Revisting the Wentz vs Dak debate

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Wentz can make throws that Prescott can not (or has yet to show)

Wentz has more athletic ability

Wentz is a more accurate thrower (before you point out completion %, is Kirk cousins more accurate than Romo?)

Serious: Do you watch Wentz? I don't miss a throw of his. He is definitely not more accurate than Dak. Wentz sails a ton of throws and misses receivers all the time. I know his WRs suck, but even when they're open, he misses them too often.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Both are excellent young QBs. We joke a lot about Wentz but he appears to be a good one. Fortunately we were able to find our guy in the 4th. Philly and our Boys are set up nicely for the next decade, while NYG will soon be in QB Siberia looking for Eli's replacement.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
You know who else was bigger, faster, and had a stronger arm than Dak when each of them came out of school?

Blaine Gabbert.

What happened during the draft, or pre-draft, means nothing now. Literally nothing.

RG3 was bigger, faster, and had a stronger arm than Russ Wilson. Good head on his shoulders, too. Even without injuries, and even if they switch teams, is there anyone on earth who thinks RG3 would be just as successful as Wilson? So is/was RG3 more talented, but just less successful?

Wentz just played a GB defense that was being eaten alive by every single team that saw them. He played terribly. There's no denying that. Cite the lack of talent around him all you want and I'll agree. But he also has trouble finding them. And when he does, he tends to overthrow them.

You can tell how risk-adverse he is. He's so reluctant to make a mistake (not trusting that big arm) that he ends up taking ill-advised shots that end up as TOs. It's a double-edged sword he hasn't quite figured out yet.

Realistically, it's almost impossible to truly compare them right now (though I appreciate the discussion). But one has to really jump thru hoops and cherry pick to say Wentz has been clearly better, or that he would be just as good as Prescott in our offense. There's no evidence, whatsoever, to support that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Better mechanics? I beg to differ. Wentz has a slower release and comes out high often.
Dak is a better decision maker. Wentz is too risk-adverse at times, and then tries to make up for it and ends up making a mistake. I'm sure having studs around Dak helps, but his decision making is unreal.

Dak is just playing football.

Wentz is still in the spin phase we typically see from rookies.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
People who say "Wentz can make every throw and is more accurate" are simply reading pre-draft scouting reports. I have to believe that. Because someone can't be watching both of them and still maintain that opinion. The "can make every throw" statement is based on his arm strength. And his arm is, in fact, stronger than Prescott's - no debate. But right now, Wentz isn't making every throw. He's been tentative and, as a result, ends up forcing throws that aren't there (after he bypassing throws all game that had a better chance). His accuracy has been FAR from pin-point, and his mechanics have gotten out-of-whack (the two are obviously related). He has a lot of talent, and he'll likely learn and improve.

Even without wide open WRs, Prescott has been more accurate with his throws. I cannot believe someone has watched every game from both of them and comes away with something different.

I think taking Miss. St. to #1 actually hurt Prescott's draft stock. Many assumed that there must've been a ton of top-talent on the team for them to make it. There legit wasn't. Prescott was doing it with very little on offense.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dak still made plays for his wr's even when Dez was out for 3 games. Sometimes qb's make the wr's better than they are. Brady is an example of making wr's look much better in the Patriot system. Dak has shown he is getting better and better reading defenses and finding the best matchups to place the ball. Maybe Wentz isn't fiinding the best spots on the field to get his wr's the ball or understanding the defense for such.

Subtract Bryant and the Cowboys WRs are still better than anything the Eagles will trot out.

I think people are being completely shortsighted on Wentz.

Now having said that, I've seen a lot of Wentz. To say he's more athletic than Dak is a bizarre comment. He looks to have a bigger, stronger arm but one thing I have noticed is that he's not been very accurate on deeper balls. He's finally pushing the ball more down the field but even in that GB game, he had some balls that were clearly overthrown or thrown behind WRs.

So I am not sure if that's just a rookie thing or that it's going to be an issue that plagues him going forward.

