rex ryan - info?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
this is name that is just starting to surface among fans, so no idea where it's coming from, but it sure is a "history" filled name. just wanted to start some convo on the man, good or bad, and hear thoughts and stories about why he would be a good choice, or why he'd not be. i don't know much except he always excels at defense in baltimore and that his name is coming up a lot more.

thoughts on rex ryan?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;1303236 said:
this is name that is just starting to surface among fans, so no idea where it's coming from, but it sure is a "history" filled name. just wanted to start some convo on the man, good or bad, and hear thoughts and stories about why he would be a good choice, or why he'd not be. i don't know much except he always excels at defense in baltimore and that his name is coming up a lot more.

thoughts on rex ryan?

Son of Buddy....one of two actually.

One is the DC of the Raiders and from what little I have heard he might get the nod to Replace Art Shell. As bad the raiders were record wise and offensive wise their defense actually seems to have been pretty good.

Rex is the DC of the Ravens.
Of course most know the ravens have been pretty good.

I don't follow them enough to know much beyond that or if it is just a carry over from the number of good players they have on defense.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1303270 said:

One is the DC of the Raiders and from what little I have heard he might get the nod to Replace Art Shell. As bad the raiders were record wise and offensive wise their defense actually seems to have been pretty good.

I don't follow them enough to know much beyond that or if it is just a carry over from the number of good players they have on defense.

me either. i'm just trying to break free from the "IT WAS A CATCH!!!" and other stimulating conversations and get some real info on the guy. :)

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;1303274 said:
me either. i'm just trying to break free from the "IT WAS A CATCH!!!" and other stimulating conversations and get some real info on the guy. :)

Yes that stuff is getting old.

Sad thing is, as old as it gets during the season, it (whether it be the same topic or new ones) will get worse in the offseason now.

DipChit

Reaction score
Heres what Scouts Inc. has to say about him.. by the way they rate him as the top assitant prospect.. Rivera is 2nd..

Rex Ryan
Defensive coordinator, Baltimore

Ryan without a doubt is the best defensive coordinator in the NFL. Every defense he has touched has turned to gold. Ryan is an aggressive coach who always keeps offenses off balance with his unique personnel groupings and multiple blitz-pressure packages. He has outstanding communication skills, relates well to players and is very approachable. Ryan has proved he has good player evaluation skills by identifying physically athletic players who best fit his aggressive schemes. On top of that, he understands how to develop team chemistry, which is so critical in building organizational team concepts in the NFL.

hendog

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1303270 said:

I don't follow them enough to know much beyond that or if it is just a carry over from the number of good players they have on defense.[/QUOTE]

Not sure about this part either. But if you watch them play D they are always in position and smother the ball. He obviously does a good job of putting his players in a position to succeed. We don't.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1303280 said:
Yes that stuff is getting old.

Sad thing is, as old as it gets during the season, it (whether it be the same topic or new ones) will get worse in the offseason now.

yea, the dominate conversations are only going to get more dominate and we'll have less "good" ones sprinkled in. we're now in the dark part of the season.

i'm gonna need a hug here soon.

hendog

Reaction score
DipChit;1303284 said:
Heres what Scouts Inc. has to say about him.. by the way they rate him as the top assitant prospect.. Rivera is 2nd..

Rex Ryan

Ryan without a doubt is the best defensive coordinator in the NFL. Every defense he has touched has turned to gold. Ryan is an aggressive coach who always keeps offenses off balance with his unique personnel groupings and multiple blitz-pressure packages. He has outstanding communication skills, relates well to players and is very approachable. Ryan has proved he has good player evaluation skills by identifying physically athletic players who best fit his aggressive schemes. On top of that, he understands how to develop team chemistry, which is so critical in building organizational team concepts in the NFL.

That's good enogh. I'll take 2.:D

mbanx

Reaction score
DipChit;1303284 said:

Rex Ryan

I'm sold

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
DipChit;1303284 said:

Rex Ryan

IMO this is what we need... I thought that when we got BP that he was going to be fiery and make our people better. Hes acquired some great talent but we need to move on... I hate that after every single year we have this waiting period to see if he will grace us with his presence another year. This has grown old on me and Im sure with alot of you too. Im ready for some stability, someone that can come up with different schemes and make our team better.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
so far, i like what i'm seeing. i'm sure some "knocks" are coming, but we all have our warts, someone once told me. : ) if he's 'next in line' i'd like to see us at least bring him in should parcells leave shortly.

mbanx

Reaction score
Is the 4-3 Baltimores defense now? I know they have tried the 3-4 and even the 46, I wonder what rex ryans specialty is.

hendog

Reaction score
I believe they run the 4-3. Which we have the personell for, save for 1 passrusher.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1303313 said:
too bad we can't both keep BP as head, and bring in Ryan to coach the D

if we did that for a year while parcells finished his contract, i could at least see that as gearing for a longer haul - something important to me.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Can you imagine what Buddy Ryan's reaction would be to his son taking over the helm at Dallas?

First he would drop dead of a coronary, then shortly thereafter roll over in his grave...

I like the idea... :D

DipChit

Reaction score
But the part I'm concerned about is this:

Ryan has proved he has good player evaluation skills by identifying physically athletic players who best fit his aggressive schemes.
-----------------------------------------

Because recently we heard from a diff scout (not sure if he has any association with Scouts Inc.) is that he didn't think guys like Canty and Spears were getting done what you're DE's need to get done and that our LB's as a group arent as phyically talented as other groups that use a 3-4.

Guess that means you could expect the unit to be better but perhaps without some personnel changes, dont expect miracles. ;)

hendog

Reaction score
Something else to consider with Ryan. I'm sure if he leaves to be a HC then he will want to bring Adalius Thomas with him. And he's just what we need.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
hendog;1303318 said:
Something else to consider with Ryan. I'm sure if he leaves to be a HC then he will want to bring Adalius Thomas with him. And he's just what we need.

hey - bring in a "ryan's guy"!!! : )