Rewatched Game

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that maybe all this hand wringing about what is wrong with the team ignores one major point.

Denver is just better, period. They have better players, they have better schemes, they have better coaching, and the have a better front office/gm.

Maybe there is really nothing drastically wrong with this team, it's just not that good compared to other teams like Denver.

There were better vs a banged up secondary missing Scandrick and 2 cb's who left in the 2nd quarter.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Isn't Denver something like 20-1 at home in September since 2000?

They are better and the Cowboys are not as good as last year, period.

mardwin

Reaction score
It is already Thursday and we still talking about something that happened last Sunday. Let's move on guys and hope this team shows up in Arizona.

odog422

Reaction score
Or how about selling out for the run instead of abandoning it? Dictating to a defense instead of letting them dictate to you.

Why do they pay so much for those linemen?

Why draft a running back at #4 overall?

Why carry four tight ends?

Why carry four running backs?

Why carry a fullback at all?
THANK YOU! Thought I was watching Garrett redux 2... No one can refute the logic of your post.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I encourage everyone to take a look at this link to the play by play for this game:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017091710/2017/REG2/cowboys@broncos#menu=gameinfo|contentId:0ap3000000847079&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

Take note of how many times you see the words "Prescott" and "pass". Not just when the score was out of hand, but from the very beginning.

This team's offensive playcalling played as big of a role in the rout as anything else.

There were problems all over the place and plenty of directions to point the finger, but playing right into your opponent's hands will get you beat every single time.
Preach it, brother Stash.

:hammer:x 100,000!

cml750

Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that maybe all this hand wringing about what is wrong with the team ignores one major point.

Denver is just better, period. They have better players, they have better schemes, they have better coaching, and the have a better front office/gm.

Maybe there is really nothing drastically wrong with this team, it's just not that good compared to other teams like Denver.
Rewatching that game is kinda like rekicking the same object that you just stubbed your toe on. Ouch!!!!!

Reaction score
Denver is utterly dominant in weeks 1 and 2 of NFL seasons at home. I don't know if it has to do with the altitude and adjusting to it early in the season, but they have a 90+% win rate at home the first two weeks of the season.

They had a gameplan to sell out to stuff the run and make us beat them through the air or find a way to run against 8 and 9 man fronts. We gave up on the run early and the passing game didn't get it done against man coverage. Defensively we got pushed around their first drive, but then buckled down and did alright for a while, but then between injuries to the DBs and our offense not sustaining drives at all the defense just got worn down and eventually overrun.

It's not the end of the world. It's entirely possible we could beat that same Denver team playing on a neutral field.

Time to play the next game on the schedule.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Denver is utterly dominant in weeks 1 and 2 of NFL seasons at home. I don't know if it has to do with the altitude and adjusting to it early in the season, but they have a 90+% win rate at home the first two weeks of the season.

They had a gameplan to sell out to stuff the run and make us beat them through the air or find a way to run against 8 and 9 man fronts. We gave up on the run early and the passing game didn't get it done against man coverage. Defensively we got pushed around their first drive, but then buckled down and did alright for a while, but then between injuries to the DBs and our offense not sustaining drives at all the defense just got worn down and eventually overrun.

It's not the end of the world. It's entirely possible we could beat that same Denver team playing on a neutral field.

Time to play the next game on the schedule.

1bae09fb2ecdd32e63311526238fb66456ffd699a857396004d37ccf0098303a.jpg

waving monkey

Reaction score

Gulp, that's what I've been thinking? But geeze that much better?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing he said in that post is untrue

This is:

"It's entirely possible we could beat that same Denver team playing on a neutral field."

The Cowboys were outplayed in all facets of the game. It wasn't even as close as that final score would indicate. So yeah, some fan claiming that this team could beat that team on any field is untrue.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is:

"It's entirely possible we could beat that same Denver team playing on a neutral field."

The Cowboys were outplayed in all facets of the game. It wasn't even as close as that final score would indicate. So yeah, some fan claiming that this team could beat that team on any field is untrue.

Stash you have been watching football for many many years now, so the fact that you would make a blanket statement like this is surprising. I will attribute it to you being emotional about the loss. Every year in history you can point to a superior team slipping up and getting smacked by an inferior team. Just off top of my head I think back to 2014 when we got destroyed by the Eagles after that Thanksgiving game, same year the Patriots got throttled by the Chiefs on the road and had ppl saying Brady should retire. It happens man. Bounce back and keep it moving.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stash you have been watching football for many many years now, so the fact that you would make a blanket statement like this is surprising. I will attribute it to you being emotional about the loss. Every year in history you can point to a superior team slipping up and getting smacked by an inferior team. Just off top of my head I think back to 2014 when we got destroyed by the Eagles after that Thanksgiving game, same year the Patriots got throttled by the Chiefs on the road and had ppl saying Brady should retire. It happens man. Bounce back and keep it moving.

The "blanket statement" came from this false claim:

It's entirely possible we could beat that same Denver team playing on a neutral field."

