Results for Malcolm Kelly and Reggie Smith

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2029796 said:
Theogt has been tottally off base about the guy except for saying he is slow and honestly I think its a miracle he even ran that slow.
What have I said about him other than he's slow and he wasn't the best receiver on his team?

Looks like I was dead right about half of that.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
This is Our Year;2029797 said:
Wow both guys just fell out of the 1st round no doubt!

Reggie Smith had little chance of going in rd 1 for quit some time imo. He may fall to rd 3 now

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2029724 said:
I still think Kelly will be a good player at the next level regardless of where he is drafted.
Eh...depends on his work ethic when he gets there. To be fair, his results aren't that much different than Dwayne Bowe's last year. Bowe ran something like a 4.6 40, had a 33 inch high jump, and a little over 10 foot broad jump...and all that doesn't seem to be hurting his career any.

Measurables are only one piece of the puzzle. He'll be a decent possession receiver for whatever team picks him IF he commits himself to working hard...which, to me, is now the big question concerning Kelly. Will he have a good work ethic as a pro?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The Dodger;2029840 said:
Eh...depends on his work ethic when he gets there. To be fair, his results aren't that much different than Dwayne Bowe's last year. Bowe ran something like a 4.6 40, had a 33 inch high jump, and a little over 10 foot broad jump...and all that doesn't seem to be hurting his career any.

Measurables are only one piece of the puzzle. He'll be a decent possession receiver for whatever team picks him IF he commits himself to working hard...which, to me, is now the big question concerning Kelly. Will he have a good work ethic as a pro?
Bowe ran a 4.51 at the combine and a 4.49 at his pro day.

That's a FAR CRY from 4.77.

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
theogt;2029844 said:
Bowe ran a 4.51 at the combine and a 4.49 at his pro day.

That's a FAR CRY from 4.77.
Hmm...perhaps I read it wrong. I thought he ran something like a 4.58 or something like that. I'll look it up, but I thought for sure that's what I saw...

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Man that sucks i expected both to be faster I still then MKelley should/could be had with our 2nd round pick after his performance 2day and Smith drops to the 3rd or is a 2nd round FS prospect don't think he can play CB at the next level.

Devin Thomas is the 1st WR taken at the draft and won't get passed the Bills.

BigDave95

Reaction score
Malcolm Kelly's day just gets better and better. Just got this email from a friend who was at the workout:

MK totally lost his cool in front of scouts and coaches after he ran....

He was throwing a tantrum saying that they shouldn't have run at the indoor facility and that this entire time, he wanted to run on the track. He also threw Schmitty (Strength and Conditioning) under the bus.

It was in front of all the 50+ people watching and was a complete temper tantrum with cursing and everything.

He's also blaiming the OU people for mis-diagnosing his injury last year.

And he was fully cleared to play in the bowl game but decided to sit out because he was pissed at how Stoops treated Granger after his arrest.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
BigDave95;2029852 said:
Malcolm Kelly's day just gets better and better. Just got this email from a friend who was at the workout:

MK totally lost his cool in front of scouts and coaches after he ran....

He was throwing a tantrum saying that they shouldn't have run at the indoor facility and that this entire time, he wanted to run on the track. He also threw Schmitty (Strength and Conditioning) under the bus.

It was in front of all the 50+ people watching and was a complete temper tantrum with cursing and everything.

He's also blaiming the OU people for mis-diagnosing his injury last year.

And he was fully cleared to play in the bowl game but decided to sit out because he was pissed at how Stoops treated Granger after his arrest.

I'd be the same way if i want from 1st round pick and saw my stock drop and loss that much money

kevwun

Reaction score
I've read about that tantrum on another board. I'd say he should be happy with the 2nd round. I don't think 3rd round is out of the question.

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
theogt;2029850 said:
I'm not a member, so I can't see this link, but I'll take your word for it. Still, there are a couple of other sites I've looked into the last few minutes that state his official time at 4.58.

