Recommended Rewatched the First Half - Defensive Edition

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't care if Dixon had the RB as a responsibility, there's no coach anywhere that would not let him hear about that lack of recognition in the film room. No way that CB who hadn't even practiced was 100% on an island. He was supposed to have support.
That was ghastly.

Bluestang

Reaction score
I don't care if Dixon had the RB as a responsibility, there's no coach anywhere that would not let him hear about that lack of recognition in the film room. No way that CB who hadn't even practiced was 100% on an island. He was supposed to have support.
That was ghastly.

The support comes from the the FS who is in the deep middle (#33) because they are in a cover 3. This is the single most important reason why FS need to be able to run sideline to sideline and are supposed to have elite coverage skills. It's why Earl Thomas is a great safety.

Dixon's responsibility is curl/flat and at post-snap he is rolling forward to that area. There are four underneath zones by the 2 LBs and the SS (Dixon) and the nickel corner.

The corner shouldn't even be lined up in press technique with the markers being 10+ yds.

Henderson probably told the kid to line up press no matter what the call was, so they could look at his technique on tape.

I'm pretty sure the coaches are yelling at #33 more than #36 in the film room.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Did Marinelli tell our front seven to not sack the QB, to stay blocked on run plays, and to miss tackles as well?

Come on. Yes, we played our basic stuff. So did San Diego. No team game plans for the preseason.

They also don't want their players to fail at the fundamentals.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Did Marinelli tell our front seven to not sack the QB, to stay blocked on run plays, and to miss tackles as well?

Come on. Yes, we played our basic stuff. So did San Diego. No team game plans for the preseason.

They also don't want their players to fail at the fundamentals.

and THAT is where most of them looked bad

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
It looks like Dallas was in Cover 3. Everyone is in zone except for Lindsey who was playing man. Lindsey gets beat and gives up the TD.

Here's the Gfycat of the play so you can slow it down and go frame by frame.

LoneTemptingGaur.gif

Anyone blaming Dixon on this play has no idea what they're watching.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
and THAT is where most of them looked bad

That is just the simple beginning and end of this worthless game.

It is best forgotten and hope that there is improvement on the fundamentals, shedding blocks, recognition and tackling.

It certainly should not be assumed as some sort of showcase for Garrett and Marinelli playing psychological games and challenging a bunch of no-talents by putting them in various no-win scenarios.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
That was ghastly.

Dixon was ok.......Could have been in better position on the RB...but it was Ryan Smith who was supposed to be over the top. And in all fairness....I hate the single high safety look just for that reason. I don't see how they expect a guy to run 40 yrds to get over the top and help on a go route like that....when they are disguising in a cover 2 look. The ball is in the air maybe 2-3 seconds tops. I know when I was playing QB I would salivate when teams lined up w/ the single safety look. It's like playing 11 on 10. All a QB has to do is look off the FS to one side and the entire back side is wide open vs man to man coverage. That FS has to cover too much space to be effective IMO.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Dixon was ok.......Could have been in better position on the RB...but it was Ryan Smith who was supposed to be over the top. And in all fairness....I hate the single high safety look just for that reason. I don't see how they expect a guy to run 40 yrds to get over the top and help on a go route like that....when they are disguising in a cover 2 look. The ball is in the air maybe 2-3 seconds tops. I know when I was playing QB I would salivate when teams lined up w/ the single safety look. It's like playing 11 on 10. All a QB has to do is look off the FS to one side and the entire back side is wide open vs man to man coverage. That FS has to cover too much space to be effective IMO.
Single high isn't very effective with a 4.7/40 safety. The lack of speed in the secondary is brutal

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rewatching this clip, I have to disagree with Fuzzy a little bit on this play. Dixon is eyeing the running back coming out into the flat. That was his responsibility while he still tried to shade help to the corner. Someone who has actually practiced at corner with this team would know that they have no help over the top and play deep. I don't fault Dixon for this one at all.

Looks like Dixon was coming up to cover the RB out of the backfield.

yup......Cover 2 disguised then shifted into man up w/ single safety over the top. Dixon had RB responsibilty

The LB #53 was there to cover the RB.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Rewatching this clip, I have to disagree with Fuzzy a little bit on this play. Dixon is eyeing the running back coming out into the flat. That was his responsibility while he still tried to shade help to the corner. Someone who has actually practiced at corner with this team would know that they have no help over the top and play deep. I don't fault Dixon for this one at all.

I see what you're seeing. This play could be interpreted in different ways. Only the coaches know for sure- if they know for sure...

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
In the
The LB #53 was there to cover the RB.

It really looks like quarter zone under. 8 is breaking into a crossing route which should be the lb zone. Dixon immediately is coming forward pre snap and mimicking the rb . the FS immediately backs into single high.

Playing press coverage and not pressing is interesting. Any jam gives the fs more time. You can tell Dixon recognizes Lindsey getting beat a mm d tries to pull back, but he (and lbs) start the play by showing the quarters which I assume absolved him from responsibility.

Also, its hard to imagine garret lauding praise with no exception if this play was aggregious as some think.

Side note - beautiful play design

Reactions: BAT