Revelation of the day? Bass could be your starting center

_sturt_

Reaction score
I think Bass is an OG only.
I'm not sure where the idea that Bass could play C has come from. Spent a few minutes trying to discover if maybe he played some of that in HS or in JC (of course he mainly played left tackle at Oregon), but doesn't look like it. In fact, coming out of HS, at least one recruiting site says he was being considered a defensive line guy, with TE... yes TE... being his secondary position.

So, it sounds like this is more about Bass just desperately wanting a legit shot to start somewhere, and that the one place they're open to letting him compete is at center.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/solari-on-guyton-beebe-changes-bass-in-new-role

So not only did Solari make clear that Beebe isn't going to be handed the starting job, we now learn what some suspected... TJ Bass is also a competitor for the starting job.

And zooming out, it would seem to affirm something else that some suspected (not all)... that the coaching staff truly are in win-now mode, regardless of what anyone thinks of the front office.

Infers that Guyton truly will have to earn the LT job.
Don't believe the subterfuge. Beebe and Guyton are starters on the O-line.

Creeper

Reaction score
Wait. I thought Beebe was already elected to the pro-bowl as our starting Center? LOL

I do think Beebe will be the starting C by week 1., though it would not surprise me if it's Hoffman. But I think this may be Martin's last year in Dallas so either Beebe or Bass could take his place. From what I read, the think Bass is better playing on the right side.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If BeeBee doesn't start, I need all of you to check on those who have crowned BeeBee the next greatest center since Kelce!

_sturt_

Reaction score
Don't believe the subterfuge. Beebe and Guyton are starters on the O-line.

They could end up that way, but the cynical foreclosure as-if there will be no legitimate competition is baffling.

You see, I'm just fool enough to believe coaches on 1 year contracts do what's in their own self interest.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Nonsense. Beebe will rip Bass’ arms out and beat him death before he will give that center job up

Chasing6

Reaction score
You're predicting this because you are convinced they are the best options, or because you're convinced that coaches will make decisions against their own best interests?
I am predicting it, because that is what is going to happen, regardless of the reason. The reason can always be debated by fans.

Just like when Trance gets QB2 this year, it does not mean he beat our Copper Rush.

Just like Trance never beat our Jimmy G.

blueblood70

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/solari-on-guyton-beebe-changes-bass-in-new-role

So not only did Solari make clear that Beebe isn't going to be handed the starting job, we now learn what some suspected... TJ Bass is also a competitor for the starting job.

And zooming out, it would seem to affirm something else that some suspected (not all)... that the coaching staff truly are in win-now mode, regardless of what anyone thinks of the front office.

Infers that Guyton truly will have to earn the LT job.
nO no it's actually Hoffman who's the other center TJ bass is a guard I guess he can try to work his center but hoffman's the one that's been working at center he's our backup center and no one's getting handed the job no but you got the wrong name I don't know where you read that but hoffman's the guy who all offseason has been working in at center and he'd be the guy to watch but of course he's not gonna be handed the job but most likely he's gonna win the job he's got a nasty disposition can play all three areas of the offensive line inside and looking at him he looks like a legitimate center low to the ground got a big lower body like no neck I mean he sounds like almost a prototypical center so he just has to make sure he can get enough reps to know how to snap the ball from every angle long snap shotgun you know handing it off you know not sending it every direction if he can snap the damn ball he's gonna be really good..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'd like to think all starters do.
Exactly, I mean do they forget just in 2022 Tyler Smith was supposed to be the starting left guard thrown into the fire at left tackle and handled himself pretty well.. All the while the fanbase hated the pick and said he was raw and that the Dallas Cowboys front office didn't know what they were doing picking a project in the first round..hmm

where have we heard that before?? oh, that's right ,about Guyton like he can't play the position he may have some growing pains but I have a feeling he's going to be able to at least hold his own while he's learning it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This could also explain the logic of signing RB Zeke Elliott. He is well known for his pass protection skills as a RB, and with so many questions on the Cowboys Oline, perhaps the Cowboys see Zeke as a personal protector for Dak, as much as him being a RB
Very good point.......there is a lot Zeke can offer this w/o the ball in his hand.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I am predicting it, because that is what is going to happen, regardless of the reason. The reason can always be debated by fans.

Just like when Trance gets QB2 this year, it does not mean he beat our Copper Rush.

Just like Trance never beat our Jimmy G.

R.fd485f9f0ed8ce17656eadffcb5150c3

*marks Chasing6 in "Coaches make decisions against their own best interests" column*

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Beebe could legitimately have been drafted to be the replacement for Zack Martin, who is likely to retire after this season. Also, the Cowboys have been asking T.J. Bass to cross train at the Center position since last summer. It looks to be a real competition at Center, and also as the primary backup for Smith and Martin at Guard. I honestly believe if Guyton isn't ready to start, they will start Edoga at LT rather than move Smith back to LT.

This could also explain the logic of signing RB Zeke Elliott. He is well known for his pass protection skills as a RB, and with so many questions on the Cowboys Oline, perhaps the Cowboys see Zeke as a personal protector for Dak, as much as him being a RB. What kept Malik Davis on the practice squad a year ago was his deficiency as a pass protector. That is also what likely kept Deuce Vaughn inactive for so many games. With the questions on the Oline, and the injury history of Rico Dowdle, the Cowboys have to plan to provide assistance in blocking until the new young members of the Oline start performing well.
If Bass wins the C job, it might make sense to slide Smith to LT and put Beebe at LG.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I'm not sure where the idea that Bass could play C has come from. Spent a few minutes trying to discover if maybe he played some of that in HS or in JC (of course he mainly played left tackle at Oregon), but doesn't look like it. In fact, coming out of HS, at least one recruiting site says he was being considered a defensive line guy, with TE... yes TE... being his secondary position.

