Revisiting Maher over Bailey

jrumann59

Reaction score
Need to find a kicker in the draft or an overlooked undrafted gem like Bailey
Sorry kicker is one position that you do not draft. I mean I guess if you have 7th rounder and no one really excites you. UDFA kickers are friggin pennies.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Change to who? Guy just nailed a 62 yarder and is improving...84% is a solid nfl kicker, we just got spoiled bc we had one of the all time bests

There are always kickers on the street. A guy like Kai Forbath would interest me.

Maher is a 78% kicker in the CFL and we've seen his accuracy regress as the season's gone on. He worries me.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
I think it was a mistake for Bailey to play this year. I know there were scouts saying he didnt look healthy yet. He’s only 30 so he might find his groove again before all is said and done. But there’s no doubt now that it made sense to move on from him. Maher has been good but there have been some recent cracks that have me worried. Not only on FGs but KOs as well. That 62 yarder was nice though.

erod

Reaction score
Maher is pretty good, and with Bailey in a tailspin, this was obviously the right decision.

JustChip

Reaction score
I would make the change now. With the playoffs in mind. He's too erratic. I don't want to get eliminated because he missed a 40 yarder as time expires.

I've never been comfortable in my 50+ years of Cowboys fandom with any kicker when the game's on the line. Even when Bailey had made 20 something in a row, I sat there thinking "ok, is this the kick that ends the streak?". I just hope it doesn't come down to having to make a kick to avoid elimination.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
My takeaway from the numbers is not to prop up Maher but to say we’re probably in a better place than if we stuck with Bailey.

That’s not to say Maher won’t end up costing us a game.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I was at the game Sunday and some drunk maroon kept telling me to bring back Bailey. I said he’s on the Vikings first off and Maher just made a 62 yarder. Na but bailey would help us win more. GO AWAY lol

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Current stats:

Maher
27 for 32
84.4%
XP (25/26)

Bailey
16 for 23
69.6%
XP (21/22)

Fourteen teams have a better field goal percentage than us, so while there's no doubt moving on from Bailey was for the best, I'd like to see us pursue a more accurate kicker than Maher. He got a second chance Sunday and nailed that 62-yarder, but that was fortunate after he missed a much easier kick.

Upgrade the position when and if we can, but at least Maher is average.

Jipper

Reaction score
There are always kickers on the street. A guy like Kai Forbath would interest me.

Maher is a 78% kicker in the CFL and we've seen his accuracy regress as the season's gone on. He worries me.

he was a 78% kicker in the CFL, he IS a 84% kicker in the NFL....yes hes missed a few kicks here and there but nothing that would put him at less than average for the majority of nfl teams....him nailing that 62 yarder was incredible and I would imagine that goes a long way to builidng his confidence....kicking is a very mental thing and events like that can be big confidence builders.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he was a 78% kicker in the CFL, he IS a 84% kicker in the NFL....yes hes missed a few kicks here and there but nothing that would put him at less than average for the majority of nfl teams....him nailing that 62 yarder was incredible and I would imagine that goes a long way to builidng his confidence....kicking is a very mental thing and events like that can be big confidence builders.

He's a 78% kicker in the CFL over years. He's a declining 84% in the NFL over 13 games.

Forbath isn't great but he's got a better percentage than that as a NFL veteran.

I don't know where I'm losing you. I simply don't trust Maher and, yes, there are other options.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

True but how can you have confidence on a player who is not even on a team right now? Believe me right now I have fingers crossed when we go out for a FG but I don't see how confidence would be any higher with a player who is out of the league right now

Jipper

Reaction score
He's a 78% kicker in the CFL over years. He's a declining 84% in the NFL over 13 games.

Forbath isn't great but he's got a better percentage than that as a NFL veteran.

I don't know where I'm losing you. I simply don't trust Maher and, yes, there are other options.

you aren't losing me, i just don't agree with you entirely. Yes there is risk with Maher but he has the added benefit of a very long range and his accuracy is not so bad that it is easily replacable. You might be able to bring in someone like Forbath off the street but there is no guarantee he would be any more accurate or that he has the leg to equal Maher. What I am getting at is the grass is not always greener and Maher has been a part of this run and is part of the team, why throw a wrench in it now for the sake of a couple of percentage points.

Swanny

Reaction score
I'd get rid of Maher too. He's missed too many kicks lately and several near misses. He's got a big leg but I have no confidence whatsoever in him making a big kick in the playoffs.
84.4% I'll take that from my kicker every year for the rest of my life. Including if on 100% of his Made FGs were near misses.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
I am sure Bailey was regressing but I wonder how much Dallas unexpectedly cutting him further threw him for a mental tailspin?

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Maher is still pretty bad. Kickers separate themselves at the 40-49 range, they're all money inside of 40. Parkey is the only kicker in the league who has missed more than 1 from that range.

Maher hasn't been particularly good in that 40-49 range though. He's at 70%, 7-10, which is around 25th, depending on how many kicks you need to qualify. Bailey is 3-8 though lol.
Oh yeah smarty pants?!, what is his ranking on FG's in the 61.9 to 62.1 yard range? Boom! Mic Drop.......

eromeopolk

Reaction score
DuNlHG8WwAEXxCW.jpg
Will Lutz and Greg the Leg are my Fantasy team kickers. Maher has to make me feel better with another 16 in a row before I risk my Fantasy football championships.

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score
Change to who? Guy just nailed a 62 yarder and is improving...84% is a solid nfl kicker, we just got spoiled bc we had one of the all time bests

Don't you know how we do it? If a player isn't perfect, he has to GO.

Dak throws for 455 and 3 TD's? OFF WITH HIS HEAD! He missed a few wide open guys, so he's a bum.

Maher drills the longest FG in franchise history (and 3rd longest in NFL history)? OFF WITH HIS HEAD! He missed one earlier from the 40's, so he's a bum.

Rod Smith makes several key runs and has nearly a 7 ypc average? OFF WITH HIS HEAD! He doesn't run a 4.3 40, so he's a bum.

Kills me how we could have won the division and on a 5 game winning streak, and so called experts in here think anyone who isn't an All-Pro at his position is a bum. Good Lord, can you imagine being the child of these people? Anything less than perfection isn't acceptable. Yikes.