Report: Dak Prescott counteroffer higher than Carson Wentz deal

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Let him play out this year and if he takes the team on his back and wins SB , pay him . Otherwise start over , with new coaching staff etc.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
did you notice what happened to the GB packers a couple years ago when Rodgers suffered a season ending injury? They went from a SB comtender to one of the worst team sin the nfl on one play. The record the previous year before Dak arrived does not take away from the fact that when dak started in game 1 of his rookie year, he had as much talent on OFFENSE as any team in the nfl. Now you go twist and spin dak into being our savior, ill wait.
Is he saying Dak was a savior, or merely saying a talented team also needs a high quality QB to have success?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Paying him 34 million will make us irrelevant for years to come...

And it would be lots of years too.

30+mil is 2 pro bowl players at current rates. It would cover Cooper and Zeke extensions. Zach was only 14mil per year last year.

Since we started with playing Dak, I've wanted us to be bringing in mid round running QBs to give us some option when we faced Dak's impending free agency. But Cooper was never a real option, and White has the look of a dud in the pocket and no runner at all.

I'm encouraged by reports of improved accuracy from Dak. He could end up being worth that salary. But I think QBs are not that hard to find. We found Tony, Matt Moore, and Dak while spending very limited resources. We should have been spending such resources *more often* to give us a better chance of hitting.

Birdgang

Reaction score
Patty Mahomes should not even be in the convo yet. He has started one year and we all know how many one year wonders there have been in NFL. Much like Deshaun Watson who has not got back to that one year of greatness. You want to see your QB improve each year not regress.... Dak who unlikely will hit his rookie year level again. No tape on him and Zeke played a big part in it for sure. But Dak has been pretty dam consistent with all of his stats and you cant blame him for a stale offense. If cowboys wait to pay him price is only going to go up and also give him more of the power ... just liek Kirk Coupons started to gain on the Redksins. Cowboys have been pretty lucky with Qbs and should not take it for granted. This is a thing that could send the team into hell for another1/4 century

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Is he saying Dak was a savior, or merely saying a talented team also needs a high quality QB to have success?
Pay attention... that was my entire point. To say that Dak came to a 4-12 team, while factually correct doesnt come close to telling the story of what Dak got to come to. Most rookies that start in the NFL come to a very bad team. That was far from thre truth with Dak, regardless of the team's record the year before he arrived. The reason the team was 4-12 was pretty evident. Had Romo stayed healthy that year, the team was a SB contender.

Lets not make it like Dak came to a very bad team and in his first year turned them all the way around. He came to a very good team and played very well and played a huge role in that record.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Especially with a running type of QB. They will be taking shots at him.
It could also be some sort of freak play. The main thing is it could happen, and Dak has no security at this point.
It is also like Jones boys are saying to him we dont know if your good enough for a big contract yet.
Imagine if Dak did a hold out this year? That would drive everyone crazy. Do what bell did.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pay attention... that was my entire point. To say that Dak came to a 4-12 team, while factually correct doesnt come close to telling the story of what Dak got to come to. Most rookies that start in the NFL come to a very bad team. That was far from thre truth with Dak, regardless of the team's record the year before he arrived. The reason the team was 4-12 was pretty evident. Had Romo stayed healthy that year, the team was a SB contender.

Lets not make it like Dak came to a very bad team and in his first year turned them all the way around. He came to a very good team and played very well and played a huge role in that record.

You apparently need to pay attention because in your haste to be a jerk my simple and obvious point sailed over your head.

I didn’t say the Cowboys didn’t have talent or that Dak didn’t step into a good situation, and my point was that I’m not sure the guy you responded to said that either. He may well have been saying even talented teams need a good QB to be successful, which was proven in 2015, yet you simply assumed he was saying Dak was the savior of a very bad team.

Last edited:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

"I'm out!"

