Resign DeMarco Murray?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Murray wouldn't be a free agent until next year.

We are not looking to add a running back this year.

I know, but everyone says RBs are a dime a dozen. Which ones could step in this year? It's supposed to be a very deep draft. Hyde or Mason?

Free agency is supposedly down for guys like Tate, McFadden and others, so resigning for cheap money is a better option.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I know, but everyone says RBs are a dime a dozen. Which ones could step in this year? It's supposed to be a very deep draft. Hyde or Mason?

It is a poor RB group, much like last season. Probably will not see one drafted in the first round.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score

Free agency is supposedly down for guys like Tate, McFadden and others, so resigning for cheap money is a better option.

I think if we were going that direction, Tre Mason is probably the best option.

OhSnap

Reaction score
No one seems to be talking about the fact that this is the last season on Murray's rookie contract, he's up after the 2014 season. Should we re-sign him? Let him go after the season? Let it play out?

I'd like to lock him up now, might be risky given his health issues - however, I believe we can get a substantial discount as a result of it. I don't see him regressing, but I could see him blowing up and having 1,600 yards. If he was to blow up we'd be easily looking at 7.5M+ per season, right now we could likely lock him up in a 5 year deal worth ~4M per. Possibly even less if we were willing to guarantee a substantial portion.

Let him run for his life. Maybe in Dec. make an offer.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I think if we were going that direction, Tre Mason is probably the best option.

So a 3rd or 4th round pick that could be a starter at a position of need vs 3-4m against a 140m cap. I would take the young player at a different position(OL, DL) and keep what we know in Murray. I wouldn't give him a Barber(7/45m) contract and if Murray thinks he can get more somewhere else, then they have to let him walk.

OhSnap

Reaction score
As many have said, don't pay for that second contract for a running back in the NFL unless they are special. Even if they are special, Garrett has proven he doesn't want to run the ball. He needs a good running back to take advantage of the defense trying to stop the pass. With Garrett's offensive approach, there is no reason to tie much of the salary cap up on a running back. Shouldn't pay anyone that much to watch the 2nd half from the sideline.

Garrett has proven he doesn't run the ball when the line sucks and he does run it when the line as good to the tune of 400+ attempts /season. Might be up to Linehan now.

theSHOW

Reaction score
Murray wouldn't be a free agent until next year.

We are not looking to add a running back this year.

Dallas has a gem in Murray. And also has the advantage to sign him cheap this year if Murray says ok to 4 mil over 4 years. If Murray plays great Dallas gets the benefit in 2014 having him make plays for us. In 2015 Cowboys decide if they want to pay 6+ mil and retain him or go to the draft. The moral of the story is don't pay big bucks for Rbs.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you watch the tape, clearly, he 's a different RB than he was a few years ago, but still very good. I suppose I'd wait until I see how he fits in this offense, then offer him a deal after pre-season.

tm1119

Reaction score
It is a poor RB group, much like last season. Probably will not see one drafted in the first round.

It's not a poor draft class, it's more that the president has been set that rb's just aren't high picks anymore. I don't think we are going to see multiple rb's in the 1st for a while.

Mason
Hyde
Sankey
Carey
Hill
Seastrunk
Freeman
McKinnon
Williams

All guys I would love to have on my team

reddyuta

Reaction score
Running backs are use and throw now,I think jerry has learned that lesson.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
There is not one RB in this draft I would prefer over Murray.. I don't see any next year, either. I'm not proposing a Marion Barber 7 yr/45M wacko contract. I'm proposing a 4yr,20M contract. Given next years cap will likely be 137-140M this isn't all that high.

Look at it this way - does anything NOT think Murray has the ability to be one of the top 7 backs in the league if we committed to him? I absolutely believe he could have 1,500+ total yards from scrimmage if we committed to him. He's dangerous, exciting, and has a good head on his shoulders. He also doesn't have much wear and tear, despite being injury prone. He could definitely go for another 4 seasons.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
There is not one RB in this draft I would prefer over Murray.. I don't see any next year, either. I'm not proposing a Marion Barber 7 yr/45M wacko contract. I'm proposing a 4yr,20M contract. Given next years cap will likely be 137-140M this isn't all that high.

