Report: Dak Prescott counteroffer higher than Carson Wentz deal

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I was against paying him 30m. More than that is laughable in my opinion.

In 2017, the Cowboys were 6-4 with Zeke and 2-4 without him.
In 2018, the Cowboys were 7-2 with Coop and 3-4 without him.

IMO, Dak and all teams need to have great talent and depth to win. Aaron Rodgers might be the best QB in the NFL and he went 6-9-1 with a crap team around him.

Personally, I think the NFL as a whole is overvaluing the QB position. Its going crazy as teams are running for the cliff trying to outdo each other in giving QB's massive deals.

I think that particularly for the Cowboys, a "bus driver" QB could work. They have a fantastic offensive line when healthy. A great RB. Good receivers. Their defense should be improved. Dallas doesn't need a QB to carry them. They just need one that doesn't screw it all up.

I would have no issue with Dallas just keeping Dak on his current deal, trying to keep all the critical guys around him, adding even more talent through FA and then trying to find a bus driver in free agency next year.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Geez guys, it is called negotiations and both sides will eventually meet somewhere close to the middle. Although if you think Dak is going to get less than Wentz, well like it or not you will be wrong and still angry.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this may be where an edge can be had in this league of parity. It's never been easier to play QB, they cant be hit, receivers can run free without fear of their heads being taken off, virtually all of the rules favor the offense.

A smart team will find a way to design their game plans around lesser QBs and use the huge salary cap savings on the rest of the team.

A truly smart team will realize that the position has to be handled separately, outside of any other position. That quarterbacks need to be a special circumstance, in scouting, in drafting, in development, in contracts. They are unlike any position in sports, and teams need to handle that appropriately, outside of the salary cap. That means having great scouts to identify them, great coaching to maximize them, smart contracts to get them and keep them. But more resources need to be put into the position outside of the cap. And I feel that a smart team would have three or four guys in the pipeline in some capacity, be it offseason rosters, practice squad, whatever.

It appears to me, given the current salary trajectory for QBs that the new axiom will be:

" you can't win without a franchise QB but if you have one, you can't win because you paid him"

damned if you do, damned if you don't

maybe every team should have 1 exception for the salary cap where one salary doesnt go against the cap

That's been the case recently with most of the Super Bowl teams, save for the New England exception to every rule.

Both Philadelphia and the Rams were able to load up the rest of their team and make a run because they had the advantage of that rookie quarterback contract. We failed to use our window when we had it.

And it's not coincidence that the teams with the 6 highest paid quarterbacks all watched the playoffs from home.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's June 15th 2019 and still no contract for Dak?

Do you think that Jerry still might have a brain up there?

Let's all hope so.......

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Dallas was 4-12 the year before they drafted Dak. The best offensive line did nothing that year.
did you notice what happened to the GB packers a couple years ago when Rodgers suffered a season ending injury? They went from a SB comtender to one of the worst team sin the nfl on one play. The record the previous year before Dak arrived does not take away from the fact that when dak started in game 1 of his rookie year, he had as much talent on OFFENSE as any team in the nfl. Now you go twist and spin dak into being our savior, ill wait.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
i see no reason to rush into any contract that gives me nothing for getting into it early. Right now isn't the very worst time for the Cowboys to agree to any deal. Prescott isn't on the field and is assuming no risk of injury.

Wait until the preseason or the season starts, at that point, all of the added risk and pressure will be on him and on his agent to get a deal done.

Great points, I agree. While it’s true that another deal will drive up his price, the next man up is Geoff and the Rams have been clear that they’ll deal with him the next off-season.

Still, they better get either Dak or Cooper done before the end of the season, because they can’t franchise both.

glimmerman

Reaction score
And what year does Mahomes break the bank? He's just entering year three, and the Chiefs have a fifth year option to use as well. They don't have to pay him for at least three more years.

It's not fun, that's for sure.
I have heard they will give him a contract after this year. Much like we are trying to do. If he has a repeat year I figure he may get 37-40. That maybe high it might be more like 36.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Great points, I agree. While it’s true that another deal will drive up his price, the next man up is Geoff and the Rams have been clear that they’ll deal with him the next off-season.

Still, they better get either Dak or Cooper done before the end of the season, because they can’t franchise both.
Thinking they want to do both next. After that they have Jaylon and Jones. I think they let jones walk.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was against paying him 30m. More than that is laughable in my opinion.

In 2017, the Cowboys were 6-4 with Zeke and 2-4 without him.
In 2018, the Cowboys were 7-2 with Coop and 3-4 without him

IMO, Dak and all teams need to have great talent and depth to win. Aaron Rodgers might be the best QB in the NFL and he went 6-9-1 with a crap team around him.

Personally, I think the NFL as a whole is overvaluing the QB position. Its going crazy as teams are running for the cliff trying to outdo each other in giving QB's massive deals.

I think that particularly for the Cowboys, a "bus driver" QB could work. They have a fantastic offensive line when healthy. A great RB. Good receivers. Their defense should be improved. Dallas doesn't need a QB to carry them. They just need one that doesn't screw it all up.

I would have no issue with Dallas just keeping Dak on his current deal, trying to keep all the critical guys around him, adding even more talent through FA and then trying to find a bus driver in free agency next year.

May I ponder what our prospective +30 million a year annually QB was doing when Zeke or Coop was not there?
Doesn't seem he did much now,...... does it?

