News: Retired Cowboys LB Comes out as Gay, Getting Married

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He was married before and had kids.

He’s in the Entertainment Industry, a TV commercial producer and has been in LA for years. His story making the news has more to do with that than him being a former JAG football player getting married.

He ‘announced’ his coming out and the marriage in a public interview just a couple days ago, meaning a publicity move. He’s been gay for years.

Ya. Being privately out is the same as being publicly so.

Great take.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
The least interesting thing about anybody is their sexuality. The only time it becomes relevant is if you are intending to have sex with them, which in most people's lives is a handful of people, at most, out of
tens of thousands of people that you are going to meet over the course of your life.

zeke21

Reaction score
Whilst agreed it is not 'news'.. you never know if there is currently a young guy playing that feels like he won't be accepted etc etc and this helps him.. I don't know but I'm sure by the time there is 4-5 it won't be news anymore..

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Cant figure out how this pertains to the Cowboys....
Funny thing about all of this... The "Former Dallas Cowboy" tag is often used by the media to reach a greater audience. They often attach that lead in to many different types of stories because they know America's Team has and will always draw major interest.

We are who we are.

nobody

Reaction score
Good for him. It's always nice when a person finds somebody they want to spend the rest of their life with. Other than that, it's a non-story.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as people don’t wasn’t it to be a story, it’s still a league where there aren’t any openly gay players. Acknowledging actively gay former players is unusual enough that this is actually a milestone for a guy so far removed from the league and not an impact player to begin with.

This is a landmark thing for the NFL in its way. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of gay players in the league and in league history who are still abiding by the don’t ask, don’t tell arrangement that exists in professional sports. Rohrer can’t be the most prominent gay athelete in NFL history.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Retired NFL linebacker Jeff Rohrer is gay and set to become the first former or current NFL player in a same-sex marriage, he revealed in a new interview published on Wednesday.

In the New York Times story, Rohrer, 59, opened up about his sexuality for the first time.

“I’m sure there’s going to be some people out there who have a negative reaction to this,” Rohrer told the outlet, adding, “and I’m fine with it.”

Continue reading:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...es-getting-married/ar-BBPIkp1?ocid=spartanntp

Live and help live.

Everyone should get to be who they really are in this short life.

cern

Reaction score
I disagree.

The story now is that a guy 30 years ago had to hide his orientation.

To my knowledge, there are only a handful of players who have come out in the last five-ten years.

I expect that number will grow.
point well taken.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Site Rules Reminder:

As a member of CowboysZone, you must agree to the following rules:

#1 - You will not publicly question the actions of the staff or how this site is managed.
#5 - You will not post racist or sexually insensitive discussions or comments.

#6 - You will not post religious discussions or comments.

#7 - You will not post political discussions or comments.

link

Thanks.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Sorry but who really cares. I'm straight and getting married. Big deal for me......and bye the bye, none of you are invited. No offense.

It is kind of cool to be able to wish someone congratulations. Congrats to Jeff Rohrer. And congrats to you. Here's wishing you a happy marriage and the life that you want.

Kaiser

Reaction score
As much as people don’t wasn’t it to be a story, it’s still a league where there aren’t any openly gay players. Acknowledging actively gay former players is unusual enough that this is actually a milestone for a guy so far removed from the league and not an impact player to begin with.

This is a landmark thing for the NFL in its way. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of gay players in the league and in league history who are still abiding by the don’t ask, don’t tell arrangement that exists in professional sports. Rohrer can’t be the most prominent gay athelete in NFL history.

That is kind of a two way street though, being the first openly gay active player would come with a huge media focus that comes with a ton of problems. The player would have to want all that added distraction on top of keeping their career in a league where the average career is three years. Look at the Michael Sam situation and that was for a practice squad player.

I live in West Hollywood, CA that is probably 25% gay and IMO 90% of the gay men here want to talk about sports or the weather or basically anything but their sexuality. The other 10% can't talk about anything but their sexuality. The 90% grew up feeling like a complete outsider and likely had family conflicts about it, problems where ever they grew up, etc. That group really just wants to live their life without being treated differently, its the 10% that make all the noise. To really be "out, loud and proud" as an NFL player would have to be someone in the 10% and someone that really felt like they had job security in the NFL, which not many guys do.

Also people in this thread commented about the age difference but its pretty common in the LGBT community. If the younger guy left a bunch of family conflicts, small town problems, etc and is basically figuring out life it makes a lot of sense to be with someone who is secure in themselves, the lifestyle, financially secure etc.

I googled a couple of articles, apparentely Rohrer was really tormented by this for many years and didn't come out until he was in his 50s, which is super late for that community. He said he told his former Cowboy teammates when he came out and they were so supportive, he was moved to tears telling a reporter about it. This is from a website called Outsports (who knew that website was around?) -

As he talked about the reaction to his private coming out to some of his Cowboys teammates, his ex-wife, his friends in Los Angeles’ beach communities, and almost everyone else in his life, Rohrer became emotionally present with something bubbling inside of him.

I asked him what that was.

“Oh boy,” he said, quickly covering his face with his black napkin, a moment of raw emotion he simply hadn’t yet let out. We sat in silence for the better part of a minute, him present with the last few months of his life. When he pulled the napkin away, his eyes were scorched and watery.

“They just love me, they always have. Nothing’s changed. Nothing’s changed.”

”The kindness of my friends and my family and my teammates” he said, his voice trembling, pausing between words, doing everything he could to express the sudden joy that enveloped his new gay life. “It’s just been ridiculous how nice they have been, and how supportive. And how they don’t care about any of that. They just love me, they always have. Nothing’s changed. Nothing’s changed.”

https://www.outsports.com/2018/11/14/18067464/jeff-rohrer-gay-dallas-cowboys-nfl

It was like a fog had lifted from his sight, and he saw his own kindness — years of generosity with teammates and friends — coming back to him. When his friends and family and teammates had told him over the years that they loved him, they really meant it. Who he had been with them in that time was far more important to them than what he is.

”To know that at a time like this, that they have my back, it’s amazing. I never expected it. I figured the world is screwed, but it’s not. It’s amazing. It’s amazing.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.