Look at it this way - does anything NOT think Murray has the ability to be one of the top 7 backs in the league if we committed to him? I absolutely believe he could have 1,500+ total yards from scrimmage if we committed to him. He's dangerous, exciting, and has a good head on his shoulders. He also doesn't have much wear and tear, despite being injury prone. He could definitely go for another 4 seasons.

I agree with his potential, but he hasn't shown the durability to be able to do it.

Like I said - if he comes through this year and has a strong campaign, then yes I extend him. Steady backs are not dime a dozen, particularly with protection assignments and his receiving ability.

50cent

Reaction score
No., but there are a bunch of guys who can be as successful if not more on a team that passes a majority of the time in today's NFL..., but you keep believing that Demaco is some sort of elite RB based on his 5 yards per carry avg?
What is his avg after first contact?
How many tackles does he break ?
How many games / plays has he missed?

How many times do you think his name would be called in the future and how would his oft injured body respond?

Don't get me wrong , I like Demarco , but I wouldn't be throwing big $$$ at him or any other RB in today's game ... Especially on this team where a RB running seems like the 3rd option at times

Murray has been a dynamic RB in 2 of the 3 seasons that he has suited up with us. It's not just his YPC, he's above average in every aspect of a RB job description. He can block, avoid tacklers, punish defenders, catch out of the backfield and more. I don't care how many games he has missed, it ranks right up there with the missed games that Lee and Romo have missed over their careers. Murray deserves a re-up and more carries to display his real talents. Make him and Dez the focal points of the offense and our prayers have answered.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I don't disagree but you don't pay for potential on the 2nd contract. Also have to consider the fact of where we rank in rushing attempts - dead last.

If you don't pay for potential what do you pay for?

Past performance?

I thought that was a big no no.

dcstands4

Reaction score
The way we keep drafting rb and the way the league is going couple that with a o line that is improving let Murray walk unless he does go 1500+. And I like Murray

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Murray has been a dynamic RB in 2 of the 3 seasons that he has suited up with us. It's not just his YPC, he's above average in every aspect of a RB job description. He can block, avoid tacklers, punish defenders, catch out of the backfield and more. I don't care how many games he has missed, it ranks right up there with the missed games that Lee and Romo have missed over their careers. Murray deserves a re-up and more carries to display his real talents. Make him and Dez the focal points of the offense and our prayers have answered.

BUT... The key is make him the focal point? Do you really think current team / coach/ qb will?? Also are you willing to bet the farm on resigning the guy to a big payday (ala Marion Barber ++++$$$ type deal) with the current pass/run ratio and still whose to say he can handle the workload as he hasn't shown it yet...(I know he hasn't been given opportunity either which further supports my point ) Allot of speculation and what ifs in my opinion...
Also I never said we shouldn't resign him.. Just would have to be the right deal $$$ wise... And whose to blame Murray if he wants big $$... Just don't think it will be or should be in Dallas

TwentyOne

Reaction score
No one seems to be talking about the fact that this is the last season on Murray's rookie contract, he's up after the 2014 season. Should we re-sign him? Let him go after the season? Let it play out?

I'd like to lock him up now, might be risky given his health issues - however, I believe we can get a substantial discount as a result of it. I don't see him regressing, but I could see him blowing up and having 1,600 yards. If he was to blow up we'd be easily looking at 7.5M+ per season, right now we could likely lock him up in a 5 year deal worth ~4M per. Possibly even less if we were willing to guarantee a substantial portion.

I am strictly against signing him. This is not against Murray. I would never sign a RB to a long term contract.

Good RBs are easy to draft (Round 3-4)
RBs dont last long

In this league you dont pay RBs you draft them. Again and again and again. The times of Emmit Smith are long gone.

Wasted money.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Absolutely not. RBs are a dime a dozen in this league and just don't last like they used to. Quit getting into the same predicaments and signing these players who have a history of injury problems dating back to college. You don't pay second contracts for RBs unless they are elite i.e. Adrian Peterson and maybe a couple others. Especially with how teams use 2 and 3 these days. They just don't hold as much value.