rex ryan - info?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
hendog;1303314 said:
I believe they run the 4-3. Which we have the personell for, save for 1 passrusher.

but he's coached in the 3-4, and unlike in Baltimore and Ray Lewis, we have big LBs who don't mind playing in the middle in it

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;1303315 said:
if we did that for a year while parcells finished his contract, i could at least see that as gearing for a longer haul - something important to me.

it would be easier if BP took a GM role w/ us and we bring in Rex

hendog

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a mix of the 3-4 and 4-3. Just keep opposing offences guessing as long as we're bringing pressure.

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
hendog;1303314 said:
I believe they run the 4-3. Which we have the personell for, save for 1 passrusher.

We have Greg Ellis who would jump at the chance to get back in the 4-3. I know he has had surgery and if he doesnt come back 100 % then I think we have a play maker in Hatcher... The guy doesnt give up at all... We also have Glymph who is fast, I know he may not be an every down player but look at what Mathis has done the past two years for Indy. We have the people and the the talent, they just need to be used the right way.

mbanx

Reaction score
I have ADHD and really have not seen anything in these posts except the word AGGRESIVE in some way referring to defense to I am all for it. :)

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
mbanx;1303341 said:
I have ADHD and really have not seen anything in these posts except the word AGGRESIVE in some way referring to defense to I am all for it. :)

people tell me i have attention defecit disorder, but why is it *my* fault they're not very entertaining?

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
mbanx;1303341 said:

Exactly...Im tired of us being the whipping boys for mediocre offenses. Either BP bullied the other coaches on this team and made them back down or he did it to the players... They dont play with intensity when they need to and that has been the Bio on this team since Jimmy left. Give me someone who can fire this team up. Someone who can scold them when their wrong and someone who can praise them when their good. Someone who we know will be back year after year, Someone who god forbid after the season that we dont win a SB , can come in and get the ship fixed and start shopping.... :bang2:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rex Ryan as HC, offer the OC job to Neuheisel. Next year we'll still be playing right now, and playing well:)

acruther

Reaction score
hendog;1303314 said:

I won't pretend to be an expert on the Baltimore Ravens, but their website depth chart shows their base defense as the 3-4. I do remember Ray Lewis as not psyched about the move because his body takes more punishment in the 3-4.

http://baltimoreravens.com/team/depthChart.jsp

Here's Ryan's full bio from the team website:

Rex Ryan
Ryan_Rex.jpg

Job TitleDefensive CoordinatorYear Joined Ravens1999 Coaching Experience20Years In NFL10CollegeSW Oklahoma StateHometownArdmore, OKD.O.B.Dec 13, 1962

Rex Ryan entered his 8th year with the Ravens in 2006, his 2nd as the defensive coordinator...Ryan is the only remaining Ravens' assistant coach from the 2000 Super Bowl XXXV season's superb defense...Rex had spent 6 seasons as the Ravens' highly-successful defensive line coach, and owns a distinctive NFL bloodline when it comes to coaching defenses...The Ryan family is a who's who trifecta that has coached in 6 Super Bowls with 5 different NFL teams*...Rex's father is the legendary Buddy Ryan; his twin brother is Rob Ryan, the defensive coordinator for the Oakland Raiders.

