Review of Cowboys Losses in 2019

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Anyone else wondering how the Cowboy's special teams will respond this season. I'd like to see better kick returns for once, as well as getiing more turnovers on defense. Those 2 things will really benefit our offense .

cowboygo

Reaction score

Blaming the offense or any player on the offense for going 8-8 means that you are not able to differentiate between cause and effect.

but the eye test! can't wait for the season to get started to see Dak to lead us to some wins. Hopefully makes people here angry that they were wrong for doubting. Thanks for sharing this. Its a team sport, not hard to understand that.

Brax

Reaction score

Blaming the offense or any player on the offense for going 8-8 means that you are not able to differentiate between cause and effect.

Not scoring many points and turning the ball over on downs and playing pretty bad for most first half's and only showing up for the 3rd quarter in most games shows the limited view some have of who was at fault. Excuses and blame of others just never stop at the Dak shop.

cowboygo

Reaction score
Not scoring many points and turning the ball over on downs and playing pretty bad for most first half's and only showing up for the 3rd quarter in most games shows the limited view some have of who was at fault. Excuses and blame of others just never stop at the Dak shop.
because its the QB's fault for not scoring a TD every drive. All other franchise QBs score every drive right?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Review of 2019 Cowboys losses with regards to QB performance:

The Bears, Vikings, Packers and Bills didn't lose in 2019 when they scored as many points as they scored against the Cowboys.

That means those 4 games were defensive losses.

That leaves 4 games that might have been offensive losses:
  • Game 6: Starting OTs were rookie UDFA Brandon Knight and Cam Fleming.

• Game 4: The Cowboys had a season low in rushing yards with 45 and a season high in fumbles lost with Witten and Zeke with 1 each.

• Game 15: Dak injured his shoulder prior to that game. He would not have played if they had legit backup like Dalton in 2019.

• Game 11: In the 1st quarter with the score at 0-0, the Cowboys missed a field goal and on their next possession had a blocked punt that gave the opponent the ball with 12 yards to go for a TD. That's a 10 point swing due to special teams in a game they lost by 4 points...
:muttley::huh:

Eastex

Reaction score
KD Drummond
@KDDrummondNFL

·
May 26

I'm just here to remind you that Dak Prescott's Cowboys played 10 of their 16 games against Top 15 DVOA defenses (No. 1,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,12,15), his WR/TEs dropped a league-high 46 passes, and he was Top 5-10 in a PLETHORA of adv passing stats.

And they let his kicker miss 10 FG

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I haven't gone over the missed fgs as closely as it appears you have, I'll take your word for it that it wasn't a deciding factor in any of our games. How about the decision to kick to begin with? Or how about situations where we punted and shouldn't have? I'm sure stupid decisions by the coach had some ramifications
Special-teams was an absolute disaster. We started almost every drive inside our own 30 25 yard line. That turns out to be like six extra plays you need to make it to the end zone . Trevon Austin’s fair catch killed us. But that’s all on Jason Garrett. I keep saying we’re never going to know what we truly have on this team until we get a season under the new head coach

Dreski

Reaction score
The games at New Orleans, New England and at Philly were all "winnable" the defense actually played well, one more touchdown and we win all three..Right Dak..

I feel like we were in it until Witten and Zeke both lost a fumble. I think Dak could have played better too, but those turn overs changed momentum and could have affected play calls

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Cowboys offense scored 10 or less points in 3 winnable games against the Patriots,Saints, and Eagles for the division....but lets leave that out so we cant get full context. Cherry picking is so much more convenient when trying to justify the 40 Million Dollar Man contract
What the hell you talking bout? You're the queen of cherry picking.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Dallas was 8th in the league in 1st half scoring at 12.9 points per half, and the offense turned the ball over on downs one time in the first half all season.

The length the that Dak detractors have to go to lie and try and prove a point is sad.

Facts don't care about your eye test.

You should stop posting for a little bit, yours are getting so bad.

Edit: funniest thing I didn't mention Dak anywhere in my post. You guys who can't put a complete sentence together without trying to trash Dak really need to get checked mentally.

Last edited:

12+88=7

Reaction score
LOL...….Offense lost 5 games? Thanks for the laugh on that one.

How many games did the offense win? How many games did the offense win and how many did the defense win?

I was responding to the OP covering the 8 losses and assigng blame. I disagreed on two games being the defenses fault.

Why didn't you attack the OP for assigning four losses to the offense in the original post?

Reaction score
The impact of the kicking game on the failure of the 2019 Dallas Cowboys can not be overlooked, but at any given time, there were multiple other aspects affecting the Cowboy's ability to win games and Dak shared in some of those moments. Too many people are putting all on Dak, or absolving him completely when the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Dak needs to be better in 2020 for the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl.
The ENTIRE team needs to be better in 2020 for the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl.
The coaching absolutely needs to be better in 2020 for the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl.

