big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Report updates what Cowboys' Trey Lance improved after ankle injury
Story by Zac Wassink, Yardbarker 7/19/2024

BB1qdRaX.img

In a story published on Thursday, Todd Archer of ESPN detailed how private quarterback coach Jeff Christensen has helped Dallas Cowboys quarterback Trey Lance following Lance's gruesome ankle injury that caused him to need multiple surgeries in 2022.

"The major change was to his footwork," Archer said about Lance's development. "Christensen wanted Lance to be more 'violent' with his lower body. And a slight change in his grip took away pain he had felt in his arm."

Archer noted that "Lance and Christensen partnered up 15 months ago" when the 24-year-old was recovering from his ankle injury with the San Francisco 49ers after Brock Purdy had emerged as San Francisco's full-time starting signal-caller when healthy. Lance ultimately lost the primary backup job with the 49ers to Sam Darnold, and San Francisco traded Lance to Dallas last August.

More: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=17c55365bfd54d218b4853a33c6cbae5&ei=22

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Lance will win the starting job in preseason.

It will just take a little while before he officially takes over the starting job.

The battle will be won many weeks before the war is over.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't wait to see Lance in some preseason games. But that will be debated pros and cons regardless.

Some will say he looks great and will be the QB in 2025. Others will say it was only against scrubs.
Depending how one views the QB situation.

:popcorn: on this one.

This is what I am looking forward to most in TC. I like the idea of a young QB with potential taking over.
Not to be against Dak, I will root for him because he will be the starting QB. However, it is time for a change. Especially if bounced in the playoffs and a repeated performance of the past 2 years.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It will just take a little while before he officially takes over the starting job.

It would not surprise me if Trey Lance is named the starting quarterback if-and-when Dak Prescott either a) is not signed to a new contract or extension; or b) is injured during the course of the upcoming preseason or regular season and is not signed to a new contract or extension. The Mad Genius did not go Lone Wolf and acquired Lance to simply model Microsoft Surface tablets standing on the sideline.

It would be an ordinary football transition if 'It will just take a little while before he officially takes over the starting job' equates to one of the two hypotheticals in the previous paragraph. I mean why would it not happen at the time Prescott cannot play or when Prescott is no longer on the roster?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It would not surprise me if Trey Lance is named the starting quarterback if-and-when Dak Prescott either a) is not signed to a new contract or extension; or b) is injured during the course of the upcoming preseason or regular season and is not signed to a new contract or extension. The Mad Genius did not go Lone Wolf and acquired Lance to simply model Microsoft Surface tablets standing on the sideline.

It would be an ordinary football transition if 'It will just take a little while before he officially takes over the starting job' equates to one of the two hypotheticals in the previous paragraph. I mean why would it not happen at the time Prescott cannot play or when Prescott is no longer on the roster?
Why more people don’t realize that Jerry didn’t, and never would, trade for a back up QB is beyond me.

That’s not how Jerry has ever operated since he became owner. That’s not a “sexy” move.

The second that trade went through it was set in stone that barring some kind of travesty happening Lance is going to get his shot.

Dak not doing himself any favors was just a bonus for Jerry and his lack of a new contract only further shows that Jerry didn’t bring Lance in to play benchwarmer.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

Win the starting job in Preseason??....NO.... Dak is the starter on this team.....Lance will win the backup role for this season and depending on how he looks if he gets a chance to play this year if Dak is injured, then I can see Dallas moving on from Dak after this year and signing Trey Lance as the starter next year.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why more people don’t realize that Jerry didn’t, and never would, trade for a back up QB is beyond me.

That’s not how Jerry has ever operated since he became owner. That’s not a “sexy” move.

The second that trade went through it was set in stone that barring some kind of travesty happening Lance is going to get his shot.

Dak not doing himself any favors was just a bonus for Jerry and his lack of a new contract only further shows that Jerry didn’t bring Lance in to play benchwarmer.
Trey Lance's 'shot' will never occur until Dak Prescott is no longer wearing a Dallas Cowboys jersey. That has not happened yet. It is understandable why anyone is banking on that eventuality but Jerry Jones' true history as a GM suggests he will back his incumbent 'franchise' quarterback if-and-until either: a) he succumbs to injury; or b) he weeds himself off the roster--while the non-starter maximizes their opportunity starting in their place. Banking on the Mad Genius to do what he has not done previously is a shaky commitment.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Report updates what Cowboys' Trey Lance improved after ankle injury
Story by Zac Wassink, Yardbarker 7/19/2024

BB1qdRaX.img

In a story published on Thursday, Todd Archer of ESPN detailed how private quarterback coach Jeff Christensen has helped Dallas Cowboys quarterback Trey Lance following Lance's gruesome ankle injury that caused him to need multiple surgeries in 2022.

"The major change was to his footwork," Archer said about Lance's development. "Christensen wanted Lance to be more 'violent' with his lower body. And a slight change in his grip took away pain he had felt in his arm."

Archer noted that "Lance and Christensen partnered up 15 months ago" when the 24-year-old was recovering from his ankle injury with the San Francisco 49ers after Brock Purdy had emerged as San Francisco's full-time starting signal-caller when healthy. Lance ultimately lost the primary backup job with the 49ers to Sam Darnold, and San Francisco traded Lance to Dallas last August.