OVERVIEW: Replaced Mike Nolan as the defensive coordinator in 2005 (Nolan went to the 49ers as head coach)...Under Rex Ryan's tutelage, the Ravens' defense has improved steadily since 1999, when Ryan joined the team, and Baltimore finished 2nd in the NFL in overall defense and 2nd against the rush...Baltimore's defense did not permit a 100-yard rusher in 50-straight games, including the playoffs (from Game 16 in '98 to Game 14 in '01)...On their way to Super Bowl XXXV, Rex coached an impressive veteran lineup: DEs Michael McCrary, Rob Burnett, and DTs Tony Siragusa and Sam Adams, who enjoyed their best years under Ryan...Launched pro career in 1994 with the Arizona Cardinals as the DL coach under his father, Buddy...Rex returned to college ranks before coming to the Baltimore Ravens.
1999-2005: (with Baltimore) 2005: The Ravens' defense again stood out, finishing 2nd in the AFC and 5th in the NFL and allowing just 284.7 yards per contest (see box, next page)...Seven-time Pro Bowler Ray Lewis (thigh surgery) missed 10 games after starting the 1st 6...Lewis was on pace for a 205-tackle season prior to his injury after posting 77 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT, 3 PD and 1 FR...Pro Bowl S Ed Reed missed 6 games (ankle)...Against the rush, Baltimore ranked 6th in the AFC and 9th in the NFL...LB Bart Scott started the 1st 10 games of his career, finishing 2nd on the team with 119 tackles and 4 sacks...LB Tommy Polley led the Ravens with a career-high 134 tackles in his 1st season with the team...Despite being double and sometimes triple teamed, "T-Sizzle" (Terrell Suggs) posted a career-high 82 tackles, finished 2nd on the team with 8 sacks and tied a career-high with 6 FFs..."A.D." (Adalius Thomas) set a new career high with 9 sacks and set a franchise record with 3 defensive returns for TDs...Adalius was voted team MVP by Baltimore media...LB Peter Boulware remained the Ravens' sack king, reaching 70 for his career and hitting the 500-tackle milestone...LB Roderick Green played in 16 games, subbing on defense (posting 2 sacks), but finished 2nd in special teams tackles (17)...Baltimore allowed the 4th-fewest 1st downs in the AFC (17.7 per game)...Ravens defense allowed just 284.7 yards per contest, and the best effort came against the Jets (10/2), giving up only 152 yards on 48 attempts...Opponents' starting RBs were held to under 100 yards 12 times and under 65 yards 8 times...Ravens defense finished 3rd in the AFC in 3rd-down efficiency allowing opponents to convert on just 36.1% of their opportunities...Baltimore allowed 4.56 yards per play, closing the year behind the Steelers (4.55), ranking 2nd in the AFC and 3rd in the NFL...Against the pass, Baltimore ranked 4th in the AFC and 8th in the NFL...The 5.63 yards allowed per pass play was tops in the AFC and 2nd in the NFL...Missing from the lineup for a total of 11 games were starting safeties Reed (ankle), who, in 58 career games, posted franchise records of 22 INTs and 680 INT return yards and Will Demps (knee)...CB Chris McAlister led the team with 20 PD, missing 2 games (hamstring and shoulder)...CBs Samari Rolle finished 2nd on the team with 14 PD, while Deion Sanders tied for the team lead with 2 INTs...S Chad Williams recorded career highs with 47 tackles and 2.5 sacks. 2004: Baltimore's defense allowed the 6th-fewest points in the NFL and ranked 6th in defense (total yards)...Was 1st in the AFC and 2nd in the NFL with 3.6 yards allowed per rush...Defensively, the Ravens scored 7 TDs (5 INTs and 2 FRs), including 1 by DE Jarret Johnson, who scored the 1st TD of his career vs. Miami (1/2/05)...Marques Douglas ranked 3rd on the team with 92 tackles, plus 5.5 sacks, 2 PD and 1 FF...Kelly Gregg (1.5 sacks, 2 PD, 1 FF, 1 FR) tied with Reed for 4th on the team with 89 tackles...Suggs produced 10.5 sacks and earned his 1st Pro Bowl...Anthony Weaver recorded 61 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 INT (1st of his career in Game 16), 5 PD and 1 FR...Ravens "D" was 1st in the AFC and 2nd in the NFL in opponent QB rating (68.0), and 1st in the NFL in the number of 3-and-outs (59 - NFL average was 43). 