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have heard they will give him a contract after this year. Much like we are trying to do. If he has a repeat year I figure he may get 37-40. That maybe high it might be more like 36.

I'd gladly pay a little bit more if he proves worth it, even in that "36" range you mention, because I'd get this year at $2 million, saving me $30 million. I'm fine paying $2 million or so per year after saving that kind of money and getting another year to ensure it's worth it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
And what year does Mahomes break the bank? He's just entering year three, and the Chiefs have a fifth year option to use as well. They don't have to pay him for at least three more years.

It's not fun, that's for sure.

Stas.....you do understand most teams do not like letting their franchise QB see/play the final year their deals before extending. In fact, I'm not sure I can name five franchise QBs who rec'd the tag over the last ten years or so.

basel90

Reaction score
25-27 mil is his worth . If he says no , have him prove it this year and then evaluate him . If he reaches the Super Bowl or the game before , then he would have proven something.
If not , jason should be gone , and a new coach would have his say of who should be the QB , and not shackled by a long deal with a mediocre expensive Qb .

I am still haunted by Dak’s game against Tennessee at home and another one earlier before Cooper arrived . Dak could not beat anyone with his arm or acumen .

He is not worth more than 25 -27 mil yet .

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stas.....you do understand most teams do not like letting their franchise QB see/play the final year their deals before extending. In fact, I'm not sure I can name five franchise QBs who rec'd the tag over the last ten years or so.

Are you referring to rookies or veterans?

And you do understand that rookies are only allowed to even begin to negotiate a new contract after their third season, right?

Take note that despite being the first pick overall, and going to the Super Bowl, the Rams haven't rushed to give Jared Goff that big extension, have they?

And there's little incentive for the Chiefs to give up three more years of relatively inexpensive play in a rush to give Mahomes a huge contract. If there's nothing in it for the team, the team shouldn't do it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'd gladly pay a little bit more if he proves worth it, even in that "36" range you mention, because I'd get this year at $2 million, saving me $30 million. I'm fine paying $2 million or so per year after saving that kind of money and getting another year to ensure it's worth it.
It’s just the conservative nature in me to want to save the couple million a year to help pay team mates around him. Every little bit counts.

While I agree with what your saying I am going off what I hear from JJ and SJ that they are going to pay him regardless of what we want. They are sold and convinced on him it seems. So if they are anyways then save the money now. I want to keep Cooper and Jaylon and maybe even Elliot if he can get his act together.

csirl

Reaction score
I just dont get it.

He's under contract and he's not a difference maker. Would be a backup on most teams - and more than likely this will be his career path long term. We could get similar production for under €5m per year.

The elephant in the room that most on this and other threads ignore is that most of our coaching staff, including HC, are not signed for 2020. Even guys who left this offseason werent permanently replaced e.g. Linehan replaced by existing coach "acting up". It would be completely nuts to sign a QB to a long term deal in advance of sorting out the 2020 coaching staff.

My head tells me the Jones are being very sensible. Sweating the coaching staffs contracts and then letting the 2020 HC decide what QB he wants...unlikely to be Dak.

My heart tells me the Jones are going to make a very costly mistake that will take years to recover from.

Final point to ponder. Dak and Garrett's future are tied together.

Cowboys make a SB run in 2019 - they both get extended.

Cowboys are average or worse - both are gone (as likely means Dak has a bad season).

baltcowboy

Reaction score
did you notice what happened to the GB packers a couple years ago when Rodgers suffered a season ending injury? They went from a SB comtender to one of the worst team sin the nfl on one play. The record the previous year before Dak arrived does not take away from the fact that when dak started in game 1 of his rookie year, he had as much talent on OFFENSE as any team in the nfl. Now you go twist and spin dak into being our savior, ill wait.
I don't have to twist a thing. Dak is getting paid and he saved us from broken down Tony Oh No.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys knew this was coming.

When they finally approached Dak Prescott to broach the topic of his seemingly inevitable contract extension, they did so with an initial offer in hand. While it's unknown what their first offer was, what's known is that it was met with a counteroffer from Prescott and CAA, his representation. That counteroffer was made in late May, nearly a month after Russell Wilson became the highest-paid player in NFL history with a four-year, $140 million extension from the Seattle Seahawks that includes $107 million guaranteed money.

It, however, also happened around three weeks prior to the Philadelphia Eagles giving Carson Wentz a four-year, $128 million extension that itself includes $107 million in guarantees. It was a foregone conclusion Prescott wouldn't best Wilson's figures, which made that the ceiling — but Wentz just set a floor that carries a $32 million annual average salary (AAS) over the course of his true extension.

With that in tow, Prescott and CAA have reportedly lobbed an offer to the Cowboys that would put the former Rookie of the Year at an AAS of $34 million, according to Clarence Hill, Jr. of Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Of course, this is all a part of the negotiation process, wherein the club goes low and the player goes high, with the ultimate goal of both sides eventually meeting in the middle. The reality remains Prescott will likely land a deal worth more than $30 million per year, and even that's a tough sell now, thanks to Wentz.

By Patrik Walker
https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Article/Cowboys-Dak-Prescott-counteroffer-higher-than-Carson-Wentz-deal-132849152/?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=190613_183642_Dallas Cowboys&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=CA-89-18-08-4C-B7-7F-4E-28-9D-98-DD-5E-CE-44-EC190613_183642DallasCowboys

The idea that each new deal "sets the market" is absurd. Deals can be good or bad. Wentz's deal no more sets the market than Brady's deal.