Reports: Marion Barber died from heat stroke

John813

Reaction score
What makes you think his decision making was not compromised?
How many people die of heat stroke in their own home that has a functional A/C, no matter his hot box yoga, or whatever proclivities?
Worldwide?
There are no definitive answers here.

There are no definite answers but right away people rushed and lazily said it had to be cte related the day of his death.
We will never know if he had cte or how bad it was. This could of been a **** luck issue where he just overtrained thinking he was 28 and not 38 knocking on 40 and his body couldn’t handle those exercises in the heat.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
So this much we know via the braintrust at the CZ:

He was in his apartment when he died.
He was a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright.
MB may have killed himself.
MB may have killed himself accidentally.
He likes exercise.
He likes sauna-like conditions when exercising.
No foul play is apparent.
He was too young to die.
We hope he's in heaven, skipping and frolicking.
Family is tight-lipped.
Those quick to suggest CTE are idiots.
It was a careless accident that could have been prevented.
Probably heat stroke.
He'll be missed.

Men, we could be junior detectives if we wanted to be.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
There are no definite answers but right away people rushed and lazily said it had to be cte related the day of his death.
We will never know if he had cte or how bad it was. This could of been a **** luck issue where he just overtrained thinking he was 28 and not 38 knocking on 40 and his body couldn’t handle those exercises in the heat.
I do seem to recall a few stories about him being a bit of an off character while he was playing for the Boys.
He really could tickle the Ivories though and I do love a good pianist.
Sad he's gone.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Was the AC not working in his apartment?

Much info missing from that report.

The thing about heat stroke is you can die from it later, it is not always instantly like many think. I had a friend who was a roofer and was hospitalized for heat stroke, died the next day. I spoke to him on the phone that evening prior and he sounded very discombobulated with slurred speech. Only 32 years old. Very sad. It is a serious matter.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The thing about heat stroke is you can die from it later, it is not always instantly like many think. I had a friend who was a roofer and was hospitalized for heat stroke, died the next day. I spoke to him on the phone that evening prior and he sounded very discombobulated with slurred speech. Only 32 years old. Very sad. It is a serious matter.

This report has forced me to rethink my stubborn insistence on working out at the track in the 100+ degree heat. Having grown up in Florida I have long prided myself with being able to stand up to blistering heat. Even taking it as a badge of honor that have been able to get out there and do my workout in that stuff. But I am about to be 62 years old and my daughter in law is expecting my first grandbaby this fall. It would be pretty stupid of me to get taken out trying to be macho in this Texas heat.. So I will do my work on the treadmill at 24 hour for the time being.

Haimerej

Reaction score
This report has forced me to rethink my stubborn insistence on working out at the track in the 100+ degree heat. Having grown up in Florida I have long prided myself with being able to stand up to blistering heat. Even taking it as a badge of honor that have been able to get out there and do my workout in that stuff. But I am about to be 62 years old and my daughter in law is expecting my first grandbaby this fall. It would be pretty stupid of me to get taken out trying to be macho in this Texas heat.. So I will do my work on the treadmill at 24 hour for the time being.

Heat stroke is no joke. Run early or late but don't try that heat. It's got better stamina.

Motorola

Reaction score
Back in college I suffered a heat stroke.
Had a summer intern job at a plant in West Virginia. I entered a 10K road race.
I already was fit (ran track in HS) and kept fit my freshman year working out. I had about 4 weeks to workout before race day. But due to my work schedule, I was doing my runs early in the morning before sunrise.
The race took place on a Saturday afternoon at 2pm (bad choice by race organizers).
I pushed it and ran well - but I began feeling uncomfortable halfway through during the sunny - high 80's- high humidity conditions.
At the finish line, my sight blurred and my body felt weird. Another runner looked at me, and with a concerned look and voice asked "Are you alright?"
I replied yes - then sat down. Next thing I knew - I was being transported by an EMS unit to a hospital.
Hours later I regained consciousness - lying in a bed of water. The medical personnel had placed me in a shell-like container packed with ice to reduce my body tempeature and keep my internal organs from being "cooked" and shutting down.

Flamma

Reaction score
I used to unload trucks for UPS. During the summer it was over 100 degrees in those trucks, and they wanted you to move. No stopping, no resting. I was 18 so I was able to deal with it. But I quit before the next summer rolled around.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Setting the thermostat to 91 is no accident. Those of you still calling him "Barbarian" should know he hated being called that. RIP, Marion Barber III.

CWR

Reaction score
What makes you think his decision making was not compromised?
How many people die of heat stroke in their own home that has a functional A/C, no matter his hot box yoga, or whatever proclivities?
Worldwide?
There are no definitive answers here.

Yeah I find it difficult to believe someone functioning clearly can push it to that point. There are no definitive answers, but to work out to the point of heat exhaustion and death (indoors) is very extreme. Had the ME said he suffered a heart attack post workout (for example) I'd be more inclined to believe natural causes. Going off of the things I've read about him after retirement I think he was still fighting demons, and they contributed.

I hope he's in a better place now.