Revisting the Wentz vs Dak debate

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Because they're rookie QBs from the same draft class in the same division.
We're going to be debating who's better until we die.
:hammer:

Same goes for Winston & Mariota

Bortles/Manziel

Andrew Luck/RGMe

Sam Bradford/Timmy Tebow

Matt Ryan/Joe Flacco

Aaron Rogers/Alex Smith

Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers

Mike Vick/Drew Brees

Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf (lul)

The only major difference is all those guys went 1/2... Rayne Prescott went 135th..

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Im not missing the point. You and most on here are pointing to Dak's stats and formulating an opinion based on these stats and the fact that he's a Cowboy.
Going by that criteria (Daks superior stats), Dak is more talented than:

Wentz
Winston
Mariota

And a slew of other QBs his numbers are better than. The Cowboys themselves thought Wentz, Lynch, and even Cook was more talented than Dak. A little over half a season wont change my opinion.

Wentz's numbers would be better here instead of Philly and Daks would be worse in Philly. Would the fact his numbers would be lower change your opinion on who is more talented?

Dak is better than all those quarterbacks that you mentioned. Did you see the poor decisions Winston made in the Seattle game?

It's true that the Cowboys didn't recognize how good Dak was at first. But to their credit they drafted him and recognized that he earned the starting job, even over a healthy Romo. That says a lot about the quality of Dak's play.

Sydla

Reaction score
Would Montana be one of the all time greats without Jerry Rice? Would Brady be the greatest QB ever without Belichick? Its all assumptions. What we know is that Brady is indeed the best ever.

That's really not my point. Yes, great QBs have often had great players. I am not trying to knock Dak here.

But I doubt a QB can be great with totally awful talent around him. So reaching conclusions that Wentz isn't or can't be as good as Dak is silly to me.

ctrous25

Stay Classy Philly/Minny
Reaction score
Wentz can make throws that Prescott can not (or has yet to show)

Wentz has more athletic ability

Wentz is a more accurate thrower (before you point out completion %, is Kirk cousins more accurate than Romo?)
He's not more athletic than Dak, not even close my NY brother

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
i mean idk dak has been pretty amazing. i too think hes better than Wentz.

at the end of the day u arent gona win a battle for wentz on this board. daks play for one and second we are cowboy fans.

try an eagles board...

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Also, the notion that Wentz has better mechanics than Prescott is a total reach too. Wentz has come under criticism for some sloppy mechanics in recent weeks. He even admitted it publicly that he had things to clean up in some bad games.

Also, to say he's a much better athlete and faster is a stretch too. Anyone who watches both can see that Prescott is a better runner than Wentz. Wentz is very mobile especially for a guy his size but Prescott is clearly the more accomplished and polished runner. So to conclude Wentz is faster or a better athlete is just Dak hate IMO.

Wentz had a better 40 time and a better 3 cone time. It's not a stretch to say Wentz might be faster or a better athlete.

But, I guess you will conclude that the combine and nfl.com are hating on Dak.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dak-prescott?id=2555260
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/carson-wentz?id=2555259

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
That's really not my point. Yes, great QBs have often had great players. I am not trying to knock Dak here.

But I doubt a QB can be great with totally awful talent around him. So reaching conclusions that Wentz isn't or can't be as good as Dak is silly to me.

LOL will this EVER end. They don't have awful talent. Keep making excuses though, it's fun to laugh.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
i mean idk dak has been pretty amazing. i too think hes better than Wentz.

at the end of the day u arent gona win a battle for wentz on this board. daks play for one and second we are cowboy fans.

try an eagles board...
Do you think any Eagle fan is hyping Dak? I've said for years Cowboy fans have the most cowardly fans and this Wentz thing proves it correct.

windjc

Reaction score
Do you think any Eagle fan is hyping Dak? I've said for years Cowboy fans have the most cowardly fans and this Wentz thing proves it correct.
I recently found the forum on dallascowboys.com. The level of negativity towards the team and its players is much less there. Was very refreshing actually.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Wentz had a better 40 time and a better 3 cone time. It's not a stretch to say Wentz might be faster or a better athlete.

They're actually very comparable. If those are the numbers people are using, you might as well just say they're basically the same guy.

Give me Dak though because he looks jacked.

And who saw the Packers game? That 4th Quarter should put to rest any comparison. Wentz couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. It was ugly.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score

There's very little difference in those numbers.
It's not a stretch to say it, no. But in-game, there's clearly very little difference between the two in that regard, and if anything, Prescott has shown better running ability. You can't watch the two play and say Wentz is definitely more athletic than Prescott, and that kind of declaration is the one being challenged here. I guess you can look at 40 times and say one guy is more athletic than another (lol), but we should all know it doesn't work like that.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Pretty much everyone saying Wentz is better or more athletic or has more tools is just reading pre-draft measurables and profiles. And some of the things mentioned in scouting reports may still apply, but read pre-draft stuff on Prescott and tell me how much of that you see.

"Beat up this year thanks to poor protection. When he wasn't being sacked, he was being hit hard. Not as competitive a rusher in 2015. Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll. Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers. Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation."

I mean, as far as I'm concerned, he's done an incredible job fixing pretty much all of those things. In the next paragraph, they questioned his POISE. If there's one glaringly strong aspect of Prescott's game right now, his poise might be it. Or his pocket presence and awareness, which was also questioned. I'm not seeing those weaknesses this year, and I'm sure part of it is the great talent around him, but even in the face of pressure he steps up and delivers throws. And poise is poise no matter who's around you; he's not lacking there.