More: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=17c55365bfd54d218b4853a33c6cbae5&ei=22
Archer said on GBag nation that you could see the 1st round talent when he saw Lance training with the guy who trains Mahomes. Of course the next sentence he said the Cowboys could flip him for a draft choice. :facepalm: :laugh:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Trey Lance's 'shot' will never occur until Dak Prescott is no longer wearing a Dallas Cowboys jersey. That has not happened yet. It is understandable why anyone is banking on that eventuality but Jerry Jones' true history as a GM suggests he will back his incumbent 'franchise' quarterback if-and-until either: a) he succumbs to injury; or b) he weeds himself off the roster--while the non-starter maximizes their opportunity starting in their place. Banking on the Mad Genius to do what he has not done previously is a shaky commitment.
You let the Cowboys go into the bye week 1-5 or 2-4 with Dak playing horrible football while the fans renew their trash throwing at him and watch what happens.

Oh and the game coming out of the Bye? Dak’s favorite opponent. San Francisco.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You let the Cowboys go into the bye week 1-5 or 2-4 with Dak playing horrible football while the fans renew their trash throwing at him and watch what happens.
"You let." lol.

Question: Can you define horrible football performance evaluation in Jerry Jones' perspective? I am not asking your perspective.

It is understood how you evaluate Dak Prescott's capabilities and performance level as an NFL quarterback. The question here is the same as it has always been since 1989: What Would Jerry Do?

In my opinion based on what I have observed of the man for three and a half decades, Jones will stick with Prescott in an 0-6 run unless Prescott is averaging 3-4 interceptions, 1-2 fumbles, and a buck 25 passing per game during that stretch. In other words, truly h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e football.

What some people do not stop-and-consider is this is the same man who stuck with Quincy Carter--who he reached for in the draft, dumped Tony Banks as his mentor before the regular season started and supported him 100%--UP to the day Carter smoked himself off the team. And yet, people think Jones will easily give up on Prescott??? The same man who booted a two-time defending Super Bowl coach out of the franchise?

Hey. Anything can happen. People can ride-or-die for how they think Jones thinks. Good luck.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
"You let." lol.

Question: Can you define horrible football performance evaluation in Jerry Jones' perspective? I am not asking your perspective.

It is understood how you evaluate Dak Prescott's capabilities and performance level as an NFL quarterback. The question here is the same as it has always been since 1989: What Would Jerry Do?

In my opinion based on what I have observed of the man for three and a half decades, Jones will stick with Prescott in an 0-6 run unless Prescott is averaging 3-4 interceptions, 1-2 fumbles, and a buck 25 passing per game during that stretch. In other words, truly h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e football.

What some people do not stop-and-consider is this is the same man who stuck with Quincy Carter--who he reached for in the draft, dumped Tony Banks as his mentor before the regular season started and supported him 100%--UP to the day Carter smoked himself off the team. And yet, people think Jones will easily give up on Prescott??? The same man who booted a two-time defending Super Bowl coach out of the franchise?

Hey. Anything can happen. People can ride-or-die for how they think Jones thinks. Good luck.
Agree to disagree.

Lance is the new hand picked toy. Literally didn’t care to even tell McCarthy or Dak he was trading for him.

Many also thought that Jerry’s son like relationship with Romo guaranteed his job be handed back as soon as he was healthy also.

Jerry can’t wait to throw Lance out there.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
He should be allowed to shine in preseason if for nothing more than becoming trade bait.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree to disagree.

Lance is the new hand picked toy. Literally didn’t care to even tell McCarthy or Dak he was trading for him.

Many also thought that Jerry’s son like relationship with Romo guaranteed his job be handed back as soon as he was healthy also.

Jerry can’t wait to throw Lance out there.
Trey Lance is Jerry Jones' fallback option.

Jones and Romo's relationship was rock solid until Romo's latest injury sidelined him and Prescott performed so well that Romo became expendable in his opinion. Anyone not observing what occurred in real time--a.k.a. the team chemistry mass euphoria event--were not very observant.

35+ years. And some people still do not understand how Jerral Wayne Jones Sr. ticks.

RS12

Reaction score
"You let." lol.

In your Jerry sticks with Dak unless scenario, that would be based on his obsession with not paying people to not work I am guessing. That is the only reason McCarthy is back after the shameful disapearing act against GB.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In your Jerry sticks with Dak unless scenario, that would be based on his obsession with not paying people to not work I am guessing. That is the only reason McCarthy is back after the shameful disapearing act against GB.
That is partially true in my opinion. Jones does not like paying top dollar for the best head coaches. That is true. At the same time, he will squeeze every penny out of his puppet head coach, while believing his choice is the best person for the job. Three 12-5 regular season finishes enforces his GM perception.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Can't wait to see Lance in the preseason. I doubt he's "the answer", but it's nice to see Dallas start to take some chances and devote some resources to the position. They need to keep doing it regardless.

The Green Bay disaster was a real eye opener for Jerry. That changed his thinking at the QB position.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Nobody would be happier with Lance's success in the preseason than Jerry Jones. He'll just have to make it happen. Therein lies the catch! ;)