Revelation of the day? Bass could be your starting center

_sturt_

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/solari-on-guyton-beebe-changes-bass-in-new-role

So not only did Solari make clear that Beebe isn't going to be handed the starting job, we now learn what some suspected... TJ Bass is also a competitor for the starting job.

And zooming out, it would seem to affirm something else that some suspected (not all)... that the coaching staff truly are in win-now mode, regardless of what anyone thinks of the front office.

Infers that Guyton truly will have to earn the LT job.

HungryLion

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/solari-on-guyton-beebe-changes-bass-in-new-role

So not only did Solari make clear that Beebe isn't going to be handed the starting job, we now learn what some suspected... TJ Bass is also a competitor for the starting job.

And zooming out, it would seem to affirm something else that some suspected (not all)... that the coaching staff truly are in win-now mode, regardless of what anyone thinks of the front office.

I think this is something that all
Coaches need to say. No coach would want to admit to handing a rookie a job even if they were doing it.

I also think that if Bass somehow does outplay Beebe. Then he should start/will start. Beebe is a 3rd round pick. It’s much easier to sell
Them not starting than it is a first round pick.

It would be an interesting scenario if it happened.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I really don't care who starts as long as their performance is the factor,...personally think Beebe's job to lose, but if Bass outplays him then Kudos to him. I like Bass. Beebe will get his shot at either G soon enough. Especially RG after Martin is gone. Good problem to have.

CCBoy

Reaction score
From draft to year three is always demanding no matter how strong a start.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I don't know who will end up better, but I feel like Beebe has a better shot at starting week 1 (somewhere) than Guyton. I'm really hoping both hit the ground running and lock down a job for a decade

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well I see the odds of someone not named Cooper Beebe being the starting OC as not being very good

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That may be what the coaches think. I hope so. But what the owner/GM and his giggling son wants is almost always what ends up happening. If ”Coach Jones” wants Guyton starting at LT and Bebee at C that’s probably what happens.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Well I see the odds of someone not named Cooper Beebe being the starting OC as not being very good
I see a coaching staff that knows the reality facing them... and that the deciding factor has to be what's in their own best interests, not what is necessarily going to make the front office people look good.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Hope it works out but I feel like the front office is under valuing the center position. Wish we could have gotten Frazier.

_sturt_

Reaction score
That may be what the coaches think. I hope so. But what the owner/GM and his giggling son wants is almost always what ends up happening. If ”Coach Jones” wants Guyton starting at LT and Bebee at C that’s probably what happens.
My timing was terrible... you posted this just as I clicked reply to the previous post.

I just don't find that take to be rational. It's not how it works, or maybe I should be more precise... it especially is not how it works when jobs are on the line. Jerry's not keeping Solari nor McCarthy just because they agreed to play the guys that would make Jerry look best. It's a lovely idea for those fans who just like to rage against The Man. But it falls flat when confronted with reason and realities like that we all like to stay employed, and one of the best ways to stay employed is to give yourself... yourself... the best evidence that keeping you employed helps the organization win.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Both Rookies will start baring injury.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
It is sorta strange to start Bebe this year then if Martin leaves next year the RG is Bebe, I would guess over Bass, so still no C. But Bass at C is also strange enough or Hoffman at C which is to me the very last option available.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Both Rookies will start baring injury.
You're predicting this because you are convinced they are the best options, or because you're convinced that coaches will make decisions against their own best interests?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LOL ....remember you and I debated this after the draft. Well, we were both off a bit...I was thinking Hoffman would likely start. Didn't think about Bass and to be honest I would love to see Beebe win it. I just know it's rare for a rookie to change positions ( especially one he's never played) and play at a high level in the NFL.

Jumbo075

Reaction score

Beebe could legitimately have been drafted to be the replacement for Zack Martin, who is likely to retire after this season. Also, the Cowboys have been asking T.J. Bass to cross train at the Center position since last summer. It looks to be a real competition at Center, and also as the primary backup for Smith and Martin at Guard. I honestly believe if Guyton isn't ready to start, they will start Edoga at LT rather than move Smith back to LT.

This could also explain the logic of signing RB Zeke Elliott. He is well known for his pass protection skills as a RB, and with so many questions on the Cowboys Oline, perhaps the Cowboys see Zeke as a personal protector for Dak, as much as him being a RB. What kept Malik Davis on the practice squad a year ago was his deficiency as a pass protector. That is also what likely kept Deuce Vaughn inactive for so many games. With the questions on the Oline, and the injury history of Rico Dowdle, the Cowboys have to plan to provide assistance in blocking until the new young members of the Oline start performing well.