Resign DeMarco Murray?

DavidS

Reaction score
I could see him blowing up and having 1,600 yards

cat-riding-a-fire-breathing-unicorn-16414-400x250.jpg

Yeah and you also believe in cats riding unicorns wielding guns

No thanks on any money to Murray, let him walk. Good backs are a dime a dozen, this isnt AP

Verdict

Reaction score
I would try to sign him to a reasonable deal. He is an above average back even though he is underutilized as a rusher. But he can take over a game.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I don't disagree but you don't pay for potential on the 2nd contract. Also have to consider the fact of where we rank in rushing attempts - dead last.

I wouldn't hold that against Murray. I feel like he could easily be a feature back. Definitely not a no-brainer re-signing, but if he is willing to take a modest contract I'd do it.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I wouldn't hold that against Murray. I feel like he could easily be a feature back. Definitely not a no-brainer re-signing, but if he is willing to take a modest contract I'd do it.

Hold it against or not, it doesn't change a thing. Dallas doesn't run.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
No one seems to be talking about the fact that this is the last season on Murray's rookie contract, he's up after the 2014 season. Should we re-sign him? Let him go after the season? Let it play out?

I'd like to lock him up now, might be risky given his health issues - however, I believe we can get a substantial discount as a result of it. I don't see him regressing, but I could see him blowing up and having 1,600 yards. If he was to blow up we'd be easily looking at 7.5M+ per season, right now we could likely lock him up in a 5 year deal worth ~4M per. Possibly even less if we were willing to guarantee a substantial portion.

Let him walk, running backs are a dime a dozen now days in the NFL. Unless you got Adrian Peterson, paying $7 or $8 million a year for a RB is just stupid.

"According the the NFL Players Association, the average career of an NFL player is 3.3 years. The players left the NFL for a variety of reasons. These include injury, retirement and being cut by their team.".................The shortest careers among NFL players tends to be those who hit and get hit the most during games and practice. Running backs have the shortest average careers of just 2.57 years. Wide receivers have average careers of 2.81 years. The average career for cornerbacks is 2.94 years."

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
I would try to keep Murray around.

Randle is so ridiculously slow and awkward that I do not trust these people to do any better.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Yea, tons of guys averaging 5 yards per carry for their career!

No., but there are a bunch of guys who can be as successful if not more on a team that passes a majority of the time in today's NFL..., but you keep believing that Demaco is some sort of elite RB based on his 5 yards per carry avg?
What is his avg after first contact?
How many tackles does he break ?
How many games / plays has he missed?

How many times do you think his name would be called in the future and how would his oft injured body respond?

Don't get me wrong , I like Demarco , but I wouldn't be throwing big $$$ at him or any other RB in today's game ... Especially on this team where a RB running seems like the 3rd option at times

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Someone will pay murray more than we would want to pay him. A team that likes to run the ball more.

Tawney88

Reaction score
No one seems to be talking about the fact that this is the last season on Murray's rookie contract, he's up after the 2014 season. Should we re-sign him? Let him go after the season? Let it play out?

I'd like to lock him up now, might be risky given his health issues - however, I believe we can get a substantial discount as a result of it. I don't see him regressing, but I could see him blowing up and having 1,600 yards. If he was to blow up we'd be easily looking at 7.5M+ per season, right now we could likely lock him up in a 5 year deal worth ~4M per. Possibly even less if we were willing to guarantee a substantial portion.

He isn't anything special. Nice back that can be found every year in the draft. This isn't Emmitt Smith or AP we are talking about. Let him play out his contract draft his replacement.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

We don't run the ball...no reason to bring up spoiled resources? A mid rounder with pass catching ability/blocking awareness would prove the same equivalent in this scheme.

theSHOW

Reaction score
Murray is a keeper. He won't be expensive but he may be ALLpro.

Fredd

Reaction score
It cracks me up when people say there are a dime a dozen backs in each draft...really? who this year? IMO, none of them are as good as murray...I would like them (the FO) to be savvy with what they want to pay him (of course), but to say he is like other backs that come in to the league is silly...the way people sound is that there are enough RB's in each draft to fulfill all of the NFL's needs...not so much...

...now, the real problem is that Dallas doesn't use RB's correctly, and Murray gets dinged...but when healthy, the guy is a very effective runner...instead of 4 yr/$20m, I would go a little lower, perhaps more like 4/$15m ($5m SB, $1m, $3m, $3m, $3m - $9m guaranteed); if he wants to do better elsewhere, then so be it...but, I wouldn't want him to be jettisoned just because of average life spans of RB's in the league

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
DeMarco can be very valuable but he can also oftentimes be hurt and unavailable as well. Whenever a contract is to be agreed upon, it must be factored into the deal. You don't pay top dollar for someone that may be available only if you're very fortunate.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
DeMarco Murray is entering his Age 26 season.

Let him walk unless he's the second coming of Adrian Peterson this year.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
DeMarco Murray is entering his Age 26 season.

Let him walk unless he's the second coming of Adrian Peterson this year.

It's post 30 they breakdown, not 26. Plus he doesn't have the mileage other guys do.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
It's post 30 they breakdown, not 26. Plus he doesn't have the mileage other guys do.

Post age 26 they decline. Adrian Peterson is the anomaly. Look at Chris Johnson when he hit 27, MJD, etc.

Unless you're built like a freight train like Marshawn Lynch or your name is Adrian Peterson, after Age 26 it starts to fall off.

He doesn't have the mileage other guys do and he's still not played a full 16 game season. Let him walk and add some 22-year old legs early in the draft in 2015.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Post age 26 they decline. Adrian Peterson is the anomaly. Look at Chris Johnson when he hit 27, MJD, etc.

Unless you're built like a freight train like Marshawn Lynch or your name is Adrian Peterson, after Age 26 it starts to fall off.

He doesn't have the mileage other guys do and he's still not played a full 16 game season. Let him walk and add some 22-year old legs early in the draft in 2015.

And hope he can learn the passing game and pick-ups. I would rather spend the money and keep Murray.

Which guys in this draft step right in and outperform Murray?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
And hope he can learn the passing game and pick-ups. I would rather spend the money and keep Murray.

Which guys in this draft step right in and outperform Murray?

Murray wouldn't be a free agent until next year.

We are not looking to add a running back this year.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I would try to keep Murray around.

Randle is so ridiculously slow and awkward that I do not trust these people to do any better.

Well if Murray left, I would hope that the plan was not to replace him with the most ordinary back we could possibly find.