Rest Of NFC East Has Eagles In Their Crosshairs

Pick A Team

• Total voters

ghostdog

Reaction score
Just showing up for games and not selling your tickets doesn't make you smarter or more knowledgeable fans.[/QUOTE]
It’s a good thing you didn’t say this...gotta love the internet

Sydla

Reaction score
Read it again. Words have meaning and should be precise.

I never said anything about being "good" fans. I said "knowledgeable" fans which was a response to your earlier post where you directly stated that one example or result of your fans being so knowledgeable is your home field advantage. Do we need to pull up your quote again?

Being knowledgeable has very little to do with having a great home field.

You seem to be the guy who goes on the internet and forgets what he posted like an hour earlier.

ghostdog

Reaction score
Read it again. Words have meaning and should be precise.

I never said anything about being "good" fans. I said "knowledgeable" fans which was a response to your earlier post where you directly stated that one benefit of your fans being so knowledgeable is your home field advantage. Do we need to pull up your quote again?

Being knowledgeable has very little to do with having a great home field.

You seem to be the guy who goes on the internet and forgets what he posted like an hour earlier.
Not true. You don’t think when the team needs energy the fans can’t provide a boost? You don’t think that at pivotal spots in the game knowledgeable fans don’t know when their teams need silence when they have the ball and noise when the other team does doesn’t help? Stupid fans don’t help their teams. What were you last year, 3-5? I rest my case...

Pape

Reaction score
I gotta say Ghostdog, and im sure you will see this - heavy is the head who wears the crown.

Figure to get the best shot from every team you face this year, week in week out.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not true. You don’t think when the team needs energy the fans can’t provide a boost? You don’t think that at pivotal spots in the game knowledgeable fans don’t know when their teams need silence when they have the ball and noise when the other team does doesn’t help? Stupid fans don’t help their teams. What were you last year, 3-5? I rest my case...

Again, understand the difference between "good" fan and "knowledgeable" fans.

For starters, I never said Eagles weren't good fans. They are good fans, they are loyal fans. I think they tend to be more loyal than Cowboys fans, especially those who actually have season tickets and sell them to opposing fans.

But that's not what you first said. You CLEARLY stated that Eagles fans are really knowledgeable and that manifests itself in a great home field advantage. That does no such thing as there is no correlation between having a great home field and also having some of the most knowledgeable fans. It doesn't take knowledge to scream your head off for 3.5 hours. It doesn't take a high football IQ to know that if you cheer loud enough it can throw off the other team when trying to run a play.

Are you really arguing that because Eagles fans get whipped up in the Linc parking lots before games, come in and scream at the other team that shows their football "knowledge"?

Holy ****.

ghostdog

Reaction score
Again, understand the difference between "good" fan and "knowledgeable" fans.

For starters, I never said Eagles weren't good fans. They are good fans, they are loyal fans. I think they tend to be more loyal than Cowboys fans, especially those who actually have season tickets and sell them to opposing fans.

But that's not what you first said. You CLEARLY stated that Eagles fans are really knowledgeable and that manifests itself in a great home field advantage. That does no such thing as there is no correlation between having a great home field and also having some of the most knowledgeable fans. It doesn't take knowledge to scream your head off for 3.5 hours. It doesn't take a high football IQ to know that if you cheer loud enough it can throw off the other team when trying to run a play.

Are you really arguing that because Eagles fans get whipped up in the Linc parking lots before games, come in and scream at the other team that shows their football "knowledge"?

Holy ****.
Yep. I did misjudge you. Have a great day.

ghostdog

Reaction score
I gotta say Ghostdog, and im sure you will see this - heavy is the head who wears the crown.

Figure to get the best shot from every team you face this year, week in week out.
If you’re afraid of what comes with the crown why bother?

Sydla

Reaction score
Yep. I did misjudge you. Have a great day.

Yes, you must have realized you aren't talking to some of your fellow idiotic Eagles fans if you think it shows great football knowledge that your fans yell when the opposing team has the ball and then get quiet when the Eagles have the ball.

Honestly, take a step back and think about what you just said. And then realize how embarrassing it is for you to say what you said. It's OK. We'll still like you around here.

ghostdog

Reaction score
Yes, you must have realized you aren't talking to some of your fellow idiotic Eagles fans if you think it shows great football knowledge that your fans yell when the opposing team has the ball and then get quiet when the Eagles have the ball.

Honestly, take a step back and think about what you just said. And then realize how embarrassing it is for you to say what you said. It's OK. We'll still like you around here.
Maybe. But it’s better than being the liar that you are. And you are dreadfully mistaken if you think I need approval from you or anyone else. That seems to be your issue. Now that’s embarrassing...

Sydla

Reaction score
Maybe. But it’s better than being the liar that you are. And you are dreadfully mistaken if you think I need approval from you or anyone else. That seems to be your issue. Now that’s embarrassing...

A liar?

LOL.

BigCowboysHomer

Reaction score
Debrief: Philadelphia Eagles' roster too well-built to sustain

• _Rosenthal1-65x90.jpg
  • By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The NFL Editor
  • Published: Feb. 27, 2018 at 04:43 p.m.
  • Updated: Feb. 27, 2018 at 05:00 p.m.
  • 0 Likes | 0 Comments
The Eagles have too many quality players and not enough shaky contracts. General manager Howie Roseman is thus faced with the loftiest of high-class problems.

In a league awash with salary-cap space, the defending Super Bowl champions are one of just two teams currently over the projected cap, according to Over The Cap. That's particularly constricting for a front office defined by its hyperactivity.