Madzo

The Gunshow
Reaction score
Based on just about everything.

Wentz is bigger, faster, better arm, and better mechanics.

There's a reason most had Wentz graded as a first round pick and dak as a mid-round pick.
Are you saying Wentz>Brady as well? Cuz we all know Brady is slow as **** and never had the strongest arm.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
Is this still a debate? For 2016 it's over. Dak wins. For 2017 and beyond? We'll see. Wentz has the stronger arm but so far Dak wins in just about every other category. If this is Dak's peak level and he never improves he'll be a really good quarterback for a number of years. If Wentz doesn't improve he'll be the second coming of Sam Bradford.

There is one big difference between the two quarterbacks that doesn't really affect the quality of play but I notice it all the time. Everything Dak does is really smooth. His throwing motion ... he running ... everything looks very, very smooth. Everything Wentz does is so awkward looking. His seems to throw and run with a hitch in everything he does. He always reminds me of a lanky teenager who's body grew faster than his coordination.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Wear did I say Wentz>>Dak because he's more talented? I'll wait...

You realize there's more to talent than physical measurables, right? Decision making is a talent. Reading defenses is a talent. Being a quick learner is a talent. Accuracy is a talent. Saying Wentz is more talented because he's bigger and (maybe) faster with a stronger arm isn't telling the whole story on talent.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Subtract Bryant and the Cowboys WRs are still better than anything the Eagles will trot out.

I think people are being completely shortsighted on Wentz.

Now having said that, I've seen a lot of Wentz. To say he's more athletic than Dak is a bizarre comment. He looks to have a bigger, stronger arm but one thing I have noticed is that he's not been very accurate on deeper balls. He's finally pushing the ball more down the field but even in that GB game, he had some balls that were clearly overthrown or thrown behind WRs.

So I am not sure if that's just a rookie thing or that it's going to be an issue that plagues him going forward.

Beasley is having his best year because of Dak. Talent is finding the targets and getting the ball to them any way possible. Dak has shown he can make every throw, even under pressure. Yes he misses some deep throws under pressure, and sometimes misreads wr's routes, doesn't see them downfield. . It's jiust as much as the qb finding the wr's than the wr's getting open. Wentz has problems (from others I've read here) on that aspect. So I guess you too are being shortsighted on Wentz in that area and what Dak has done to make the easy play for his wr's.

John813

Reaction score
Think there was a reason why Wentz wasn't the clear cut favorite for the starting role off the bat. But once he went 3-0, Bradford traded, media/fan hype, he was destined to start the rest of the year.

It's unfair for any player to be graded off a 11 game sample. Some peak early, some need a year, and some just don't pan out at all.

This year, Dak is worlds better. And it may stay that way for a decade +. But, as I've seen throughout the league at multiple positions, you can't always accurately determine how a player will pan out after one year. However, the future definitely looks bright for the Cowboys.

wrongway

Reaction score
You're missing the point man. So far, in actual NFL action, Dak has proven to be better in every aspect of the game. He has been more accurate, SHOWN infinitely more athleticism, and his passes average far longer than Wentz's.

The Wentz gym short measurables and could-be's are completely irrelevant now that both players have started, in actual league action, for almost a season now.
Bingo

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
You realize there's more to talent than physical measurables, right? Decision making is a talent. Reading defenses is a talent. Being a quick learner is a talent. Accuracy is a talent. Saying Wentz is more talented because he's bigger and (maybe) faster with a stronger arm isn't telling the whole story on talent.
Wentz can do those things as well. But yea let's continue to pretend we havent seen Dak make bad decisions and have problems with accuracy :huh:

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Do you think Wentz is more talented than Brady? Because the metrics you're using to define "talent" Size, arm strength etc. Also apply when you compare Wentz to Brady.
Quit the strawman arguments please. We are comparing two rookies that came in the same draft class.

For the last time, just because one has more talent than another doesnt mean they are better. :facepalm: