Review of Cowboys Losses in 2019

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Zeke doesn't run the team, never has. Now....when opposing coaches game plan to stack the box.....indicates zeke is a critical part of the team. Well according to opposing NFL head coaches anyway.
You have to understand. This response was for someone else.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Agreed. If I have a beef with Dak last year it was his inability to do what he was best at the first 3 years. However, you cant expect a QB to keep bailing out the coach or the team every year. Best part is that Dak picked a perfect time to be NOT clutch. The one year he didn't bail out Garrett, it got him fired. Thank you for that Dak.
Thank you Dak!

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Zeke doesn't run the team, never has. Now....when opposing coaches game plan to stack the box.....indicates zeke is a critical part of the team. Well according to opposing NFL head coaches anyway.
This post was not for anyone other than pappy.Pay a little bit more attention

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I call BS agenda commentary here/ You just reported facts until the Cooper/backup comment. Fcat is the coaches never gave us a chance to SEE Cooper...so how do you KNOW he wasn;t a legit backup/ Because they didn't use him in game 15? You can;t use that kind of logic fallacy and expect to have credibility. It was a lapse in judgement that may have cost us the game.

If Dak never played in 2016....you'd'a said "well he's not a legit back up" (let alone a starter)...since they coaches would have not used him? Makes no sense.

NOPE...he got his shot and we got to see he was a real QB. IT's the only way to truly know.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Post of the day!

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
So you think a win or go home is the best time to see if we have a legit QB2?

The coaches probably thought that an injured Dak gave us a better chance than a healthy Rush. Who knows what would have happened had we played him, but it was the coaches choice.
It was a choice made by inept coaches.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
(Let me get this straight...we just spent 4-5 years and all spring blasting Garrett for being a bad coach...but now SUDDENLY with THIS issue he was awesome and wise? Come on.)

I didn't say he made the right decision. Maybe Rush does win that game or maybe we should blame him for not having a better QB2. Bottom line it was the coaches decision.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Posters guessing that teams stack the box against Zeke are wrong. Posters guessing that NFL head coaches game plan a certain way against Zeke are also wrong. Unless they can give proof of their conversation with the NFL head coaches they mention.

But stacking the box ahead of the snap is only one part of the picture. Teams can key on the run, run blitz and have the DBs play against the short stuff with greater gambles of long gains and it won't show up as stacking the box. The way teams played after the snap was a bigger factor than their initial alignments IMO.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
But stacking the box ahead of the snap is only one part of the picture. Teams can key on the run, run blitz and have the DBs play against the short stuff with greater gambles of long gains and it won't show up as stacking the box. The way teams played after the snap was a bigger factor than their initial alignments IMO.

That's true. But when it comes to facts that is what we know.

Thinking that Zeke sees more of those disguised packages than the average NFL RB would again be guessing. So if we were to just use the information we have on hand along with assuming all running backs see disguised fronts like you mentioned we can come to an easy conclusion.

But in general if the opposition is playing against the run it will show up in their personnel package with 3 LBs in favor of faster and coverage driven DBs, so the pre-snap alignment is a MUCH bigger factor when determining facing stacked boxes.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
That's true. But when it comes to facts that is what we know.

Thinking that Zeke sees more of those disguised packages than the average NFL RB would again be guessing. So if we were to just use the information we have on hand along with assuming all running backs see disguised fronts like you mentioned we can come to an easy conclusion.

I think the discrepancy here is usually semantics. Coaches and player shave both come out and said they "keyed on the run." This doesn't mean they stacked the box, but their initially reads were almost always run, except in passing situations. This exact topic went like 50 pages deep last year I believe.

If you don't think teams key the run against Zeke more than some of the other backs in the league, I think you're doing Zeke and yourself a disservice.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I think the discrepancy here is usually semantics. Coaches and player shave both come out and said they "keyed on the run." This doesn't mean they stacked the box, but their initially reads were almost always run, except in passing situations. This exact topic went like 50 pages deep last year I believe.

If you don't think teams key the run against Zeke more than some of the other backs in the league, I think you're doing Zeke and yourself a disservice.

You can think that, I just prefer to use facts/stats and they don't seem to support that narrative. If they wanted to stop the run they would use more base packages instead of bringing a DB on the field in lieu of a LB.

Players also said that about Gurley during the Rams Super Bowl run. Yet Gurley ran against the lowest stacked boxes in the league and ran through them with efficiency we will never see out of Zeke. Players like talking trash and that's one way of doing it. Say the QB sucks by saying you keyed in on the run to win. Even if it is just one time, which is what you are referring to.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice by using player speak by very few individuals over actual statistics.

Last edited:

texbumthelife

Reaction score
You can think that, I just prefer to use facts/stats and they don't seem to support that narrative. If they wanted to stop the run they would use more base packages instead of bringing a DB on the field in lieu of a LB.

Players also said that about Gurley during the Rams Super Bowl run. Yet Gurley ran against the lowest stacked boxes in the league and ran through them with efficiency we will never see out of Zeke. Players like talking trash and that's one way of doing it. Say the QB sucks by saying you keyed in on the run to win. Even if it is just one time, which is what you are referring to.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice by using player speech by very few individuals over actual statistics.

What statistics? You didn't post any.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

I think you're doing yourself a disservice by using player speech by very few individuals over actual statistics.

I just want to be clear, and get you on record as saying that unless teams stay in base defense, they're not keying on the run. That's really the statement you want to make?

If that's the case, I just have to ask: Did you ever actually play football?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I just want to be clear, and get you on record as saying that unless teams stay in base defense, they're not keying on the run. That's really the statement you want to make?

If that's the case, I just have to ask: Did you ever actually play football?

Did I say that anywhere?

The combination of other teams not stacking the box, and not staying in base defenses, the two most known ways to stop the run tells us that teams are not keying in on Zeke to stop him.

Now to put you on record, do you disagree with that?

Lol yes, and in all likelihood, I've been around it much longer than you have.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
What statistics? You didn't post any.

Maybe it's because you interjected into a conversation.

But I clearly stated that Zeke hadn't seen even NFL average % of runs against stacked boxes(can be found on nextgenstats) any year outside of 2017. In that same year Alfred Morris saw more stacked boxes on the same team.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Did I say that anywhere?

The combination of other teams not stacking the box, and not staying in base defenses, the two most known ways to stop the run tells us that teams are not keying in on Zeke to stop him.

Saquon Barkley saw the 8th fewest amount of 8-man fronts in the league last year. Do you think teams weren't keying the run against the Giants?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Did I say that anywhere?

And yes, I do disagree with that. It's not the 80's and 90's anymore. You can't "key" the run by just staying in base defense anymore. Teams will simply audible and gut you. In the modern NFL, you key the run by disguising players' intentions and actions post-snap. Whether it be disgusting run blitzes, disguising coverages meant to keep eyes in the backfield, playing a bigger safety in the box in a hybrid role, pinching or slanting your line etc. etc. etc. I'm not saying you're completely wrong, but you're using very dated methods that are rarely, if ever used outside of short-yardage situations.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Saquon Barkley saw the 8th fewest amount of 8-man fronts in the league last year. Do you think teams weren't keying the run against the Giants?
There's nothing to say that teams were against the Giants, and why would they?
Barkley is one of the best receiving backs in the league as well as a runner.

You didnt answer my question. Make sure to circle back.