Ten of Philadelphia's 22 starters in Super Bowl LII arrived via free agency, with three more key additions (Ronald Darby, Tim Jernigan and Jay Ajayi) joining the team last year via trade. Unlike many teams last season, the Eagles used almost all of their cap space to maximize every avenue possible in putting the best team on the field. The bill for this veteran- and free agent-heavy approach is now coming due.

That brings us back to not having enough questionable contracts. While most February rosters have a handful of bloated deals that are painlessly severed to create cap space, Philadelphia's balance sheet is marked by critical contributors on fair or below market contracts. It's hard to find Eagles starters who are overpaid, while many like Carson Wentz, Stefen Wisniewski and Brandon Graham are bargains. With so many difficult decisions ahead, here's a look at what Roseman could decide to do next.

The most likely cuts: Releasing wide receiver Torrey Smith and tight end Brent Celek would save the Eagles $9 million in cap space. The fact that these two contributors would be the easiest cuts highlights the high-wire act Roseman is trying to pull off. Smith made key plays throughout the playoffs, is under contract at a reasonable $5 million and is a respected presence on and off the field. But the team could view 2017 fourth-round pick Mack Hollins as a less expensive replacement to Smith's skill set.

Celek could retire and save the Eagles the pain of cutting a franchise favorite, or he could take a pay cut like he did before last season. But his potential departure will only help create a need at tight end, where the team is also expected to lose Zach Ertz's talented young backup Trey Burton in free agency. With only one pick (No. 32 overall) in the first three rounds of this year's draft, the Eagles can't count on rookies to fill their needs.

There are other small transactions that can boost the Eagles' bottom line, such as punter Donnie Jones' retirement on Tuesday and cutting guard Chance Warmack. But to truly make enough room, the Eagles will have to be bolder ...

Read more at http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...elphia-eagles-roster-too-wellbuilt-to-sustain

BigCowboysHomer

Reaction score
Called it on Feb. 16, 2018.

Since 2004, no team has won back-to-back NFC East championships.

2004 Philadelphia Eagles 13–3 Lost Super Bowl XXXIX
2005 New York Giants 11–5 Lost NFC Wild Card Playoffs
2006 Philadelphia Eagles 10–6 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
2007 Dallas Cowboys 13–3 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
2008 New York Giants 12–4 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
2009 Dallas Cowboys 11–5 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
2010 Philadelphia Eagles 10–6 Lost NFC Wild Card Playoffs
2011 New York Giants 9–7 Won Super Bowl XLVI
2012 Washington Commanders 10–6 Lost NFC Wild Card Playoffs
2013 Philadelphia Eagles 10–6 Lost NFC Wild Card Playoffs
2014 Dallas Cowboys 12–4 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
2015 Washington Commanders 9–7 Lost NFC Wild Card Playoffs
2016 Dallas Cowboys 13–3 Lost NFC Divisional Playoffs
2017 Philadelphia Eagles 13–3 Won Super Bowl LII

The NFC East is the polar opposite of the AFC East, where one team (the Patriots) have been champions 14 of the past 15 years. Continuous turnover at the top has been the trend in the NFC East for the past 14 years.

Even the 2004 Eagles team that went to Super Bowl XXXIX, and the 2011 Giants team that won Super Bowl XLVI, did not win the NFC East Championship the following year.

Factors that could cause the Eagles to continue the pattern of the last 14 years and fail to win the NFC East next year:

1. Loss of Offensive Coordinator Frank Reich and Quarterbacks Coach John DeFilippo. Certainly they were key to the development of Carson Wentz and the resurrection of Nick Foles. It remains to be seen how much it will hurt the Eagles, but it certainly won't help.
  2. Carson Wentz did not suffer just a "simple" ACL injury. In addition to the ACL tear he also tore his LCL. "Simple" ACL injuries require 9 to 12 months to heal, so the additional LCL damage could prolong the recovery. There is a chance he could miss much of the season, and it is uncertain if he will ever have the same mobility and escapability he had before his injury. Nick Foles fell back to earth in 2014 and lost his starting job due to injury after his stellar 2013 season. It remains to be seen if the same thing happens in 2018 after defensive coordinators around the league have a chance to study last season's tape.
  3. The Eagles are over the salary cap, and will have to restructure, trade, or release members of the Super Bowl championship team. Potential cap casualties include LB Mychal Kendricks, DE Vinny Curry, TE Brent Celek, WR Torrey Smith, special teams ace Chris Maragos, punter Donnie Jones, and aging All-Pro OT Jason Peters. Unrestricted free agents this year include punt returner/RB Darren Sproles, RB LeGarette Blount, LB Nigel Bradham, TE Trey Burton (threw the TD pass to Nick Foles), DT Beau Allen, and kick/punt returner/RB Kenjon Barner. All of the listed players except Maragos, Peters, and Spoles played in Super Bowl LII. Being over the cap and with new rookies to sign means the Eagles can't keep many of their SB Championship team players.
So if the Eagles continue the unbroken trend of the past 14 years and fail to repeat as NFC East champions, which of the other 3 teams has the best chance of taking their place? The Giants have a weak roster, have a new general manager and head coach, and an aging franchise quarterback. Coming off a 3-13 record it will take them time to get up to speed.

The Commanders are coming off a disappointing 7-9 season and will likely be replacing their quarterback with Alex Smith, who is 2-5 in the playoffs with two different teams. It remains to be seen if the coaching staff can tailor the offense to suit Smith's skills, and if Smith can be more successful than in the past if the Commanders make it into the playoffs..

That leaves the Cowboys. The Cowboys have a recent pattern of their own, winning the NFC East in even years (2014, 2016) followed by disappointing odd years (2015, 2017). 2018 is an even year.