Report updates what Cowboys' Trey Lance improved after ankle injury

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The sad part is you actually believe there’s an actual competition going on between him and Rush.
It’s not going to be a fair competition because McCarthy has already stated that Lance will get the majority of preseason snaps. The Cowboys know what Cooper Rush can do and they want to see a lot of Lance. It’s his job to lose but, if he doesn’t perform well in camp and preseason, he will lose. The Cowboys have won games with Cooper Rush so they have some confidence in him. He helped salvage their season in 2022 with five wins while Dak was injured.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I am guessing that Jerry does want Dak back, but only at his price, whatever it might be. I also believe that Jerry & Jr know Dak will not accept this best and final offer, leading to him testing FA in the off-season. This also leads me to believe if this is the thinking they need to know asap if Trey can be a serviceable QB....if this is the case than they keys to the kingdom need to be handed over to him sooner than later. Agree or disagree this is the only scenario I can think of for why this off season has been one of no action

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s not going to be a fair competition because McCarthy has already stated that Lance will get the majority of preseason snaps. The Cowboys know what Cooper Rush can do and they want to see a lot of Lance. It’s his job to lose but, if he doesn’t perform well in camp and preseason, he will lose. The Cowboys have won games with Cooper Rush so they have some confidence in him. He helped salvage their season in 2022 with five wins while Dak was injured.
I don't think he really wants to talk to you much anymore, KJJ, since you said that Dak is a HOF QB.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
So much for your claim that you blocked me. I knew that was bogus and would lure you into responding. Lol

You’re the only one getting laughed at. Lance is competing for the backup job. His competition will be Cooper Rush. What Lance does in preseason is going to have no effect on Dak’s contract situation. Lance could light it up and it won’t matter, because he’ll be playing against mostly backups and bubble players. Starters play very little in preseason. The only way Lance could have an effect on Dak’s contract situation, is if he were to get an opportunity during the regular season due to Dak being injured and he performs exceptionally well. It’s what he can do against “starters” in games that count, that could win him the job, causing the Cowboys to allow Dak to walk.

This is how Dak won the job. He got an opportunity during the regular season due to Romo’s injury and performed exceptionally well. He ended up stealing the job from Romo, which spelled the end for Romo in Dallas. If a QB “wins” a starting job, they’re starting immediately! There’s no such thing as a QB “winning” the starting job and having to wait to take over later in the season. Don’t know where you came up with that, but it’s laughable. Lol
lol at you thinking I'm reading all that.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It would not surprise me if Trey Lance is named the starting quarterback if-and-when Dak Prescott either a) is not signed to a new contract or extension; or b) is injured during the course of the upcoming preseason or regular season and is not signed to a new contract or extension. The Mad Genius did not go Lone Wolf and acquired Lance to simply model Microsoft Surface tablets standing on the sideline.

It would be an ordinary football transition if 'It will just take a little while before he officially takes over the starting job' equates to one of the two hypotheticals in the previous paragraph. I mean why would it not happen at the time Prescott cannot play or when Prescott is no longer on the roster?
ahhh, hate to inform you. Dak won't play in preseason games.

also, Dallas didn't pick up Lance's option for 25. Essentially dallas has no QBs under contract in 25....which mean Lance can go play for anybody....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Win the starting job in Preseason??....NO.... Dak is the starter on this team.....Lance will win the backup role for this season and depending on how he looks if he gets a chance to play this year if Dak is injured, then I can see Dallas moving on from Dak after this year and signing Trey Lance as the starter next year.
no guarantees he wins the back up role. although they may want him to so he doesn't look like an idiot for making the trade.

Lance is a FA in 25. Dak is a FA in 25. and so is Rush.

meaning cowboys have no QBs under contract for 25....

Chasing6

Reaction score
Can't wait to see Lance in some preseason games. But that will be debated pros and cons regardless.

Some will say he looks great and will be the QB in 2025. Others will say it was only against scrubs.
Depending how one views the QB situation.

:popcorn: on this one.