2003: Ravens defense was among the NFL's best, finishing 3rd (4th vs. rush and 6th vs. pass)...Led the NFL in sacks (47) and tied for 1st in the AFC and 2nd in the NFL with 41 take-aways...Ravens ranked 1st in the AFC with 17 FR...Allowed the fewest yards per play (4.2) and the 4th-fewest passing yards (175.3 per game) in the NFL...Suggs had a Ravens' rookie-record 12 sacks as a 3rd-down DE and earned NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year honors...Gregg had the most tackles (104) in the NFL for a defensive lineman. 2002: Defense held opponents to AFC-best 3.7 yards per carry...Linemen averaged 2 years of experience and 24 years of age...Then-rookie DE Tony Weaver proved to be a new fixture on the line (65 tackles, 3.5 sacks)..."A.D." logged 68 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 FR and 2 INTs, including 1 for a TD...Despite being double-and-triple-teamed, sometime-DE Peter Boulware was voted to the Pro Bowl as LB (his 3rd) and produced a team-high 7 sacks. 2001: Finished 2nd in the NFL in defense, 4th against the run...Defense finished in the NFL's top 4 in several important categories, including 1st in total yards allowed per play (4.4), 2nd in total yards allowed per game (277.9), and 3rd in rushing average allowed per play (3.4)...Was 4th in the NFL in fewest points allowed with 265...Record-setting defense did not permit a 100-yard rusher in 50 straight games, including the playoffs. 2000: Finished 1st against the run, 2nd in the NFL in defense...Set a 16-game NFL record by allowing only 970 yards rushing and 2.68 yards per rushing attempt...Defense gave up the fewest points (165) in NFL history in a 16-game season...Ravens won Super Bowl XXXV with an impressive lineup: DEs Michael McCrary, Rob Burnett, DTs Tony Siragusa and Sam Adams. 1999: Joined Brian Billick's staff...Ravens were 2nd in the NFL in overall defense, 2nd against the rush.
1998: (with Oklahoma) Named defensive coordinator...Defense ranked 6th in the nation in total defense.
1996-97: (with U. of Cincinnati) Spent 2 seasons as defensive coordinator. 1997: Team finished 8-4...Defense ranked 5th vs. the rush and 13th in overall defense in the nation...Held opponents to 930 rushing yards. 1996: Team posted a 6-5 record.
1994-95: (with Arizona Cardinals) Spent 2 seasons coaching under his father, then-head coach Buddy Ryan. 1995: In 2nd season, he coached the LBs. 1994: Rex coached the DL...Cardinals ranked in the NFL's top 5 in every major defensive statistical category, including 3rd in overall defense.
1990-93: (with Morehead State) Named defensive coordinator.
1989: (with New Mexico Highlands) Assistant head coach and defensive coordinator.
1987-88: (with Eastern Kentucky) Launched collegiate coaching career as DE coach.
PERSONAL: Played at Southwestern Oklahoma State...Earned both a bachelor of science and master's degree (1988) in physical education from Eastern Kentucky...Attended Stevenson (Prairie View, IL) HS...Ryan is on the Maryland Special Olympics honorary board of directors...Participated in Maryland State Police's Polar Bear Plunge last January (?06)...Rex and wife Michelle have 2 sons: Payton (14) and Seth (12)...The Ryans live in Ellicott City, MD.
COACHING BACKGROUND: 1987-88 (Eastern Kentucky); 1989 (New Mexico Highlands); 1990-93 (Morehead State); 1994-95 (Arizona Cardinals); 1996-97 (University of Cincinnati); 1998 (Oklahoma); 1999-2006 (Baltimore Ravens)
*Ryan Family's 6 Super Bowls: Buddy: 1968 (NY Jets), 1976 (Vikings), 1985 (Bears); Rex: 2000 (Ravens); Rob: 2001, 2003 (Patriots)