There's no basis for it, and absolutely no support for it.

If anyone is getting "emotional", it's the homers who can't deal with the fact that the Cowboys got destroyed on Sunday. Unlike them, I can deal with it, and acknowledge it. And realize that this team has a lot of issues to correct if they hope to compete with the better teams in the league this year.

So don't try to project anything otherwise. If anyone has a problem with this, it's those that can't accept what happened.

You can try to minimize it as "it happens" all you want, but this wasn't simply "a loss" like some want to try to make it. This was a rout. Total domination. The Cowboys could do nothing right on Sunday.

And now, the onus is on them to bounce back and show on Monday night that's not who they truly are. But it's not on me or anyone else to now try to downplay what actually happened.

And not to read about other fans trying to sugarcoat it.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The "blanket statement" came from this false claim:

It's entirely possible we could beat that same Denver team playing on a neutral field."

There's no basis for it, and absolutely no support for it.

If anyone is getting "emotional", it's the homers who can't deal with the fact that the Cowboys got destroyed on Sunday. Unlike them, I can deal with it, and acknowledge it. And realize that this team has a lot of issues to correct if they hope to compete with the better teams in the league this year.

So don't try to project anything otherwise. If anyone has a problem with this, it's those that can't accept what happened.

You can try to minimize it as "it happens" all you want, but this wasn't simply "a loss" like some want to try to make it. This was a rout. Total domination. The Cowboys could do nothing right on Sunday.

And now, the onus is on them to bounce back and show on Monday night that's not who they truly are. But it's not on me or anyone else to now try to downplay what actually happened.

And not to read about other fans trying to sugarcoat it.

AGAIN just because we got dominated on Sunday, like what historically happens to a good team every year doesn't mean there is no support to saying we could beat them on a neutral field. They have lost 1 game at home in September since 2000 so what makes us any different than Brady led patriots and any of the other qbs that have fell victim to that Mile High altitude? I'm sorry I didn't realize getting blown out versus losing by 1 point counts as anything more than 1 loss? They both are losses period. But continue to overreact as you are apt to do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AGAIN just because we got dominated on Sunday, like what historically happens to a good team every year doesn't mean there is no support to saying we could beat them on a neutral field.

Uh, yeah, that's exactly what it says. Wishful thinking can say "we'd win by 20 points!" Doesn't make it so in the least. People can make all the nonsense "we'll get 'em next time!" claims that they want. It's still nonsense. What did happens is fact, not what fans wish would happen.

They have lost 1 game at home in September since 2000 so what makes us any different than Brady led patriots and any of the other qbs that have fell victim to that Mile High altitude? I'm sorry I didn't realize getting blown out versus losing by 1 point counts as anything more than 1 loss? They both are losses period. But continue to overreact as you are apt to do.

Continue to undereact "as you are apt to do" as well. People can cover their own eyes to what happened if they're incapable of handling the truth. Just don't try to cover anyone else's. That wasn't "a loss", that was total domination.

People need to deal with it.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Uh, yeah, that's exactly what it says. Wishful thinking can say "we'd win by 20 points!" Doesn't make it so in the least. People can make all the nonsense "we'll get 'em next time!" claims that they want. It's still nonsense. What did happens is fact, not what fans wish would happen.

Continue to undereact "as you are apt to do" as well. People can cover their own eyes to what happened if they're incapable of handling the truth. Just don't try to cover anyone else's. That wasn't "a loss", that was total domination.

People need to deal with it.

Lol so because a team beats you in the season you can't beat them again in the playoffs? I guess somebody forgot to tell Aaron Rodgers he was supposed to lay over for us in the playoffs since we had beaten them already. Again a loss is a loss, we lost its fine. Everybody loses from time to time. Just have your hat ready since the sky is falling in your opinion.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol so because a team beats you in the season you can't beat them again in the playoffs?

It sure as hell doesn't somehow mean you can. No matter what some fans might try to tell themselves in an effort to feel better.

I guess somebody forgot to tell Aaron Rodgers he was supposed to lay over for us in the playoffs since we had beaten them already.

Let me know when we have Aaron Rodgers. Then you'll have a point.

Again a loss is a loss, we lost its fine. Everybody loses from time to time.

This wasn't "a loss". But you keep trying to sugarcoat it and tell yourself that. This was a beatdown. This was a rout. This was getting your lunch money stolen and being able to do nothing about it. This was one team doing anything and everything they wanted, and the other being able to do nothing. Deal with it.

Just have your hat ready since the sky is falling in your opinion.

And I hope your arms don't get too tired.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Lol so because a team beats you in the season you can't beat them again in the playoffs? I guess somebody forgot to tell Aaron Rodgers he was supposed to lay over for us in the playoffs since we had beaten them already. Again a loss is a loss, we lost its fine. Everybody loses from time to time. Just have your hat ready since the sky is falling in your opinion.
The person you quoted is just super emotional because we got beat badly. Pay them no mind. Maybe they should stick to "drama" class since that seems to be their area of expertise not football.