Report: Tua Tagovailoa off 3 NFL Draft Boards; Injuries Concern Scouts, Execs

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think it's valid questions, but even in the NFL, it doesn't seem to be as cut and dry that this injury is a doom sentence. You have an example of Pitta and an example of Mosley. One recurred (among other injuries) and Mosley who hasn't been phased by it. Jackson's seems to have been more severe.

Those are the interesting precedents to consider. Mosley was fortunate to play another 2 years in college to show that his hip wasn't a problem. Tua doesn't have that luxury.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Other players have had this injury, as Pitta even mention, CJ Mosley had this injury. And I don't remember Mosley having issues with it at all. Also, just from reading, Bo Jackson's injury was different - he suffered avascular necrosis, both Pitta and Tua didn't.

And I'm not even saying I would take Tua at 17. I actually really like this QB draft and think we could grab a good one in the second or third round if we go that route.
They don’t know if Tua will develop AVN. It’s not an issue that manifests immediately. No didn’t have it right away either. The first 12-18 months is the critical phase where the development of AVN is much more likely, although a still relatively minor chance (~15%)
You’re right. The problem, and what worries GM’s, is that AVN doesn’t cause your joint to just explode. If he were an accountant, AVN wouldn’t be career threatening.

One of the reasons Bo went to play baseball is because as he developed the arthritis , it was easier to play baseball than football.

If Tua’s injury had happened two years ago, people would feel much better about his outlook because testing would be much more conclusive.

the only real gamble right now is what happens over the next 12-18 months

Oh, other than the fact that Tua is, in general, injury prone and has never finished a season without being benched due to being hurt.

AVN or no AVN, his injury history, at such a critical position, and for such a high pick, is a real and legitimate concern

all that being said, I take him at 18, redshirt him this season and see what happens next or season. It would likely mean the end of Dak but I’m not down for going through this off season insanity again unless Dak takes us to the NFC championship

joseephuss

Reaction score
They don’t know if Tua will develop AVN. It’s not an issue that manifests immediately. No didn’t have it right away either. The first 12-18 months is the critical phase where the development of AVN is much more likely, although a still relatively minor chance (~15%)
You’re right. The problem, and what worries GM’s, is that AVN doesn’t cause your joint to just explode. If he were an accountant, AVN wouldn’t be career threatening.

One of the reasons Bo went to play baseball is because as he developed the arthritis , it was easier to play baseball than football.

If Tua’s injury had happened two years ago, people would feel much better about his outlook because testing would be much more conclusive.

the only real gamble right now is what happens over the next 12-18 months

Oh, other than the fact that Tua is, in general, injury prone and has never finished a season without being benched due to being hurt.

AVN or no AVN, his injury history, at such a critical position, and for such a high pick, is a real and legitimate concern

all that being said, I take him at 18, redshirt him this season and see what happens next or season. It would likely mean the end of Dak but I’m not down for going through this off season insanity again unless Dak takes us to the NFC championship

I think Bo developed AVN within a month of his injury.

jnday

Reaction score
Sure you can list those names.

Of course Dak is just as good as Wentz and better then Goff.

so wanting to replace him
For a similar player doesn’t make much sense.
If you can replace him for a fraction of his salary, it makes tons of sense.

jnday

Reaction score
So did the Chiefs when they moved on from Alex Smith to select Patrick Mahomes.

We are in the Alex Smith era and now we need to go find our Patrick Mahomes.
This is a big problem for the team and a lot of fans. They are scared to gamble and they will accept mediocrity over the risk it takes to get better. They accept mediocrity for the next 10 years with hopes that Dak is good enough under the right conditions. Those conditions are unrealistic. Dallas is not going to have the best defense in the league while also having the best RB, WRs, OL, special teams, coaching, etc. that it will take for Dak to win a Super Bowl. It is much less of a risk to draft another QB than it is too count on having all positions on the team being among the top five at their positions. Jerry used to be a gambler. What happened to that guy?

Kwyn

Reaction score
This is a big problem for the team and a lot of fans. They are scared to gamble and they will accept mediocrity over the risk it takes to get better. They accept mediocrity for the next 10 years with hopes that Dak is good enough under the right conditions. Those conditions are unrealistic. Dallas is not going to have the best defense in the league while also having the best RB, WRs, OL, special teams, coaching, etc. that it will take for Dak to win a Super Bowl. It is much less of a risk to draft another QB than it is too count on having all positions on the team being among the top five at their positions. Jerry used to be a gambler. What happened to that guy?
No, it’s not less of a risk. Tua is risk incarnate. No one knows if he can even be successful at the pro level. His game is not flawless. On ton of everything he is going to be hurt. A lot.

Dak has played every game the last four years

He only missed two games in his entire college career.

he’s has an excellent TD:TO ratio.

He’s pretty much the opposite of risk

if Tua was the best prospect in ten years. Then the injury risk might be worth it but he’s not even the best prospect in his own draft class.

Dont make him out to be Joe Montana

Johnny23

Reaction score
Apparently me settling for mediocrity
If you're okay with maybe a wildcard win once every 3 years and being and mediocre 8-8 or 9-7 team. Then absolutely you are because that's exactly what we have been the bulk of Dak's career here. We are literally a 9-7 team the last 3 years of Dak's career by the numbers. It's as mediocre as you can get. Especially if you're nowhere near a super bowl team and that myth we are has been smashed.

jnday

Reaction score
No, it’s not less of a risk. Tua is risk incarnate. No one knows if he can even be successful at the pro level. His game is not flawless. On ton of everything he is going to be hurt. A lot.

