Review of Cowboys Losses in 2019

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
And yes, I do disagree with that. It's not the 80's and 90's anymore. You can't "key" the run by just staying in base defense anymore. Teams will simply audible and gut you. In the modern NFL, you key the run by disguising players' intentions and actions post-snap. Whether it be disgusting run blitzes, disguising coverages meant to keep eyes in the backfield, playing a bigger safety in the box in a hybrid role, pinching or slanting your line etc. etc. etc. I'm not saying you're completely wrong, but you're using very dated methods that are rarely, if ever used outside of short-yardage situations.

You're not seeming to understand.

"Staying in base" is not the same as using base at an above NFL average rate at all.

Sure teams use those methods to stop the run, which is what Kaiser and I were taking about you quoted me. But there's nothing to suggest those methods are used at a higher rate against our Cowboys than other teams.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
You're not seeming to understand.

"Staying in base" is not the same as using base at an above NFL average rate at all.

Sure teams use those methods to stop the run, which is what Kaiser and I were taking about you quoted me. But there's nothing to suggest those methods are used at a higher rate against our Cowboys than other teams.

Most teams use nickel as their "base" now. So, yes, most teams are in fact staying in their base defense most of the time (I'm not even sure if that helps your points or mine... haha). They're then using the schemes I mentioned above to disguise when they're keying the run. If you or I immediately knew what they were doing and diagnosed it, don't you think NFL teams would too, and therefore the entire practice would be pointless? However, once the ball is snapped and a Safety or LB's first steps are almost always toward the LOS, they're keying the run first. That's what I saw a considerable amount of the time other than obvious passing down like third and long.

So, under those circumstances, yes I tend to believe the players/coaches who do this for a living when they continually say they keyed on Zeke. I think that's a little less crazy than relying on a conspiracy theory that teams only say that as "trash talk" or to put down the QB play--particularly when those same players have nothing but praise for Dak.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Did I say that anywhere?

The combination of other teams not stacking the box, and not staying in base defenses, the two most known ways to stop the run tells us that teams are not keying in on Zeke to stop him.

Now to put you on record, do you disagree with that?

Lol yes, and in all likelihood, I've been around it much longer than you have.

What position did you play? I was a corner and free safety. I couldn't even recant to you the number of times a coach told me to keep my eyes on #22 (or whatever the runningback was). As a safety I can't even recall the number of times the coaches would tell me to line up a few yards shallow of my normal drop and be ready to fire gaps in the run game.

I'm not sure where you played, but these are the things I look for as a former DB when I saying "keying the run." Outside of "stacked boxes" and/or "base defenses" I am looking for what the defense does immediately after the snap of the ball. When I watch that, it certainly seems as if the Cowboys see those sorts of reactions more than other teams.

But, I'll admit, I haven't seen every snap for every team in every game in at least 39 years.

starfan1

Reaction score
I am not saying either way. Like I said...we been blasting Garrett pretty hard for years....now I'm supposed to trust him? Because of QB agendas?

If Romo hadn't gotten hurt, we would have assessed Dak as "not a good backup" because we didn't play him...even with a game out of reach.

Sorry Star...I just don't see this as good logic. It's an unknown.
I get your logic somewhat but that really isn’t apples to apples

Romo while having a good 2014 was already an injury concern
They were already concerned thus them finally drafting a replacement

they built this team with Romo in mind on the offensive side of the ball. But mr pretzel couldn’t hang in a preseason game no less.

Dak is not an injury concern and the cowboys are all in on him.

dalton makes the first time since orton the cowboys have had a decent back up it’s just Jerry’s priority much like safety

coopers presence was not as a reliable back up. The staff knew it and it may not have been Garrett making that recommendation it may very well have been kitna or even Moore imo

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Cowboys offense scored 10 or less points in 3 winnable games against the Patriots,Saints, and Eagles for the division....but lets leave that out so we cant get full context. Cherry picking is so much more convenient when trying to justify the 40 Million Dollar Man contract

Another Prescott hater doing what they do very well by using a made up piece of speculation as some kind of fact. That 40 mil a year that fools nobody but the Prescott haters have this moronic idea that it's a factual amount. They also hate it when it's proven that blame for that 8 - 8 season is placed at the feet of others and not just Prescott. The only good thing about all this Prescott hating is when he finally signs his contract and the Cowboys go on and win the rest of us will be able to look back at this and laugh our butts off at the haters.

starfan1

Reaction score
That's true. But when it comes to facts that is what we know.

Thinking that Zeke sees more of those disguised packages than the average NFL RB would again be guessing. So if we were to just use the information we have on hand along with assuming all running backs see disguised fronts like you mentioned we can come to an easy conclusion.

But in general if the opposition is playing against the run it will show up in their personnel package with 3 LBs in favor of faster and coverage driven DBs, so the pre-snap alignment is a MUCH bigger factor when determining facing stacked boxes.

ya I believe that myth of box stacking has been debunked with stats but it’s much easier to slide that box stacking argument into the Dak dislike agenda

J_Allen

Reaction score
Looking at how well we did in the draft, I'm glad we lost them.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Good writeup. The whole season was really a snakebit year, Romo called it perfectly on one of the broadcasts. It was a 12 win team that went 8-8 because of every break going against them. On top of it the team quit against the Bears and Bills.

