News: Retired Cowboys LB Comes out as Gay, Getting Married

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Well, at least he contributed more to Cowboys lore than Michael Sam who Jerry Jones tried to exploit but nobody cared enough.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Good for him, man. That takes a level of courage most people on this forum will never have to show. And seriously, screw anyone posting demeaning comments. That's a courageous as hell move.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
People who say why this important should know that these people are breaking out from the norms of society. I would like nothing more than this being a normal part of life that its no longer considered newsworthy (which I don't think it is).

coult44

Reaction score
Retired NFL linebacker Jeff Rohrer is gay and set to become the first former or current NFL player in a same-sex marriage, he revealed in a new interview published on Wednesday.

In the New York Times story, Rohrer, 59, opened up about his sexuality for the first time.

“I’m sure there’s going to be some people out there who have a negative reaction to this,” Rohrer told the outlet, adding, “and I’m fine with it.”

Continue reading:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...es-getting-married/ar-BBPIkp1?ocid=spartanntp

I've been a die hard for 38 years and I've honestly never heard of him.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I really liked those LBs from the late 80s...
•Eugene Lockhart
•Ron Burton
•Gary Cobb
•Jeff Rohrer
•Garth Jax
•Steve DeOssie

my favorite was Mike Hegman...retired in '86 or '87.

Coach Landry always had good LBs.

Rohrer was a tough guy....not great but solid.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Honestly it’s cool he’s getting married, but never heard of him.
Was he a decent linebacker for us back in the day?

He was a good, but not great, linebacker who played during Landry's declining years of the mid to late 80s. The main thing I remember about him was when he mocked the Raiders by saying, "They have the ugliest uniforms in the NFL." Was funny. Makes sense now that he had an eye for fashion.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I understand where people are coming from when they ask “why is this a story”.

That being said, I think these things are stories because it’s still an issue amongst pro sports.

There has only been one openly gay nfl player during his career. And he wasn’t a good enough player to make nfl rosters. So he wasn’t around long.

Guaranteed there are still a bunch of gay NFL players who are hiding their sexuality because of the possibility of negative affects on their career.

So I agree with many posters saying this shouldn’t be a big deal. Hopefully that will be the case soon. Progress is being made.

Doomsay

Reaction score
The only weird part is why would you get married?
LOL - Greg Giraldo said gays should have to get married: "And - and if - if you had to be married; being married to a guy would be great. Could you imagine saying something, and having the words you said interpreted exactly the way that you intended your words to be interpreted? That would be a nice touch, wouldn't it? "Remember what you said ten years ago when we were driving in the car on the way to my mother's house?" -- "No." -- "Oh me neither! I'm a dude"

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Retired NFL linebacker Jeff Rohrer is gay and set to become the first former or current NFL player in a same-sex marriage, he revealed in a new interview published on Wednesday.

In the New York Times story, Rohrer, 59, opened up about his sexuality for the first time.

“I’m sure there’s going to be some people out there who have a negative reaction to this,” Rohrer told the outlet, adding, “and I’m fine with it.”

Continue reading:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...es-getting-married/ar-BBPIkp1?ocid=spartanntp
I normally bestow the "Like" casing-liner to the O.P's,,,er,,, regardless,,,, but,,, of course you'll hopefully understand this exception,,,o_O

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Good for him... I guess this is why its news... shrug.

Jeff Rohrer, who was drafted in the second round by the Dallas Cowboys in 1982, is the first known former or current National Football League player to be part of a same-sex marriage. He was a linebacker with the Cowboys from 1982-1987.
Ya,well,,, that 82-87 time span was not entirely of a footballish focus in my credentialed lifeo_O

Status
Not open for further replies.