None of these things happen in a vacuum. They all affect one another. Missed field goals alone did not lose games. Coaching blunders alone did not lose games (as much as I want to say they did). Poor performances by Dak alone did not lose games. I've said it before and I will repeat it until I'm dead and buried, there are too many people rooting against players/for players, at the behest of the TEAM, which is the most important thing.
Agree completely. Well said.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Bears, Vikings, Packers and Bills didn't lose in 2019 when they scored as many points as they scored against the Cowboys.

• Game 4: The Cowboys had a season low in rushing yards with 45 and a season high in fumbles lost with Witten and Zeke with 1 each.

• Game 15: Dak injured his shoulder prior to that game. He would not have played if they had legit backup like Dalton in 2019.

• Game 11: In the 1st quarter with the score at 0-0, the Cowboys missed a field goal and on their next possession had a blocked punt that gave the opponent the ball with 12 yards to go for a TD. That's a 10 point swing due to special teams in a game they lost by 4 points...
You can't win if you don't score points.
The QB is mostly responsible for the above or else go watch baseball.
Now go cook some more Dak-Stats to try to fool the masses.....:rolleyes:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Anyone else wondering how the Cowboy's special teams will respond this season. I'd like to see better kick returns for once, as well as getiing more turnovers on defense. Those 2 things will really benefit our offense .
I was responding to the OP covering the 8 losses and assigng blame. I disagreed on two games being the defenses fault.

Why didn't you attack the OP for assigning four losses to the offense in the original post?

It was more about the defense only losing 2.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Here's my review:

The Cowboys lost eight games and missed the playoffs because the team wasn't good enough. Then again, they failed in another "win-and-in" game, so that's sort of like the playoffs, right? ;)

For conjecture sake: Cowboys 2019-20 Defense Rank-11th
2019-20 NFC Playoff participant defensive rankings
Seattle-22nd
Philly-15th
New Orleans-13th

Minnesota-5th
San Francisco-8th
Green Bay-9th

2019-20 AFC Playoff participant defensive rankings
Tennessee-12th
New England-1st
Buffalo-2nd
Houston-19th
Kansas City-7th
Baltimore-3rd

Reference:https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/opp.htm

Talk amongst yourselves... :muttley:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I call BS agenda commentary here/ You just reported facts until the Cooper/backup comment. Fcat is the coaches never gave us a chance to SEE Cooper...so how do you KNOW he wasn;t a legit backup/ Because they didn't use him in game 15? You can;t use that kind of logic fallacy and expect to have credibility. It was a lapse in judgement that may have cost us the game.

If Dak never played in 2016....you'd'a said "well he's not a legit back up" (let alone a starter)...since they coaches would have not used him? Makes no sense.

NOPE...he got his shot and we got to see he was a real QB. IT's the only way to truly know.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys offense scored 10 or less points in 3 winnable games against the Patriots,Saints, and Eagles for the division....but lets leave that out so we cant get full context. Cherry picking is so much more convenient when trying to justify the 40 Million Dollar Man contract

I think all the players bear responsibility for that. And that includes Dak...the QB that runs the offense. Add the loss to the jets and those aren't "just losses"...terrible ones the a "loss" can;t even begin to cover.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak was the best player on our team last year and bright spot of the season. Offense was the strength of the team by far. They were up there top 5 all time in offensive rating in regards to yards.

Team had some issues with the offense in the redzone in key situations. Situations they didn't have the first couple years under Dak. That's why they led the league in last drive comebacks under Dak the first 3 years.

I see this offense and Dak completely taking off with MM and an unleashed Moore. Dak is entering his prime and has more weapons then every. My only concern is the Oline. If the Oline is sub par it makes all these great skill players much less effective.

I agree. And I just wish ALL of us could give ALL of the players a free pass and clean slate for next year.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Here's my review:

The Cowboys lost eight games and missed the playoffs because the team wasn't good enough. Then again, they failed in another "win-and-in" game, so that's sort of like the playoffs, right? ;)

For conjecture sake: Cowboys 2019-20 Defense Rank-11th
2019-20 NFC Playoff participant defensive rankings
Seattle-22nd
Philly-15th
New Orleans-13th

Minnesota-5th
San Francisco-8th
Green Bay-9th

2019-20 AFC Playoff participant defensive rankings
Tennessee-12th
New England-1st
Buffalo-2nd
Houston-19th
Kansas City-7th
Baltimore-3rd

Reference:https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/opp.htm

Talk amongst yourselves... :muttley:

Yikes. Imagine using total points against as your basis for defensive performance.

To fight silly logic with silly logic.

Top 10 scoring offenses(Playoffs):
Ravens(Y)
9ers(Y)
Saints(Y)
Bucs(N)
Chiefs(Y)
Cowboys(N)
Pats(Y)
Vikings(Y)
Seattle(Y)
Titans(Y)