Results for Malcolm Kelly and Reggie Smith

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2030819 said:
it doesn't matter thats last year and this is this year thats like saying ask your self where would a RB from this years draft go when there was 3 RB taken in the top 5 a couple years ago. That's not even a valid point.

You're right. Let's forget the past, what possible use could that be in examining the future.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DaBoys4Life;2030873 said:
According to the Article he only was informed that morning

So why did he pratice for a month on the wrong field and no one told him anything thats mad suspect
The point is that when you get to the league, there will never be perfect circumstances for when they're expected to perform at a high level. It's called doing your best and not making excuses about it. How many times have we seen games where they've had to play in the snow, pouring rain, ripped up turf, baseball infields, etc.

His problem is that he didn't produce to expectations. And the more he talks the more he makes it worse. At this point, he should do every drill a team asks him to do to raise his stock.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2030889 said:
The point is that when you get to the league, there will never be perfect circumstances for when they're expected to perform at a high level. It's called doing your best and not making excuses about it. How many times have we seen games where they've had to play in the snow, pouring rain, ripped up turf, baseball infields, etc.

His problem is that he didn't produce to expectations. And the more he talks the more he makes it worse. At this point, he should do every drill a team asks him to do to raise his stock.

Or just run another 40.....

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deep_Freeze;2030902 said:
Or just run another 40.....
From what I saw, his overall numbers weren't great. Re-running the 40 wouldn't have helped. He needs to kiss alot of butt to raise his stock.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2030911 said:
From what I saw, his overall numbers weren't great. Re-running the 40 wouldn't have helped. He needs to kiss alot of butt to raise his stock.

:laugh2:

I know I would be running them in my sleep....going to all the scouts houses trying to race their dog to the newspaper.

But if he drops to our pick in the 2nd, take him and run.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2030886 said:
You're right. Let's forget the past, what possible use could that be in examining the future.

you trying to use another draft class to affect someone's stock and say blah blah blah is just you hatin and pretty sad.

WoodysGirl;2030889 said:

Yea but the fact remains he trained and prepared for something else than what he ran on. Everyone that went to the combine trained for on a field like the combine and then actually ran on a field that was the same. However at the last minute it gets switched up on him. Lets say you have a test and your teach says X material is on the test however when you take the test the teachers says oh its no longer on x material its on y when you studied X.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2030926 said:
you trying to use another draft class to affect someone's stock and say blah blah blah is just you hatin and pretty sad.

How on earth am I going to affect Devin Thomas' draft stock? You're giving me a little too much credit.

I'm telling you I don't think he's a 1st round talent, regardless of year. Last year, he would have been a late 2nd round to third round prospect. The fact that the draft class is weak at WR doesn't all of a sudden mean he's a 1st round talent.

The fact that you're ridiculous enough to suggest that past drafts don't matter because it just might hint that he's not the superstar you (and others) make him out to be, just shows that you're incapable of being objective.

He might come out and have a stellar career, that still doesn't mean that with the information we have, he's a sure fire first rounder much less the top 20 pick some have been hard-headed enough to suggest.

And as far as Malcolm, he knew what was on the test. It's more like you prepared to take a drivers test on a particular block and the instructor shows up and says no, we're taking it in this other neighborhood you're unfamiliar with, do you just suddenly forget how to drive?

It's not like he showed up to run and they said no, we're having a limbo contest instead.

dmoore

Reaction score
Even if he did run a 4.5 on the faster surface, the scouts would adjust his time just the same. Running 4.5 on a fast track isn't going to impress anybody. He needs to keep his mouth shut and hope his stock doesn't fall any more.

ddh33

Reaction score
Don't bash Kelly too much. He just might be a Cowboy in a couple of weeks. Whether you liked his attitude or his times, he still was a huge threat on the field for OU, and that was may impress people.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2030889 said:

They aren't in the league though thats the thing.

They are running a 40 yard dash and trying to get every tenth of a second they can get.

Everyone should get a chance to at least practice on the surface they are going to be running on.