The Pats game was decided on the blocked punt like you say. The Jets game had problems like the coaching coming in with a conservative game plan, but on top of that all of the WRs, OTs and CBs went out with injuries at once. Then to top it off they had a 14 point swing on an Olawale mistake followed by allowing a 90 yard TD.

The Packers game had a 14 point swing in a potential TD pass hitting Amari Cooper in the hands and going through them for an INT. That kind of play will happen with Amari once every ten years.

The 2016 team was the opposite, all the breaks went their way and a 10 win team won 13 games. Last year a 12 win team won 8.

Thats what happens when the gameplan to is to keep it close to the vest and play conservatively. Playing not to lose is a recipe for disaster. I point the finger to Garrett and his conservative and predictable style of running the team. The process he talks about is nothing but a big failure and produces outcomes like 8-8 seasons.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Great question.

A missed FG and blocked Punt were the difference in the Pats game with was a 4 point loss.

A missed FG was the difference in the Jets game which was a 2 point loss.

There was a missed FG in the 4 point loss to the Vikings. The Cowboys might have been in position to kick another FG if not for the previously missed FG.

He missed 2 in both the Packers and Bills games. Both game would have been with 1 score if he had made the FGs.

He missed 1 vs the Bears. It would have been a 4 point game without the missed FG.

The only loss without a missed FG was the game vs the Eagles when Dak's should had been injured the previous week.
10 missed field goals. That's 30 points, GONE. Not to mention if the opponent took that missed field goal and scored a TD thereafter.

DanA

Reaction score
There’s probably 5 factors that had a major contribution:
1. Special teams. Blocked punts, bad punts, missed tackles, poor returning, missed field goals.

2. RedZone efficiency. We have good route runners but very few contested catch guys. We got better there with Lamb but improvement has to come from Dak/Zeke.

3. Defensive interior. It got run all over, Woods missed a chunk and we struggled to contain the run.

4. Defensive line depth. The second unit just plain sucked.

5. Coaching/play calling. There were some terrible game day decisions.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But stacking the box ahead of the snap is only one part of the picture. Teams can key on the run, run blitz and have the DBs play against the short stuff with greater gambles of long gains and it won't show up as stacking the box. The way teams played after the snap was a bigger factor than their initial alignments IMO.

Yes, Mike Nolan likes to use a bigger than normal front 7 to stop the run instead of 8 in the box.

He'll use a DE/LB at OLB that makes it basically 5 DL when he wants to stop the run.

That does not show up in any stats.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The games at New Orleans, New England and at Philly were all "winnable" the defense actually played well, one more touchdown and we win all three..Right Dak..

Saints Game
- The Cowboys had a season low in rushing yards with 45 and a season high in fumbles lost with Witten and Zeke with 1 each.

Eagles Game 15
  • Dak injured his shoulder the week prior to the game.
  • If they had a legit backup like Dalton then, Dak would not have played.
  • They only had 54 yards rushing. The 15M per RB has to do better when the QB is injured.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I respectful disagree on two games, Minnesota and Buffalo.

No unit was at fault in the Minnesota game. Minnesota jumped out to an early lead, Dallas came back and took lead. Minnesota answered and Dallas had a chance at the end but couldn't make the plays to get the win. Best Dallas game of the year.

The Buffalo game was lost by the offense. They scored on the first drive and then disappeared for the next 51 minutes. It's a 60 minute game. The defense stopped Buffalo 4 times to FGs to keep hope alive in case the offense would wake up. But they never did.

The defense lost two games. The offense lost five games.

Buffalo didn't lose a game when their offense scored as many points as they scored against the Cowboys.

Same with Minnesota.

basel90

Reaction score
Dak never had the talent to overcome The cowboys defensive issues , nor could he overcome good opponent defenses . This is why he is not elite . Cannot think of a game where Dak saved the team .

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone else wondering how the Cowboy's special teams will respond this season. I'd like to see better kick returns for once, as well as getiing more turnovers on defense. Those 2 things will really benefit our offense .
Big Kick Returns are almost non-existent in the NFL now.

Punt returns is where they should target improvement and obviously punting and kicking field goals was a big problem.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I call BS agenda commentary here/ You just reported facts until the Cooper/backup comment. Fcat is the coaches never gave us a chance to SEE Cooper...so how do you KNOW he wasn;t a legit backup/ Because they didn't use him in game 15? You can;t use that kind of logic fallacy and expect to have credibility. It was a lapse in judgement that may have cost us the game.

If Dak never played in 2016....you'd'a said "well he's not a legit back up" (let alone a starter)...since they coaches would have not used him? Makes no sense.

NOPE...he got his shot and we got to see he was a real QB. IT's the only way to truly know.

Teams don't cut "legit backup QBs" that are under contract on a very small contract.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Saints Game
- The Cowboys had a season low in rushing yards with 45 and a season high in fumbles lost with Witten and Zeke with 1 each.

Also the Saints game was one where their defense played a fantastic game. We lost by 2 points on the road when the spread was 3, but IMO the real story of that game was their defense played a great game and deserve the credit for that win.

I think of that game as one where the Saints D won it, not that Dallas lost.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Right off the bat some of the dumbest logic ever seen on these boards...smh.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Big Kick Returns are almost non-existent in the NFL now.

Punt returns is where they should target improvement and obviously punting and kicking field goals was a big problem.
Kick returns for touchdowns are nice, I would be happy with decent field position.