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
acruther;1303408 said:
I won't pretend to be an expert on the Baltimore Ravens, but their website depth chart shows their base defense as the 3-4. I do remember Ray Lewis as not psyched about the move because his body takes more punishment in the 3-4.

I was thinking they ran the 3-4 at one time but was having trouble at the NT position...during that time Ray was complaining because they did not have anyone to shed blockers for him.

So they switched to the 4-3 for some time, but I thought they planned on moving back to the 3-4 which was the reason they drafted that big DT/NT out of oregon...Ngata in the first round of last years draft.

From there I don't know if they did finally switch back or not, as I said earlier I have not got a chance to see them this year.

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1303414 said:
I was thinking they ran the 3-4 at one time but was having trouble at the NT position...during that time Ray was complaining because they did not have anyone to shed blockers for him.

So they switched to the 4-3 for some time, but I thought they planned on moving back to the 3-4 which was the reason they drafted that big DT/NT out of oregon...Ngata in the first round of last years draft.

From there I don't know if they did finally switch back or not, as I said earlier I have not got a chance to see them this year.

I also thought they ran the 4-3. Hmmm maybe someone will chime in on this matter... Either way a good defensive coach has served us well one time in the past that I know of.

alancdc

Reaction score
iceberg;1303274 said:
me either. i'm just trying to break free from the "IT WAS A CATCH!!!" and other stimulating conversations and get some real info on the guy. :)

Actually, their D played great this year, and they are pertty young especially in the secondary. Can't believe it hut Warren Sapp had like 10 sacks from NT. I think we need a guy like Sapp on our D that is as emotional and "fun"! He had a greeeeat year!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
alancdc;1303417 said:
Actually, their D played great this year, and they are pertty young especially in the secondary. Can't believe it hut Warren Sapp had like 10 sacks from NT. I think we need a guy like Sapp on our D that is as emotional and "fun"! He had a greeeeat year!

Although We were talking about both Ryans, to an exent, in this thread, I think his main one he wanted to know about was the one that was the Ravens DC, not the brother that was the DC for Sapp.

Either way I guess both have done a good job.

DipChit

Reaction score
One thing that really helped the Ravens this year was bringing in Trevor Pryce. He's one of their DE's now.. had 13 sacks. Ngata is the other and Gregg is the NT.

Not sure why Denver fell out of favor with him.. well wait they got Ekuban and Micheal Meyers these days.. Course they also just canned their D-co-ordinator too.... so yeah.

trentmonster

Reaction score
trickblue;1303316 said:
Can you imagine what Buddy Ryan's reaction would be to his son taking over the helm at Dallas?

First he would drop dead of a coronary, then shortly thereafter roll over in his grave...

I like the idea... :D

(true story) I work in a little town right outside of Louisville, Ky. Buddy Ryan lives about 15 minutes from where I work. One night a friend and I were having beers in the bar at a local steakhouse when in walks Buddy Ryan.

We were sitting about 20 feet from the main bar area and there was a group of about 4 or 5 people sitting at the bar watching NFL highlights from the day. Buddy walks right up behind them to get a better look at the games and even starts making some comments about the action on the TV. It was great because you could just tell that the guys at the bar didn't have a clue who he was and appeared to be giving him some insight into what he was watching!

Anyway, my friend wasn't convinced that it was Buddy Ryan but I KNEW it was, so I followed him out the door (he was just getting carryout) and caught up to him right outside. I stopped him and in this nervous, geeky little voice said "excuse me, but are you Buddy Ryan?" He smiled and said "yes sir, I am."

At this point, I'm at a loss for words and the best I can come up with is "well sir, I'm a big Cowboys fan but I just wanted to tell you that it is an honor to meet you." And well, he didn't take a swing or anything. He shook my hand and talked to me for at least 15 minutes (almost all about his sons). Very nice guy.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
trentmonster;1303662 said:
(true story) I work in a little town right outside of Louisville, Ky. Buddy Ryan lives about 15 minutes from where I work. One night a friend and I were having beers in the bar at a local steakhouse when in walks Buddy Ryan.

We were sitting about 20 feet from the main bar area and there was a group of about 4 or 5 people sitting at the bar watching NFL highlights from the day. Buddy walks right up behind them to get a better look at the games and even starts making some comments about the action on the TV. It was great because you could just tell that the guys at the bar didn't have a clue who he was and appeared to be giving him some insight into what he was watching!

Anyway, my friend wasn't convinced that it was Buddy Ryan but I KNEW it was, so I followed him out the door (he was just getting carryout) and caught up to him right outside. I stopped him and in this nervous, geeky little voice said "excuse me, but are you Buddy Ryan?" He smiled and said "yes sir, I am."

At this point, I'm at a loss for words and the best I can come up with is "well sir, I'm a big Cowboys fan but I just wanted to tell you that it is an honor to meet you." And well, he didn't take a swing or anything. He shook my hand and talked to me for at least 15 minutes (almost all about his sons). Very nice guy.

buddy ryan was a damn good coach. it was his job to hate us. : ) i'd love to see us go after his son rex for *at least* our D job now.

cnhnyy

Reaction score
I am sold. Bring him in. If his twin brother wants to be our DC/assitant HC, that's fine too.

acruther

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1303414 said:

Again, follow these links. Look at their depth chart. 3-4.

http://baltimoreravens.com/team/depthChart.jsp

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/BAL

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Could someone post the Scouts Inc report on Ron Riveria?.

DipChit

Reaction score
Heres 2-10.

