Review of Cowboys Losses in 2019

Proof

Reaction score
We've been over this before, there is no missed FG that could be pointed to that definitely cost the Cowboys a game. The only game that comes close would be the Jets game... a game which needed a 62 yard field goal to even be in that spot. People cry about the missed field goals because that's what they do, not because it makes any sense.

There’s just so much that goes into missed fgs tho. Points off the board, change in field position etc. not to mention when you miss them at the clip Maher was it fundamentally changes in game decision making.

I’m not defending Dak whatsoever, and don’t think every conversation has to pit one point against the other, I just do feel like our fg unit (and special teams in general) contributed pretty heavily towards our weirdo season even if you can’t specifically pin a loss directly on one of the misses

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Cowboys offense scored 10 or less points in 3 winnable games against the Patriots,Saints, and Eagles for the division....but lets leave that out so we cant get full context. Cherry picking is so much more convenient when trying to justify the 40 Million Dollar Man contract

He mentioned all of those games, smart guy.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
There’s just so much that goes into missed fgs tho. Points off the board, change in field position etc. not to mention when you miss them at the clip Maher was it fundamentally changes in game decision making.

I’m not defending Dak whatsoever, and don’t think every conversation has to pit one point against the other, I just do feel like our fg unit (and special teams in general) contributed pretty heavily towards our weirdo season even if you can’t specifically pin a loss directly on one of the misses
Absolutely agree, the FG kicking was terrible and I thought especially in the Bills game that the missed FG killed our momentum. But at the end of the day there isn't really any smoking gun that is being held by Maher, any more than it's held by Dak, Zeke, etc. The team just didn't get it done that day.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You shouldn't leave out the injuries to Woods, Heath, and LVE for the Bears and Bills games. That's your 3 best run defenders in the middle of the field.

Even with that, the complete inability to adjust is still on the coach. Jason Garrett is why this team was 8-8. No more, no less.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I guess if you are going to scream about missed FGs then you also need to factor in settled FGs or no scores when the offense is in the Red Zone or at least inside the 10. Those are points off the board too.

Kickers fail and so do QBs. No one is perfect.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Cowboys offense scored 10 or less points in 3 winnable games against the Patriots,Saints, and Eagles for the division....but lets leave that out so we cant get full context. Cherry picking is so much more convenient when trying to justify the 40 Million Dollar Man contract

And how is that Dak's fault only? This is where you theory loses credibility. What did Zeke do in those 3 games?

Pats were the #1 defense in football and we played at their place in the rain and wind. Or don't you remember that? Are you saying the offense should have marched up and down the field that day?

FYI...………...Pats offense only scored 12 points in that game.

Eagles and Saints I have no issues with being critical other then the game plans were terrible from the start. Zeke or no one else on offense showed up for either of those.

Cherry picking is all you have really. The problem for you is that Dak had his best year individually and the offense was all time NFL good. Up there with the Rams team under Warner. Averaging 27 points a game with little help from your defense or kicker also doesn't support your theory.

Tough times for you Dak trolls. And with Garrett gone and Lamb you are probably feeling the heat. Better get in your last licks because its going to be getting real bad for you once the season starts.

Proof

Reaction score
The games at New Orleans, New England and at Philly were all "winnable" the defense actually played well, one more touchdown and we win all three..Right Dak..

Yes. No one is absolving Dak of any blame, just defending him against all of it. Obviously the underlying point is that you want your franchise qb (especially at this price tag) to rise above and I agree. Just saying that a LOT of things went wrong last year and it’s tiring when it’s overlooked

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We've been over this before, there is no missed FG that could be pointed to that definitely cost the Cowboys a game. The only game that comes close would be the Jets game... a game which needed a 62 yard field goal to even be in that spot. People cry about the missed field goals because that's what they do, not because it makes any sense.

Right...…….missed field goals are no big deal. You only give the team the ball on like the 50 with a huge momentum swing.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Review of 2019 Cowboys losses with regards to QB performance:

The Bears, Vikings, Packers and Bills didn't lose in 2019 when they scored as many points as they scored against the Cowboys.

That means those 4 games were defensive losses.

That leaves 4 games that might have been offensive losses:
  • Game 6: Starting OTs were rookie UDFA Brandon Knight and Cam Fleming.

• Game 4: The Cowboys had a season low in rushing yards with 45 and a season high in fumbles lost with Witten and Zeke with 1 each.

• Game 15: Dak injured his shoulder prior to that game. He would not have played if they had legit backup like Dalton in 2019.

• Game 11: In the 1st quarter with the score at 0-0, the Cowboys missed a field goal and on their next possession had a blocked punt that gave the opponent the ball with 12 yards to go for a TD. That's a 10 point swing due to special teams in a game they lost by 4 points...

I respectful disagree on two games, Minnesota and Buffalo.