All field turf isnt the same either BTW.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;2031013 said:

They are running a 40 yard dash and trying to get every tenth of a second they can get.

Everyone should get a chance to at least practice on the surface they are going to be running on.

Regardless of his poor workout performance, his reaction afterward didn't help his cause.

Yeah you can say he got the shaft in not being able to maximize his opportunity, but it's about displaying a level of maturity afterward which would've saved him. Be pissed, but he should've kept his mouth closed until he regained his composure...and THEN speak to media. Because he didn't, he threw everybody but his mother under the bus.

His advisors need to release a statement from him professing his sincerest apologies to the OU staff and that he was simply disappointed in himself in how he performed. Anything less than that and he'll continue to drop.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2031013 said:

No, everyone shouldn't get a chance to control every aspect of pre-draft workouts.

If he didn't want to run on it, he shouldn't have. Otherwise he has to live with the consequences.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2031016 said:
Regardless of his poor workout performance, his reaction afterward didn't help his cause.

Yeah you can say he got the shaft in not being able to maximize his opportunity, but it's about displaying a level of maturity afterward which would've saved him. Be pissed, but he should've kept his mouth closed until he regained his composure...and THEN speak to media. Because he didn't, he threw everybody but his mother under the bus.

His advisors need to release a statement from him professing his sincerest apologies to the OU staff and that he was simply disappointed in himself in how he performed. Anything less than that and he'll continue to drop.

I agree.

I don't know how the scouts feel, but to me, his reaction was more damaging than his 40 times. How is this guy going to react when things don't go his way in the future?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Chief;2031022 said:
I agree.

I don't know how the scouts feel, but to me, his reaction was more damaging than his 40 times. How is this guy going to react when things don't go his way in the future?

His reaction was terrible. It is something that has been building up since the Fiesta Bowl for MK.

Cincy still took him back w/ them for testing and more evals. They sent a slew of personel there to see him work out. I guess they weren't to turned off by his time and his tantrum.

We'll certainly see what happens w/ MK come the draft.

Until then.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chief;2031022 said:
I agree.

These were my thoughts exactly. Truthfully his responses and the lack of maturity made me think of Antonio Bryant.

His workout could've very well been a bad day at the office, but that immaturity gives me visions of sideline blowouts when he doesn't get the ball.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2031021 said:
No, everyone shouldn't get a chance to control every aspect of pre-draft workouts.

If he didn't want to run on it, he shouldn't have. Otherwise he has to live with the consequences.

sounds like some hate 2 me. I don't know why he ran either i wouldn't have ran if i was him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2031021 said:

The thing is he still did it.

He was in a lose - lose situation if he didn't run it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2031030 said:
These were my thoughts exactly. Truthfully his responses and the lack of maturity made me think of Antonio Bryant.

His workout could've very well been a bad day at the office, but that immaturity gives me visions of sideline blowouts when he doesn't get the ball.

So this is the type of person you have labled him as after 1 incident after never hearing a peep about the kid the entire time he was at oklahoma?

If he was a whiner he had plenty of chances to whine at OU with the Quarterbacks they were trotting out on the field.

Top NFL Draftee Endorses Christian CharityBy Michelle A. Vu
Christian Post Reporter
Wed, Feb. 06 2008 11:50 AM ET
[-]Text[+] E-mail Print RSS More on Topic
WASHINGTON - A top NFL draftee went teary-eyed Tuesday when he told a crowded room that before he catches a single football as a professional athlete, he wanted to endorse the Christian charity that offers life-changing surgeries to the most needy and hopeless in Africa.

Enlarge this Image
(Photo: The Christian Post)
Malcolm Kelly, expected among the top NFL draftee for 2008, gives his endorsement to Mercy Ships at a press conference on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2008 in Washington, D.C.
Related
Top 12 Evangelical Christians in Sports
Dungy Sees Return to Colts as Chance to Share Faith
“I wanted this to be the first thing I did to begin my career as a professional athlete. I’m not even in the league yet, but I know how important it is to do the right things in the right way,” said Malcolm Kelly, who is expected to be in the top 10 picks for the 2008 NFL Draft.

