Review of DEs on the current roster

visionary

Reaction score
Again this started as a comparison of fans perception not an actual comparison of players.

Pessimist fans:
1993 not excited about Haley
2014 not excited about Melton

Optimistic fans:
1993 were excited about Haley
2014 are excited about Melton

XW, this is not true

not many would characterize me as the uber optimistic/pie in the sky fan but i like the signing of melton and was VERY excited about Haley coming in 1993

many fans who were "optimistic" back then can be characterized as "pessimistic" now and that is completely based on team performance and poor decisions by the front office

it is the other parts of your analysis that people are finding fault with here

Offsides

Reaction score
What will spencer get as a salary? I expect he takes a low salary to prove his value again.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Not even close to enough talent....if those players weren't on the Cowboys roster you would not be talking them up like that.

Mincey and Selvie can probably produce a league adequate SDE rotation, but there's nothing else there that should be on a 53 man roster at DE. Unless Crawford plays DE, but I'm not sure that's going to happen except a few plays a game in certain packages.

But they are on the roster... And this is a Cowboys' board. ;)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
XW, this is not true

not many would characterize me as the uber optimistic/pie in the sky fan but i like the signing of melton and was VERY excited about Haley coming in 1993

many fans who were "optimistic" back then can be characterized as "pessimistic" now and that is completely based on team performance and poor decisions by the front office

it is the other parts of your analysis that people are finding fault with here
Maybe I could use better labels than optimist/pessimist, but my point is that the TYPE of fan that is not excited about Melton were not excited about Haley.

That appears to be correct in your case. You liked both.

People were pessimistic back then also. The team was bad in the mid to late eighties. They lost 44-0 to the Bears in 86. When Jimmie came in many many fans laughed and moaned that he was a college coach that was in over his head.

There are always going to be bandwagon fans that say the team sucks every year until they start winning. Those fans were around in 1992 and they're around now. Those people would be whining regardless if the Cowboys spent Zero in free agency or is they were the top spender. I'm sure that many of the fans that are currently whining about not signing more/better free agents on the Dline were moaning last year when the Cowboys spent as much as possible to retain Spencer, Rat, and Ware.