No unit was at fault in the Minnesota game. Minnesota jumped out to an early lead, Dallas came back and took lead. Minnesota answered and Dallas had a chance at the end but couldn't make the plays to get the win. Best Dallas game of the year.

The Buffalo game was lost by the offense. They scored on the first drive and then disappeared for the next 51 minutes. It's a 60 minute game. The defense stopped Buffalo 4 times to FGs to keep hope alive in case the offense would wake up. But they never did.

The defense lost two games. The offense lost five games.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Review of 2019 Cowboys losses with regards to QB performance:

The Bears, Vikings, Packers and Bills didn't lose in 2019 when they scored as many points as they scored against the Cowboys.

That means those 4 games were defensive losses.e

That leaves 4 games that might have been offensive losses:
  • Game 6: Starting OTs were rookie UDFA Brandon Knight and Cam Fleming.

• Game 4: The Cowboys had a season low in rushing yards with 45 and a season high in fumbles lost with Witten and Zeke with 1 each.

• Game 15: Dak injured his shoulder prior to that game. He would not have played if they had legit backup like Dalton in 2019.

• Game 11: In the 1st quarter with the score at 0-0, the Cowboys missed a field goal and on their next possession had a blocked punt that gave the opponent the ball with 12 yards to go for a TD. That's a 10 point swing due to special teams in a game they lost by 4 points...

Sure the offense had it's struggles at times against better competition, but the main issues lie within the other two units. Defense was bad, special teams was awful. Any gains from those two units, we should see the team winning more close games.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
And how is that Dak's fault only? This is where you theory loses credibility. What did Zeke do in those 3 games?

Pats were the #1 defense in football and we played at their place in the rain and wind. Or don't you remember that? Are you saying the offense should have marched up and down the field that day?

FYI...………...Pats offense only scored 12 points in that game.

Eagles and Saints I have no issues with being critical other then the game plans were terrible from the start. Zeke or no one else on offense showed up for either of those.

Cherry picking is all you have really. The problem for you is that Dak had his best year individually and the offense was all time NFL good. Up there with the Rams team under Warner. Averaging 27 points a game with little help from your defense or kicker also doesn't support your theory.

Tough times for you Dak trolls. And with Garrett gone and Lamb you are probably feeling the heat. Better get in your last licks because its going to be getting real bad for you once the season starts.
There you go...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I respectful disagree on two games, Minnesota and Buffalo.

No unit was at fault in the Minnesota game. Minnesota jumped out to an early lead, Dallas came back and took lead. Minnesota answered and Dallas had a chance at the end but couldn't make the plays to get the win. Best Dallas game of the year.

The Buffalo game was lost by the offense. They scored on the first drive and then disappeared for the next 51 minutes. It's a 60 minute game. The defense stopped Buffalo 4 times to FGs to keep hope alive in case the offense would wake up. But they never did.

The defense lost two games. The offense lost five games.

LOL...….Offense lost 5 games? Thanks for the laugh on that one.

How many games did the offense win? How many games did the offense win and how many did the defense win?

Clarke82

Reaction score
I believe that the Cowboys had many problems last year that drove us crazy.
1. The Cowboys were a team that was built play with the lead and they constantly started slow.
2. Due to slow starts, the defense was forced to play the run and with our small tackles, LVE being hurt, and Jaylon having an off year, the run defense allowed opponents to control the game.
3. The Special Teams were maybe the worst in my 50 years of following the Cowboys.

This all added up to putting Dak in positions that would be difficult for any QB. Going into last season I thought Dak's best trait was his clutch play in the 4th quarter or overtime.
Last year it just didn't work. I believe that Dak will bounce back this season and his "Clutchness" will return to his prior efficiency.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Right...…….missed field goals are no big deal. You only give the team the ball on like the 50 with a huge momentum swing.

You can add in long KO returns giving teams starting in great field position!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I believe that the Cowboys had many problems last year that drove us crazy.
1. The Cowboys were a team that was built play with the lead and they constantly started slow.
2. Due to slow starts, the defense was forced to play the run and with our small tackles, LVE being hurt, and Jaylon having an off year, the run defense allowed opponents to control the game.
3. The Special Teams were maybe the worst in my 50 years of following the Cowboys.

This all added up to putting Dak in positions that would be difficult for any QB. Going into last season I thought Dak's best trait was his clutch play in the 4th quarter or overtime.
Last year it just didn't work. I believe that Dak will bounce back this season and his "Clutchness" will return to his prior efficiency.

Agreed. If I have a beef with Dak last year it was his inability to do what he was best at the first 3 years. However, you cant expect a QB to keep bailing out the coach or the team every year. Best part is that Dak picked a perfect time to be NOT clutch. The one year he didn't bail out Garrett, it got him fired. Thank you for that Dak.