This is what I am looking forward to most in TC. I like the idea of a young QB with potential taking over.
Not to be against Dak, I will root for him because he will be the starting QB. However, it is time for a change. Especially if bounced in the playoffs and a repeated performance of the past 2 years.
I would rather have a young QB with a high floor like Purdy.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
next thing you know, you will get accused of being a Dak supporter because you criticized Lance. if you don't speak negatively about Dak 24x7 and incessently then you are a Dak supporter.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Report updates what Cowboys' Trey Lance improved after ankle injury
Story by Zac Wassink, Yardbarker 7/19/2024

BB1qdRaX.img

In a story published on Thursday, Todd Archer of ESPN detailed how private quarterback coach Jeff Christensen has helped Dallas Cowboys quarterback Trey Lance following Lance's gruesome ankle injury that caused him to need multiple surgeries in 2022.

"The major change was to his footwork," Archer said about Lance's development. "Christensen wanted Lance to be more 'violent' with his lower body. And a slight change in his grip took away pain he had felt in his arm."

Archer noted that "Lance and Christensen partnered up 15 months ago" when the 24-year-old was recovering from his ankle injury with the San Francisco 49ers after Brock Purdy had emerged as San Francisco's full-time starting signal-caller when healthy. Lance ultimately lost the primary backup job with the 49ers to Sam Darnold, and San Francisco traded Lance to Dallas last August.

More: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=17c55365bfd54d218b4853a33c6cbae5&ei=22
Everyone knows Trance needs experience, but he has been working on his footwork and his throwing mechanics.

Those things are usually figured out in HS, and perfected in college, with minor tweaks in the NFL.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Trance is garbage. He is not even a QB.
it's easy to say that for a guy who hasn't played the role of QB in the NFL yet. You could be right, you could be wrong but your argument is baseless at this point and training camp will sway the discussions one way or the other at least temporarily. Jordan was written off before the second half of last year....

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm excited to watch Lance in the preseason. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do and how he's learned the offense.

Chasing6

Reaction score
it's easy to say that for a guy who hasn't played the role of QB in the NFL yet. You could be right, you could be wrong but your argument is baseless at this point and training camp will sway the discussions one way or the other at least temporarily. Jordan was written off before the second half of last year....
It will not sway anything. Do you think he will play better than Will Greir did?

Where is Will Greir starting?

Chasing6

Reaction score
If anything, Will Grier's performance only enhanced how dumb GM Jethro's decision was to trade for Trance to begin with.

Needless to say, the tape was good. With Dak Prescott calling the plays, Grier rose to the occasion and simply had an outstanding game in leading the Cowboys to a 31-16 victory. In producing four of the team's touchdowns, he completed 82.9 percent of his passes for 305 yards and two touchdowns with a 122.0 passer rating. Grier also scrambled for 53 yards while adding two more scores on the ground.

Will's performance was arguably the past preseason performance in the history of the NFL.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The sad part is you actually believe there’s an actual competition going on between him and Rush.

I mean, maybe. But I think that they keep 3 QBs like they did last year. I think the battle there is to see who the 2nd and 3rd QBs are (3rd QB being the emergency QB given the new rule from last year). If Lance performs well in TC and preseason, then I see him being the 2nd QB who pushes Dak (and then, if Dak gets injured or plays really poorly, might get a chance to prove himself in the regular season) for the starting job through the season. If he completely flops in the preseason and TC, then I see him moving to the third spot.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ahhh, hate to inform you. Dak won't play in preseason games.

also, Dallas didn't pick up Lance's option for 25. Essentially dallas has no QBs under contract in 25....which mean Lance can go play for anybody....
My apologies. You are correct about Dak Prescott not playing during preseason. I was being overly thorough with my reply and was wrong.

2025 is 2025. I had also mentioned possibilities involving the upcoming season of 2024. Trey Lance will no longer be on the roster if Jerry Jones does not outbid or desire to outbid other GMs for his services in 2025 and beyond. Whether Lance plays for another team is his concern like any other player wanting to be paid. Que sera sera.