Regardless...the main point I wanted to make is that even though his results are poor, I suspect Kelly could improve his 40 time if he really wanted to put in the effort, lose some weight, and get serious about his NFL career. Thing is, is he serious? So far, it doesn't look like it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Dodger;2029840 said:

I agree it depends on many things. What I don't put too much stock in is drills and using these drills to determine what a guy may do as a pro. Kelly has a body of work as a player but it seems so many want to throw that out the window and base their entire opinion on how high a guy jumps or what he ran the 40 in. As I said in one of the threads these drills do have an impact on where a guy may get drafted but these drills can't tell you want kind of player any of these guys will be. There will be players who turned in great 40 times and will not pan out in the NFL because this is not track and field this is football.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Kelly ran that slow on purpose so that he could drop down to the second round and go to Dallas. To a man that wants to play that badly for the Cowboys, money is an afterthought.

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2029873 said:
I agree it depends on many things. What I don't put too much stock in is drills and using these drills to determine what a guy may do as a pro. Kelly has a body of work as a player but it seems so many want to throw that out the window and base their entire opinion on how high a guy jumps or what he ran the 40 in. As I said in one of the threads these drills do have an impact on where a guy may get drafted but these drills can't tell you want kind of player any of these guys will be. There will be players who turned in great 40 times and will not pan out in the NFL because this is not track and field this is football.
Yep. I pretty much agree with all of this. I think some people get way to caught up in a player's physical measurables and don't put enough stock in things that are harder to measure...like toughness, dedication, intelligence, desire.

With respect to Kelly, though, my opinion of him is changing even as I type this, but NOT because of his slow 40 time. What's bothering me far more is his reported inability to stay in shape and now this "blame everyone but me" attitude he's got going on at his pro day...if the reports are accurate.

I think those issues should ding him as much or more than the slow 40 time...

BigDave95

Reaction score
The Dodger;2029880 said:
like toughness, dedication, intelligence, desire.

I'd say Kelly goes 0 for 4 on those.

Combine that with his lousy measurables and it all equals one thing...NO THANKS!!

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
The Dodger;2029880 said:
Yep. I pretty much agree with all of this. I think some people get way to caught up in a player's physical measurables and don't put enough stock in things that are harder to measure...like toughness, dedication, intelligence, desire.

With respect to Kelly, though, my opinion of him is changing even as I type this, but NOT because of his slow 40 time. What's bothering me far more is his reported inability to stay in shape and now this "blame everyone but me" attitude he's got going on at his pro day...if the reports are accurate.

238 lbs and 4% BF. As someone mentioned a bit earlier - T.O is about the same build.

MK weight right now is all muscle. I am not sure it was a good idea to bulk up so much like he did. It doesn't appear that he was not training.

kevwun

Reaction score
I think the 40 time is a big deal in his case because it's because of knee problems that don't seem to be getting any better. If Kelley had been healthy and productive this past season and ran this time it would be different. He's not a receiver who's good despite not having great speed. He's a reciever with nagging knee problems that caused a bad 40 time.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
BigDave95;2029881 said:
I'd say Kelly goes 0 for 4 on those.

Combine that with his lousy measurables and it all equals one thing...NO THANKS!!

People were the same w/ Bowe last year. What? Did you see that 40 time he ran? No thanks.

Bowe goes out and is the best rookie WR in the league that year.

Yeah. I would still draft MK.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Dodger;2029880 said:

I agree and I think how he fairs with the interview process with the different teams will help them determine Kelly's mindset. I agree with everyone when they say this bad outing will hurt him in the draft where I disagree is Kelly ability to play ball.

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
kevwun;2029883 said:
He's a reciever with nagging knee problems that caused a bad 40 time.
That very well could be.

Dallas;2029886 said:
People were the same w/ Bowe last year. What? Did you see that 40 time he ran? No thanks.

Bowe goes out and is the best rookie WR in the league that year.
Um...yeah. Pretty much what I was trying to say, only this says it much better, though theogt still has a decent point...there's a difference between a 4.5 ish 40 time and a 4.75.