Ron Rivera
Defensive coordinator, Chicago

A former NFL player, Rivera understands his players' situations very well, is an excellent communicator and relates to the modern player. The Bears' defense has been among the very best in the league for the past couple of years and Rivera deserves much of the credit for that success. Chicago's defenders play smart, rarely make mental errors and understand their assignments and fits very well. "Tampa 2" defensive coaches are all the rage right now and Rivera understands the scheme as well as anyone. Rivera's name was tossed around for available head-coaching jobs last year and his momentum should only gain steam after another outstanding season.

3. Ken Whisenhunt
Offensive coordinator, Pittsburgh

Whisenhunt is an up-and-comer who has been instrumental in the development of QB Ben Roethlisberger. Although Whisenhunt looked like a genius a year ago, his offense -- and Roethlisberger -- were not the same in 2006. That isn't necessarily a blemish on Whisenhunt, as he is innovative and very intelligent. He is a fine communicator and a fearless play-caller. The Raiders wanted him as their head coach before they hired Art Shell and Whisenhunt wisely decided to stay with Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh, where he could become the successor.

4. Russ Grimm
Assistant head coach/offensive line, Pittsburgh

Grimm is respected by coaches and players alike because he is a tough, no-nonsense straight shooter who coaches like he played back in his days as one of the top "Hogs" in Washington. He has a great understanding of offensive line play, keeps things simple and is a fine communicator. Cowher promoted Grimm to assistant head coach this past year as a testament to his abilities. Grimm went to the University of Pittsburgh, is from the area and would be a fine candidate to succeed Cowher for the head job of the Steelers.

5. Cam Cameron
Offensive coordinator, San Diego

San Diego has the best running back and tight end on the planet, but this outstanding offense has as much to do with Cameron as the exceptional talent base. Cameron has been instrumental in the development of QB Philip Rivers and the transition to Rivers from Drew Brees, which was seamless. The Chargers may have the most-balanced offense in the league and Cameron is exceptional at keeping this group unpredictable. San Diego is an extremely difficult team to prepare for and Cameron is a huge reason why.

6. Clancy Pendergast
Defensive coordinator, Arizona

Pendergast is an up-and-coming coach who is very innovative in his game plans and designs on a weekly basis. He is an aggressive play-caller who doesn't allow the offense to dictate tempo. He understands the strengths and weaknesses of his defensive personnel and places them in the best positions to make plays. He has very good people skills, relates well to his players and is an outstanding teacher of the game.

7. Mike Tomlin
Defensive coordinator, Minnesota

In his first year in Minnesota, Tomlin seamlessly instituted a new defensive scheme (Tampa 2) with fine results. This is the scheme in vogue across the NFL right now and this bright young coordinator has quickly made a name for himself. He utilized the talent that was there for him extremely well. Minnesota's defense was extraordinary against the run, generated turnovers with regularity and made a lot of big plays. The Vikings' defense will only get better in his second season as coordinator and Tomlin's star is only getting brighter.

8. Jim Schwartz
Defensive coordinator, Tennessee

Schwartz has learned under two of the best head coaches in the NFL in Bill Belichick and Jeff Fisher. He is very detail-oriented and well-organized in his game preparation. He loves to pressure with multiple blitz packages and places a lot of pressure on opposing quarterbacks. He relates well to players and has an outstanding work ethic. He is a very smart coach who has a good understanding of the salary cap as it relates to team-building in the NFL.

9. Rob Ryan
Defensive coordinator, Oakland

Ryan has done an unbelievable job in getting his players to buy into his system. He has learned under Belichick, not to mention his father, Buddy Ryan, one of the best defensive minds in NFL history. Ryan relates extremely well to players and is an outstanding teacher of the game. He has a passion for evaluating and developing players who best fit his system. Without question, both Rob and his twin brother Rex (Baltimore) were born and groomed to become head coaches in the NFL as legacies of the founding father of the 46 defense.

10. Josh McDaniels
Offensive coordinator, New England

McDaniels is another young coach who is on the fast track to becoming a head coach. Belichick has a tremendous amount of respect for McDaniels' ability to keep defenses off balance with his play-calling. He is a smart, instinctive coach who has a great understanding of the Patriots' system in drafting and developing players. McDaniels is an outstanding evaluator of talent. He has done a great job with QB Tom Brady and is very similar to Jets head coach Eric Mangini in building team chemistry as it relates best to organizational concepts.