“Mercy Ships is all about that. They deliver free, life-changing medical assistance to people in Africa and third world countries that need help the most,” the 21-year-old, 6’4” Christian athlete said.

“As an African-American, I feel a connection there. I just hope that this first small step will help shed light and get the word out on what an incredible organization Mercy Ships is.”

The former University of Oklahoma wide receiver was introduced to the Christian medical charity through his roommate as well as teammate, who happened to be the oldest son (adopted) of Mercy Ships marketing director, Todd Robinson.

After hearing about the charity and its mission, the Kelly family almost instantly accepted it as their personal cause that God wanted them to endorse. Raised with Christian values, Kelly credited his parents for teaching him as a child that if he had more than his friends then he should share with those who have less.

Kelly said after hearing the sufferings of those in Africa, it was logical for him to give and do what he can to help.

“Being good at football, people think the only words that come out of my mouth is ‘touchdown, touchdown!’” Kelly noted. But he hopes that when people hear him instead speak about Africa they will be curious, start researching, and then help.

The young football star joked that the Mercy Ships International Operations Center in Garden Valley, Texas, is practically in his “backyard,” being only 30 miles from his home.

Operations performed by Mercy Ships’ volunteer doctors include cleft lip and palate, cataract removal, orthopedic and facial reconstruction. The procedures are relatively simple, but thousands die each year from these easily correctable birth defects.

Half of the world’s estimated 40 million blind people could see following a one-hour operation, according to Mercy Ships.

Meanwhile, those that survive the birth defects are often ostracized by their society and rejected by their own parents.

One notable procedure helps young girls in Africa who suffer from incontinence after giving birth, often to a still born. The girls – sometimes only 12 years old when married – are unable to physically support the delivery of a child. They suffer from labor problems and childbirth injuries that often include the inability to control their bladder and bowel.

Out of no fault of their own, the girls are ostracized from society because of their childbirth injuries – that is until they receive help from Mercy Ships. The girls’ lives are restored after they receive the vesicovaginal fistula surgery, new clothes and a headband, and a small sum of money to cover bus fare and to help them start up a small business.

Kelly is the first professional athlete to endorse Mercy Ships.

“Malcolm’s achievements as an athlete are extraordinary and we are sure he will excel in the NFL,” said Mercy Ships chairman of the board, Myron E. “Mike” Ullman III. “But it is his maturity to recognize the potential for helping the poorest of the poor by supporting Mercy Ships in Africa that is most impressive. It makes a strong statement about his personal character and values as a young man.”

When drafted, Kelly will join a growing number of outspoken Christians in the NFL who have used their athletic ability as a platform to share about their Christian faith. Notable Christians in the NFL include Tony Dungy, coach of the 2007 Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts; Shaun Alexander, 2005 NFL MVP and running back for the Seattle Seahawks; and Hunter Smith, Colts punter and recently Christian rock artist and author.

Founded in 1978, Mercy Ships has performed more than 1.5 million services worth $600 million and has directly changed the lives of more than 1.7 million people. The charity has treated more than 200,000 people in village medical clinics, performed more than 26,000 surgeries and 162,000 dental treatments, and completed more than 800 construction, agriculture, and water development projects.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;2031198 said:
So this is the type of person you have labled him as after 1 incident after never hearing a peep about the kid the entire time he was at oklahoma?
Haven't labeled him anything. Just saying the blowup reminded me of Antonio Bryant and it would certainly add a negative to his overall evaluation.

If he was a whiner he had plenty of chances to whine at OU with the Quarterbacks they were trotting out on the field.
He became a top prospect with those quarterbacks. He blew it when the focus was solely on him. His bad.

As for his work off the field, it has nothing to do with yesterday's events. All the players contribute to the community in some capacity. Pacman Jones did a charity event, does that give you a higher opinion of him, as a result? And before you go off the deep end, I'm not comparing him to Pacman, just saying, community involvement doesn't always mean these guys are living by example.

Like I said earlier, he may very well have had a bad day at the office, yesterday. If so, he needs to release a statement to minimize the damage.