Dak has played every game the last four years

He only missed two games in his entire college career.

he’s has an excellent TD:TO ratio.

He’s pretty much the opposite of risk

if Tua was the best prospect in ten years. Then the injury risk might be worth it but he’s not even the best prospect in his own draft class.

Dont make him out to be Joe Montana
Have I quoted one stat or made one comment supporting him. I responded to the end of the post saying that if there was a similar player as Dak, why risk it or something like that. I was responding that the salary cap is worth the risk if the players are similar. My response doesn’t strictly apply to Tua. It can apply to any similar player that could replace Dak for a fraction of the cost. You are trying to argue about something that I never mentioned. I only responded with one maybe two sentences.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Have I quoted one stat or made one comment supporting him. I responded to the end of the post saying that if there was a similar player as Dak, why risk it or something like that. I was responding that the salary cap is worth the risk if the players are similar. My response doesn’t strictly apply to Tua. It can apply to any similar player that could replace Dak for a fraction of the cost. You are trying to argue about something that I never mentioned. I only responded with one maybe two sentences.

You didn’t mention the cap ** all. You said Dak was mediocre and required some perfect storm to succeed while implying Tua would be better.

Cheaper, sure. Riskier, 100% right

If you want to being cap into it, that’s fine.

Having Dak on another year of his rookie contract would not have saved Byron Jones and wouldn’t have saved Quinn. Both got ridiculous deals elsewhere and we weren’t, and aren’t, willing to pay sign up for that even though we are not capped out.

Cap concerns are largely a fabrication in fandom. The cap and the CBA are both pretty easily managed by any team that has a modicum or restraint and Self-control.

You pick your spots to overspend. QB is the absolute best example of a position where almost every team is willing to overspend. If you can avoid overspending on a third wide receiver or a one-trick pony DE, it’s perfectly fine to spend on your QB

I took your post as being one that was making the argument want that Tua is the better QB

My position on that would be if we consider our ever narrowing window of opportunity, it would be a long shot at best.

mid I misunderstood then I apologize.

They are scared to gamble and they will accept mediocrity over the risk it takes to get better. They accept mediocrity for the next 10 years with hopes that Dak is good enough under the right conditions. Those conditions are unrealistic. Dallas is not going to have the best defense in the league while also having the best RB, WRs, OL, special teams, coaching, etc. that it will take for Dak to win a Super Bowl. It is much less of a risk to draft another QB than it is too count on having all positions on the team being among the top five at their positions. Jerry used to be a gambler. What happened to that guy?

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
That is a petty stat. If it was meaningful Pat Mahomes and Russell Wilson wouldn't be lower than Dak. That's right! Mahomes and Wilson had a lower red zone completion percentage in 2019 than Dak Prescott. Do you still insist on cherry-picking stats to fit your biased narrative?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/redzone-passing.htm
Ahhhh your finally getting it. This is exactly why you cant look at stats for Dak Prescott. His wins are meaningless and so are his yards. And the biggest joke is him making a high percentage of tight window throws. You see why your hard paper facts are no good. You have to use your eyes and see how he plays under different circumstances.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Ahhhh your finally getting it. This is exactly why you cant look at stats for Dak Prescott. His wins are meaningless and so are his yards. And the biggest joke is him making a high percentage of tight window throws. You see why your hard paper facts are no good. You have to use your eyes and see how he plays under different circumstances.
Nope, you're wrong as usual. Stats matter but you have to know which ones to pay attention to and which ones to ingnore. Analytics is a real thing that serious sports managers pay folks big money to keep track of. Will McClay is into it and McCarthy believes in it as well. Maybe you saw the movie, "Money Ball". It's a baseball move but it's a true story about using analytics to get an advantage over your competition. Analytics has been proven time and time again to work. If math and science are above your intellengence level then I completely understand why you don't get it. The analytics guys with the Cowboys have crunched all the numbers and thats why Dak just got slapped with the exclusive rights franchise tag. Daks job security is secure.

phildadon86

Reaction score
So then romos wins are the same because he never won a thing either correct?

Hadenough

Reaction score
Nope, you're wrong as usual. Stats matter but you have to know which ones to pay attention to and which ones to ingnore. Analytics is a real thing that serious sports managers pay folks big money to keep track of. Will McClay is into it and McCarthy believes in it as well. Maybe you saw the movie, "Money Ball". It's a baseball move but it's a true story about using analytics to get an advantage over your competition. Analytics has been proven time and time again to work. If math and science are above your intellengence level then I completely understand why you don't get it. The analytics guys with the Cowboys have crunched all the numbers and thats why Dak just got slapped with the exclusive rights franchise tag. Daks job security is secure.
Wrong! The reason he got slapped with the franchise tag is he is unreasonable. Yeah those analytics are a great thing. They have worked so well for the browns. I guess Will McClays system had Dak above the other QBs Dallas was trying so desperately to get they ended up with the 3rd girl they asked to the dance. Lmao!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Wrong! The reason he got slapped with the franchise tag is he is unreasonable. Yeah those analytics are a great thing. They have worked so well for the browns. I guess Will McClays system had Dak above the other QBs Dallas was trying so desperately to get they ended up with the 3rd girl they asked to the dance. Lmao!
Wrong, being unreasonable and sucking gets you cut. Being good and wanting to be paid accordingly gets you slapped with the franchise tag. Cleveland football has nothing to do with this conversation. Everything they touch turns to crap.