So, it sounds like this is more about Bass just desperately wanting a legit shot to start somewhere, and that the one place they're open to letting him compete is at center.
They gave Bass limited snaps last year in practices.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Keep up, blue.

Solari said it yesterday. (And not in passing. Outright said it and went on to explain it.)
I don't need to keep up I'm telling you that Hoffman all off season's been working hard at center he may it may be open competition he may have mentioned bass and it could have been a full pop you could have just slipped and said the wrong name you do understand that right but all offseason Hoffman has been the backup center including last year during the regular season and TJ bass was considered the backup guard... So I don't need to keep up but guess what during the season we're gonna see this all play out and then we could what you wanna put a bookmark here and we could talk later I already know that TJ bass has been working at guard in Hoffman at center all last year why would it change now he probably just really meant it was completely open but we all know all things being equal it's BB's job to lose...

Yes I read it but just because he's being worked in there doesn't change the fact what we saw last year and all off season and they even mentioned it Hoffman is still in my opinion will be the backup to BB or he'll be the starter and maybe the opposite and bass it's just learning position flex that's coach speak..

this?? You trying to tell me you take a lot of stock in the word throw in bass as well no he's just learning some position flex but that doesn't mean he's a front runner in any way shape or form... I don't need to keep up I hate to break it to you but I have push notifications I have several sites I visit it's easy to go to dallascowboys.com blah blah blah and I read all this stuff too that doesn't change the fact that maybe in hockey were mentioned 1st and they are the two that are most likely being the number one and #2..

"
""The three newcomers aren't the only ones being tested in new roles in Dallas, either. You can throw T.J. Bass into that mix as well — an undrafted free agent in 2023 that signed with the Cowboys as a former two-time First-team All-Pac 12 talent out of Oregon.
Bass acquitted himself exceptionally well in his first season, especially when you factor in the variables that forced him onto center stage alongside Brock Hoffman (2022 UDFA).
The key phrase here is "center stage", because while it was expected that Hoffman would battle Beebe for snaps in the middle, Solari made it clear that Bass is also one to watch there.
"We're gonna work him at center," said Solari. "He wants to start, so he's gonna compete at the center and at the guard position. That versatility is so important to have — a second or even a third center going into games. With limitations on how many offensive linemen you can dress, it's a critical factor. It's really important, and he's been studying that position.""""""

_sturt_

Reaction score
I don't need to keep up I'm telling you that Hoffman all off season's been working hard at center he may it may be open competition he may have mentioned bass and it could have been a full pop you could have just slipped and said the wrong name you do understand that right but all offseason Hoffman has been the backup center including last year during the regular season and TJ bass was considered the backup guard... So I don't need to keep up but guess what during the season we're gonna see this all play out and then we could what you wanna put a bookmark here and we could talk later I already know that TJ bass has been working at guard in Hoffman at center all last year why would it change now he probably just really meant it was completely open but we all know all things being equal it's BB's job to lose...
Periods. Like we learned in 3rd grade English. Helpful.

So, what to make of that? Another poster can thump his chest. That's fine. No laws against it. Happens a few times every thread.

I'm not pretending to thump mine as-if blessed from on high with some greater insight than I can possibly have. I'm just accepting the most authoritative source's words verbatim. It's been a practice that has served me well over the decades, and I encourage it in others.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Periods. Like we learned in 3rd grade English. Helpful.

So, what to make of that? Another poster can thump his chest. That's fine. No laws against it. Happens a few times every thread.

I'm not pretending to thump mine as-if blessed from on high with some greater insight than I can possibly have. I'm just accepting the most authoritative source's words verbatim. It's been a practice that has served me well over the decades, and I encourage it in others.
Yeah when we're in 3rd grade we didn't have smartphones text to talk or forums or the Internet

so why don't you go catch up with the times I am not changing the way I post matter of fact I'm using 2 phones and I have my PC open doing this while I'm trying to work I just got back in from the field I'm an HVAC contractor and I am not gonna fix these for the sake of you reading them if you don't know how to read sentences without proper structure then you've never had an IQ test and I feel really bad for you you know those things that go around where you're supposed to find the words within a jumble of other words and pick out where all the words are or be able to read the whole entire paragraph upside down it's funny how human beings can actually do that without thinking but apparently you need periods and commas just to make yourself be able to comprehend something someone's trying to say? There I gave you one and that's it that's all you're getting I'm not changing the way I post I have too much to do sometimes this means very little to me in the grand schemes but I'm gonna get what I need to say out and then I'll get back to what I need to do without correcting things and if I had time to come back the place times out in 5 minutes I can't fix it too bad so sad moving on..

John813

Reaction score

He took snaps at center in practice per Nick Eatman last year.

How many, how well? Who knows. Could be all offseason "hype" or maybe there's something there.
But, it does seem like the coaching staff did get him some time at center last year.

the Cowboys haven't come out and said their lineup intentions for players such as Bass, but there seems to be some talk regarding his ability to play center. He only played guard last season in the games but he did take some practice reps at center.
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/next-man-up-center-or-guard-in-play-for-t-j-bass

There's also an article on a banned site that talked about Bass getting some practice snaps at center during T.C.
McCarthy also mentioned it last TC about getting Bass involved at center.

I don't think he has the same athletic ability as Connor Williams, but he made the transition very well in Miami until his injury last year. Was looking very good at center, even though he was a tackle at UT and then a guard here. Cowboys did experiment with Williams too at center but stuck with others.

_sturt_

Reaction score
... I am not gonna fix these for the sake of you reading them
Hey, buddy, it's your life. Far be it for me to expect you to make any extraordinary efforts like punching a period. Your right. Absolutely. Be you.

(I didn't read any more than that. Naturally.)