Resign DeMarco Murray?

Section446

Reaction score
Make the guy at least make it through an entire season before you consider it. He's a good player, but he's nothing special that you couldn't find it the draft.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Make the guy at least make it through an entire season before you consider it. He's a good player, but he's nothing special that you couldn't find it the draft.

He is also a running back. Jerry Jones can just call up Switzer any time and get his advice.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
No one seems to be talking about the fact that this is the last season on Murray's rookie contract, he's up after the 2014 season. Should we re-sign him? Let him go after the season? Let it play out?

I'd like to lock him up now, might be risky given his health issues - however, I believe we can get a substantial discount as a result of it. I don't see him regressing, but I could see him blowing up and having 1,600 yards. If he was to blow up we'd be easily looking at 7.5M+ per season, right now we could likely lock him up in a 5 year deal worth ~4M per. Possibly even less if we were willing to guarantee a substantial portion.

No way do I give him a long term, big money deal, this year or even after this year. The guy hasn't proven he can stay healthy for a full season yet. He's constantly getting dinged up or injuried. Sorry I like the guy but not enough to throw a bunch of money at a guy whose going to miss multiple games every year.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Tough call.

Pro: Murray makes the team better. He's not the most talented back, but he doesn't really have hindering weaknesses either. The guy is leadership material also.

I'm seeing the cliche 'dime a dozen' thrown around quite a bit and in response to that I'd like to point to Joseph Randle, Philip Tanner, Tashard Choice, Felix Jones, Julius Jones, etc. I mean, I agree that it should be a dime a dozen position, but that doesn't seem to hold true for the Cowboys and we've wasted few picks.

Con: Still, he seems to have unfortunate health issues and it's not like Garrett is going to utilize him properly.

Pro: But unlike most RBs his age, he's still relatively fresh. This would only be his 4th year, none of them being full seasons, and it isn't until around 6 or 7 full seasons that typical feature backs start to wear down.

Ultimately you've got to rely on your training staff for advisement. Is this kid a chronic case or just an unlucky one and make your offer accordingly.

I'd love to have him back at the right price, because I honestly don't want to waste any more picks on a quote/unquote dime a dozen position-- do we really think that Dallas can find a RB in the draft in the 3rd or later of DeMarco's caliber again?

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would have him sign an heavy incentive-laden contract. You cannot doubt his production when he is in the lineup.

He should expect that the coaches/front office need him to last a full year before a contract is put together. I expect a monster (injury-free) year from him and then a big pay day, from Dallas or FA.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I think that unless a back is great - really great... there is one in the league at that level - that you let them go after the rookie deal. Just too short a career at that position

There is definitely more than one great back in the league, AP Lynch McCoy and Charles are just a few I can name off top

50cent

Reaction score
BUT... The key is make him the focal point? Do you really think current team / coach/ qb will?? Also are you willing to bet the farm on resigning the guy to a big payday (ala Marion Barber ++++$$$ type deal) with the current pass/run ratio and still whose to say he can handle the workload as he hasn't shown it yet...(I know he hasn't been given opportunity either which further supports my point ) Allot of speculation and what ifs in my opinion...
Also I never said we shouldn't resign him.. Just would have to be the right deal $$$ wise... And whose to blame Murray if he wants big $$... Just don't think it will be or should be in Dallas

The fact that Murray's number isn't called enough is a Garrett/Jones/Romo/Callahan problem not a Murray problem. He produces when given the opportunity and that's no different than Sean Lee and he was re-up'd. Last I checked, I never stated what type of salary he deserved. I said he should be re-signed. I'd go as far as to say, that he should be rewarded with a similar Lee contract. If he can get more, so be it. More power to his agent, but make no mistake I think it would be a huge mistake if we let him walk. I haven't even mentioned the intangibles that he brings, which is why I believe he and Dez should be the focal point. If Jerry and crew don't see what they have, its just another example of everything that is wrong with this organization. We used to believe in getting everything out of them, then draft another one. Jimmie on Emmitt. We have one, regardless of how long he lasts, USE HIM UP, THEN DRAFT ANOTHER ONE!

50cent

Reaction score

We talking Murray or the guy in your avi?!

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
The fact that Murray's number isn't called enough is a Garrett/Jones/Romo/Callahan problem not a Murray problem. He produces when given the opportunity and that's no different than Sean Lee and he was re-up'd. Last I checked, I never stated what type of salary he deserved. I said he should be re-signed. I'd go as far as to say, that he should be rewarded with a similar Lee contract. If he can get more, so be it. More power to his agent, but make no mistake I think it would be a huge mistake if we let him walk. I haven't even mentioned the intangibles that he brings, which is why I believe he and Dez should be the focal point. If Jerry and crew don't see what they have, its just another example of everything that is wrong with this organization. We used to believe in getting everything out of them, then draft another one. Jimmie on Emmitt. We have one, regardless of how long he lasts, USE HIM UP, THEN DRAFT ANOTHER ONE!

Right... But if those guys are in charge how do you figure things would change and his number will be called more to make it worth an investment of what he would probably want.. Again I reiterate at the right price .. Sure resign him.. Otherwise with current teams makeup , unfortunately need to let him walk