean that being able to run is not important because I think it is. I think that if you are talking about taking a Safety at 18, you want a guy who can play for you. Especially when there are guys later in the draft who do have better measurables.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If it happens as Watkins describes where top OL and DL players fall early I would love to have Vaccaro. I would hate to see them move up to get him but at 18 I think that is a solid pick and also addresses an area on defense that needs help.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
supercowboy8;5019405 said:
No not at all, i dont think safeties line up in a 3 point stance and run forty yards in a line, ed reed ran a 4.57. I have never seen a safety line up in the line and have to run 40 yards down the field. A FS in a tampa 2 plays the deep middle already 20 yards off the line, that a good head start and usually have to play the middle where they alreasy are and just move abiut 10 yards around them or go 29 yards to the sideline. The 40 time is pointless.

No, but that's not really what we are talking about. We are talking about being able to run and I don't care what anybody says, you better be able to run and run fast if you are going to play FS in a Tampa2. I don't care if you make him put his hand down and run or not, he better run fast. I guess I don't get the whole put your hand down thing. If anything, that helps your time so to me, if you can't run fast with your hands on the ground, then you probably can't run fast if you are standing up either.

I like Vaccaro. I'm a Texas fan so it's not like I don't want to see him get drafted but I also know what happens to players from Texas who join the Cowboys and don't play like Pro Bowlers. Vaccaro's stats are OK, but they are not head and shoulders above guys who we might be able to get lower in the draft and, they are not as good as some of the guys who have been taken high in years past.

If Vaccaro can run, then he should be able to run at his Pro Day. Everybody claims, year in and year out, that the Texas track is faster so the times should be better yeah?

As for Kiffen or whomever and what they think about Vaccaro, nobody hear really knows what anybody thinks about these players. I agree that he should know more then anybody on this board and if that's his guy, then OK, but to say that this is a certainty is not even close to a factual statement. We don't know what anybody thinks of anybody yet.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5019487 said:
I don't think anybody ever said that all that was important was a great 40 time. However, that doesn't mean that being able to run is not important because I think it is. I think that if you are talking about taking a Safety at 18, you want a guy who can play for you. Especially when there are guys later in the draft who do have better measurables.

Your getting lost in the combine. Vacarro numbers were good all but the 40 and the pro day if he runs a mid 4.5 then its good.

Your lost in combine numbers and not the player, by what your saying you would draft taylor Mays over jarius Byrd or ed reed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5019524 said:
No, but that's not really what we are talking about. We are talking about being able to run and I don't care what anybody says, you better be able to run and run fast if you are going to play FS in a Tampa2. I don't care if you make him put his hand down and run or not, he better run fast. I guess I don't get the whole put your hand down thing. If anything, that helps your time so to me, if you can't run fast with your hands on the ground, then you probably can't run fast if you are standing up either.

I like Vaccaro. I'm a Texas fan so it's not like I don't want to see him get drafted but I also know what happens to players from Texas who join the Cowboys and don't play like Pro Bowlers. Vaccaro's stats are OK, but they are not head and shoulders above guys who we might be able to get lower in the draft and, they are not as good as some of the guys who have been taken high in years past.

If Vaccaro can run, then he should be able to run at his Pro Day. Everybody claims, year in and year out, that the Texas track is faster so the times should be better yeah?

As for Kiffen or whomever and what they think about Vaccaro, nobody hear really knows what anybody thinks about these players. I agree that he should know more then anybody on this board and if that's his guy, then OK, but to say that this is a certainty is not even close to a factual statement. We don't know what anybody thinks of anybody yet.

I agree but I also think being able to read and react is very important. I see have seen nothing in Vaccaro play that would suggest he is too slow. The guy is a very intense player and keeps great focus. He is solid hitter and a good cover man. Fact that he graded out as the highest prospect out of the safeties shows they see more than just a 40 time

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Rack Bauer;5019068 said:
If we traded UP for that waste of space Vacarro I'd burn VR to the ground.

Hell, I'd do that if we took him in the 2nd round.

Agree, I never understood the hype for this guy. Never saw anything special about him when I watched UT play.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
supercowboy8;5019530 said:
Your getting lost in the combine. Vacarro numbers were good all but the 40 and the pro day if he runs a mid 4.5 then its good.

Your lost in combine numbers and not the player, by what your saying you would draft taylor Mays over jarius Byrd or ed reed.

Not even close to true. I've watched Vaccaro play at Texas since the day he got there. The truth of the matter is that he was a better player in his Sophomore year then he was last year. That's just the truth of it. As for Taylor Mays, I never liked him and I'm on record with that. It's the difference between being able to run fast and being able to play football. Byrd should not be in this discussion because he's already proven what he can do, but more to the point, because he isn't on the board and, he didn't play in a Tampa2 scheme in Buffalo.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;5019533 said:
I agree but I also think being able to read and react is very important. I see have seen nothing in Vaccaro play that would suggest he is too slow. The guy is a very intense player and keeps great focus. He is solid hitter and a good cover man. Fact that he graded out as the highest prospect out of the safeties shows they see more than just a 40 time

Don't disagree with this but I think the proof will be in the pudding. He is a good player but he's far from a great player at this point in his development, IMO. He was a better tackler earlier in his career then he was later. That's a problem and you can't just dismiss that. Can he run? If he can, he should be able to show that. That's all I'm saying. If he can't run, then this scheme will eat him alive and it will be a nightmare around here and you know what I mean Dooms. I do not want to see that happen again.