Fire407

Reaction score
Patty Mahomes should not even be in the convo yet. He has started one year and we all know how many one year wonders there have been in NFL. Much like Deshaun Watson who has not got back to that one year of greatness. You want to see your QB improve each year not regress.... Dak who unlikely will hit his rookie year level again. No tape on him and Zeke played a big part in it for sure. But Dak has been pretty dam consistent with all of his stats and you cant blame him for a stale offense. If cowboys wait to pay him price is only going to go up and also give him more of the power ... just liek Kirk Coupons started to gain on the Redksins. Cowboys have been pretty lucky with Qbs and should not take it for granted. This is a thing that could send the team into hell for another1/4 century
I've seen enough of Mahomes to know he is going to be great for a long time barring injury. Last summer I had a pretty good idea of how good he would be and I made a point of drafting him in the second round of my fantasy league. Everyone said that was way too early, but I got the guy I wanted and I won the league setting records for our league in scoring. I also had Tyrek Hill and the combo was awesome. I would love to get Mahomes again this season if I can.

Corso

Reaction score
I've seen enough of Mahomes to know he is going to be great for a long time barring injury. Last summer I had a pretty good idea of how good he would be and I made a point of drafting him in the second round of my fantasy league. Everyone said that was way too early, but I got the guy I wanted and I won the league setting records for our league in scoring. I also had Tyrek Hill and the combo was awesome. I would love to get Mahomes again this season if I can.
Make a buck on that?

Fire407

Reaction score

That's the very reason I didn't think Garrett deserved COY the next year. The voters were blinded by the turnaround, but it was actually Garrett's fault that the team went 4 and 12 the year before. If they had gone 8 and 8 or 7 and 9 without Romo, like they should have, Garrett would not have received COY the next year.

erod

Reaction score
The roster is such that the time has to be now in Jerry's eyes. He's not long for this NFL world, and he knows it. He likely doesn't have another rebuild in him.

They have no other options at QB unless they're secretly psyched about Mike White. No sign of that to date.

They have to pay Dak twice what he's worth. They're checkmated. All that salary cap healing is about to go out the window again.

If they play the franchise game, the new CBA is coming, and QBs will soon be making $50-60 million per season.

Waiting for Wentz to sign bit them in the butt. They should do the franchise tag thing, and they know it, but they won't.

Dak won't embarass the orgnanization, and he'll be a good soldier. He won't be great, but he won't be terrible either. Average to slightly above. He's an important piece in that regard.

Minnesota's roster dictated they had to pay Kirk Cousins what they did. Same here.

erod

Reaction score

Dak inherited the best team for a rookie starter in NFL history. By a country mile.

Birdgang

Reaction score

Patty got to sit and not get thrown right in. That's one of the biggest things going for him. But the team will change big time from the start of last season. They also have a good amount of tape on him as well. The kid has an amazing arm to boot. But he is also stuff with Andy Reid, the King of almost. I wish the kid all the best, but Ive seen it too many times over the years. people go off an amazing first year and go crazy, we will know soon enough.

Corso

Reaction score
About $2000 for winning. Our league spreads the money around to second and third place as well. We meet every year in Vegas for the draft. It's a blast.
Sounds super fun!

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
They should just make Prescott the highest-paid quarterback in football. Give him the 36 million a year, and he'll be happy. If Dak gets 34 what do you think Goff will get? It's going to be more. Again it looks like the Eagles front office are the smartest out of the bunch again. It pays to be proactive not sit back and watch. We should have signed him last year towards the end of the year in the mid-20s.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Lol. This is hilarious.

How are Wince's stats and ratings in the playoffs? Oooh, he's never played in them! LMAO

Look at Dak's playoff stats and ratings. BOOM!!!!
:yourock:
:hammer:

There go those goalposts.

Tell me, do you deny that Wentz had a better passer rating than Dak in 2017 and 2018?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
How about Dak’s .647 winning percentage (including playoffs) against Wentz’s .575. Wentz is a loser compared to Dak.

Archie Manning had a 35-104 record as a pro. As has been pointed out many, many times of this site, winning football games is not a one-man show. There are many factors that go into it.

Johnny23

Reaction score
@stasheroo the Chiefs are on record as saying they're prepared to Mahomes 40+ million and are interested in getting the deal done early. He already has a league MVP under his belt.