News: Rex Ryan suggests Stafford should go to Dallas

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don't what to say.......I honestly don't (lol)

Rex Ryan suggests Matthew Stafford should go to Dallas
ByCLINT BUCKLEY 18 hours ago

https://247sports.com/Article/Matth...s-with-Detroit-Lions-Georgia-159854647/?fbcli

It was reported Saturday that the Detroit Lions and franchise quarterback Matthew Stafford are expected to part ways this offseason. Detroit will reportedly begin entertaining trade offers for the quarterback.

During ESPN’s Postseason NFL Countdown on Sunday, former coach and current analyst Rex Ryan was asked where he thought Stafford would end up in 2021. And Ryan’s prediction, if it were to come true, would send shockwaves throughout the league.

Ryan suggested that Stafford returning to his home state would make a lot of sense.

“Well I actually don’t believe this, but let’s hypothetically say the Cowboys blow it with Dak Prescott,” Ryan said. “This would be an amazing spot for him. You go back to your high school days, he returns home, he won a state championship at Highland Park right there in Texas. I think it would be a phenomenal spot. He’d be reunited with Kellen Moore, a former teammate. And look, if he goes there they would be the favorites to win the NFC East. I promise you they would be.”
They guy who can't coach? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He's a much better passer and his athleticism is on par. More skilled at what he does and can make throws that Dak could only dream of.

My concern with Stafford going forward would be durability though.
athleticism isnt even close and dak is a better passer in pretty much every category. where do you come up with this? is it "tHe EyE tEsT"

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think that the key qualifier shouldn't be overlooked:

"Say the Cowboys blow it with Dak Prescott"

He even couched his statement by saying "I actually don't believe this". So it's clearly just spitballing. And from that what-if perspective? Sure, I could see that, if somehow the Dak deal didn't get worked out. But it will.
agree most scenarios are if the deal falls through and Dak holds out to force trade etc ie wont sign FT unless traded and plays hardball..

i say if this happens sure Strafford is an option i say go hard after Rogers..if we make change lets make it a big splash..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You are impressed with wins and touchdowns and are impressed with Stafford?

Yes I like Stafford at the right price.

If he costs a lot then no thanks because he's a proven non-difference maker like Dak and I don't want to pay for those types just so we can be mediocre. I'd rather be terrible and in a position to draft Trevor Lawrence types then be mediocre and relevant only.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

If he costs a lot then no thanks because he's a proven non-difference maker like Dak and I don't want to pay for those types just so we can be mediocre. I'd rather be terrible and in a position to draft Trevor Lawrence types then be mediocre and relevant only.
Lol stafford is making $30m a year.

dckid

Reaction score
So your answer is to spend money on Stafford instead? Look, I won’t argue with anyone that says they need to get a guy on a rookie deal with a high ceiling. I’d disagree but that’s a formidable opinion. But if you are telling me we should overpay for Stafford and Dalton who are inferior quarterbacks? That’s gonna get lost on me.
That is not what I am saying, as a matter of fact I stated so in another post. But if the Cowboys trade for him they would just have to pay his normal base salary which is 12.5 million, they dont have to worry about any signing bonus which the Lions paid at the time of signing.
I would trade for Stafford with the understanding that I am not going to redo the contract unless he performs. I would rather have Stafford at his cost vs Dak at 40 per year.
I am also open to signing Jameis... another distressed asset. Don't be dumb and just sign Dak.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Stafford is a way better option than what we have here

Id love this. Just dont know how much it will cost

cern

Reaction score
every team, every gm, and every hc have in common their greatest nightmare. and that is to blow it when it comes to dealing for their qb of the future. the reasons are obvious as brady and mahomey prepare for the super bowl. and even the losers, rodgers and allen aren't exactly slouches. while detroit wants to move on from stafford, they will consider his value highly. and they will deal accordingly. it's going to cost someone a lot to acquire his services. but no doubt they begin with a #1 pick and a couple of other high round picks as well. what he's truly worth will be more about perception and less about ability at this point in his career. keep in mind one of the ?newest trends in the nfl is that gm's (bean counters) are dropping as quickly as hc's in today's nfl. accountability is at al all time high. who wants to take the risk?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That is not what I am saying, as a matter of fact I stated so in another post. But if the Cowboys trade for him they would just have to pay his normal base salary which is 12.5 million, they dont have to worry about any signing bonus which the Lions paid at the time of signing.
I would trade for Stafford with the understanding that I am not going to redo the contract unless he performs. I would rather have Stafford at his cost vs Dak at 40 per year.
I am also open to signing Jameis... another distressed asset. Don't be dumb and just sign Dak.

