Results aside - who is on the chopping block for next season

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I'd prefer to keep Gilmore if the asking price is there. You can't have anough good Corners and Gilmore/Diggs/Bland would be phenomenal.

I'd keep Biadisz for the right price but he'll get paid to go elsewhere. Tyron - I'd prefer to keep him but again price is a concern. Next year we have to pay Parsons, re-up Prescott (or not, that's another thread but let's assume he will be kept here). Gallup is definitely gone.
Why do people think they have to pay Parsons next year? They're going to give him his 5th year option - he won't sign until before 2025.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Why do people think they have to pay Parsons next year? They're going to give him his 5th year option - he won't sign until before 2025.
Yeah, I'm sure he'll appreciate that. Best pass rusher in the league, killing himself with that small frame against 300+ offensive linemen each play. That's how you inspire loyalty.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure he'll appreciate that. Best pass rusher in the league, killing himself with that small frame against 300+ offensive linemen each play. That's how you inspire loyalty.
Lol, this is nonsense.

He won't sign early either.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Gotta make room foe Dak, CeeDee and Parsons contracts

Pollard - not worth the 12 million price tag
Gallup - can be replaced by a rookie - 9.5 million cap savingsl
Kearse - not that good anymore and we have replacements on hand.
Gilmore - I would rather not but we might have to- Bland has to get better on the outside to make this work.
J Lewis will not be resigned
I don't think we resign Biadasz unless it is a steal. Center should be our 1-2 round focus in the draft.
Tyron's last year is voidable - what will they pay him? He is still a top 5 LT in the NFL when healthy - may take an injury discount but not much.

Demarcus Lawrence-he will be 33 - we have to find a replacement - could be a 2024 rework if we see a couple good years left
D Wilson- Loved him but has lost a step or has not recovered fully - not keeping him for a 7.5 million charge
Pretty good analysis. I could see Gilmore or even Lewis brought back at the right price (Lewis is probably close to a vet minimum player at this point in his career). Same with Biadasz, but they need to get better there anyway and analytics typically say not to give a second contract to a replacement-tier center. Tyron is tricky, but how many starting linemen can you replace in one season? Martin is aging and who knows what Steele is at this point.

Dorance Armstrong is another one to consider. He's played well, but he's going to be pricey. Do you bring him back, or do you roll with Sam Williams and another draft pick? Do you bring back Fowler instead of drafting? The only edge rushers under contract in 2025 are Parsons and Williams.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Gilmore - I would rather not but we might have to- Bland has to get better on the outside to make this work.
I don't think we resign Biadasz unless it is a steal. Center should be our 1-2 round focus in the draft.
Tyron's last year is voidable - what will they pay him? He is still a top 5 LT in the NFL when healthy - may take an injury discount but not much.

Demarcus Lawrence-he will be 33 - we have to find a replacement - could be a 2024 rework if we see a couple good years left
D Wilson- Loved him but has lost a step or has not recovered fully - not keeping him for a 7.5 million charge
I would assume it will go down something like this:

Released:
Gallup

Let Walk:
Pollard, Biadasz, Kearse

Resigned:
Gilmore, Lewis, Tyron

Gallup has become completely disposable at this point with Tolbert & Brooks showing they can give you as much or more than him as your #3 on much cheaper deals. Combine that with the 9.5 million dollar cap relief the Cowboys get by releasing him and this is almost a no brainer.

Pollard and Biadasz will both be set free, not because they are bad players, but because other teams needy at their respective positions will sign them to an outsized deal that Dallas just will not want to match. Their departure will be similar to the way it went down with Connor Williams.

Kearse has been underwhelming this season and is approaching 30 years old. The emergence of Bell and the return of Overshown, both younger, cheaper players that can fill the same role, will leave him the odd man out of the numbers game. The only way he returns is because the front office and coaching staff values his leadership role on the defense.

I imagine Gilmore and Lewis will be brought back on team friendly deals for anywhere between 1 and 3 years. You can't have enough corners that can play, and both of them can.

Tyron is a wildcard. I could see him retiring, especially if Dallas wins it all this year, but assuming they don't I would think he might be back for another year to run it back. He has been a resurgent player and when healthy is still an elite player at his position. I would think another deal similar to the one he played on this year will be in order.

erod

Reaction score

Get rid of all of them, and this team will SUCK.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Bland is the man. He had a rough time with Metcalf who is a freak of nature.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Great list!
Hope we can keep Gilmore on the cheap.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Round 1 center lol

Yeah cause it really sucked the last time we did that late in the 1st.

Edit: Not saying we should, but the last time we did it lead to a 5 time pro-bowler and one time all-pro before his career was, unfortunately, cut short at 6 years to a non-football related issue (hence why I don't quite get your "lol").

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It does not look like there is a 1st round grade on a Center or Guard in the draft but the center from Georgia would be a nice pickup.
Yea but even if they are a 2nd-round grade, just take them in the first - or I guess try to trade way up.

Any time you can get a player who can be on your OL for a decade, just taek him.

aikemirv

Reaction score
We keep Gilmore. I think he’s happy here and his veteran leadership has made a difference. Teams also need to keep as many quality corners as possible.

Disagree on D-Law. He’s performed very, very well. He’s a leader of the defense, extremely reliable and playing at a high level not just compared to the rest of the team but also the league. We’ll always be bringing in new D-Line.
Next year for D-law is not an option but the following year it becomes a decision you have to make.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Lol, this is nonsense.

He won't sign early either.
Just like Nick Bosa and Zeke were glad to wreck their bodies for pennies and go the length of the contract, right?

giphy.gif

John813

Reaction score

They don't have to, but can. Some players, even at the QB spot will sign early even though they know each year they wait it could be higher payday on the 2nd contract.
Both Burrow and Herbert could of waited it out till their 5th year but didn't. Myles Garrett signed after 3 years experience
If Dallas approaches Parsons they did like Zeke and make him the highest paid edge in the league with good bonuses I doubt he shoots it down or doesn't even counter. Of course he can wait but it's not like he isn't considered a top player now at his role. He doesn't need that breakout season to be the highest paid player at his position.

Dallas can still apply the 5th year and re-sign him. There's incentive on both sides to do a deal if it makes sense.

It's a bit different than CDL where he finished strong to end the season last year but wasn't quite considered on the Jefferson level. Now, he's shown he is. So, if he was holding out to prove he's worth top pay, it made sense.

@aikemirv Gallup being a June 1st cut will save 9.5mil after June 1st but accrue 8.7mil dead in 2025. I think either way he's gone as a pre or post June 1st cut.
And Tyron Smith deal isn't voidable, it voids unless they extend him.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Yeah cause it really sucked the last time we did that late in the 1st.

Edit: Not saying we should, but the last time we did it lead to a 5 time pro-bowler and one time all-pro before his career was, unfortunately, cut short at 6 years to a non-football related issue (hence why I don't quite get your "lol").
fred was an outlier. Linderbaum is not much different than Biadazaz and he was supposed to be some godly center.