Well first off you wouldn't have Dak at 40 million per year....the deal wouldn't be constructed to where he'd have 40 million out of the cap each year. And his first year would be significantly less than 40 million.

I don't think its dumb to sign Dak. I actually think its smart to retain a guy who's 27 and one of the better quarterbacks in the league. The dumb part is downgrading at quarterback all because you want to pay Jaylon, Lawrence, Collins and Cooper what they are getting. You guys suggest saving money but for what? So we can continue to overpay our own free agents? Yeah....I'm over that. If signing Dak leads us to letting guys like Crawford walk....or Jaylon or Zeke....then quite frankly I'm not in fear of it. Sorry.

cern

Reaction score
I think Indianapolis is a pretty solid option, especially if - as many believe - the Eagles want to make things work with Carson Wentz. The Colts have a pretty good team to surround any future quarterback they acquire.
they also have fresh memories of phillip rivers ,

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Sucking so you can get a quarterback....like I said I understand the thought. The issue I'm having is suggesting inferior quarterbacks like Winston and Stafford are options....

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Would you make that trade? Stafford is getting up there in years. Dak is relatively young in QB years.

Would you then use a first rounder in a QB that may amount to the next hall of Famer or bust? That’s an option, but frankly I would rather have Dak.

If you don’t thank Dak is all that and a bag of chips, Stafford would be a nice bridge to your next guy.

My thinking was IF for some reason we don't have Dak's long-term deal done BEFORE THE DRAFT, I'd have no problem trading for Stafford. But I was responding to another poster who suggested a Stafford for Dak ( Dak on the tag ) straight up would not be enough. Between free agency and the end of the draft, most, if not all team would have settled their QB issues. IF Dak is still tagged, our drop-dead deadline would be July 15 to sign him or wait until after the season. We know that means the 3rd tag at $55M, which would officially put us in the Vikes/Cousins zip code. In other words, he's a goner WITHOUT us getting a damn thing in compensation.

visionary

Reaction score
If Stafford wants to win he would be crazy to go to an AFC team

the NFC is wide open IMO

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I don't what to say.......I honestly don't (lol)

Rex Ryan suggests Matthew Stafford should go to Dallas
ByCLINT BUCKLEY 18 hours ago

https://247sports.com/Article/Matth...s-with-Detroit-Lions-Georgia-159854647/?fbcli

It was reported Saturday that the Detroit Lions and franchise quarterback Matthew Stafford are expected to part ways this offseason. Detroit will reportedly begin entertaining trade offers for the quarterback.

During ESPN’s Postseason NFL Countdown on Sunday, former coach and current analyst Rex Ryan was asked where he thought Stafford would end up in 2021. And Ryan’s prediction, if it were to come true, would send shockwaves throughout the league.

Ryan suggested that Stafford returning to his home state would make a lot of sense.

“Well I actually don’t believe this, but let’s hypothetically say the Cowboys blow it with Dak Prescott,” Ryan said. “This would be an amazing spot for him. You go back to your high school days, he returns home, he won a state championship at Highland Park right there in Texas. I think it would be a phenomenal spot. He’d be reunited with Kellen Moore, a former teammate. And look, if he goes there they would be the favorites to win the NFC East. I promise you they would be.”
I get tired of all the spin stories.

Dak is staying put.

He is on track for a raise in pay to $38 mil according to the second Tag coming as minimum.

Why would he not play that out and prove he is recovered and then do a bigger long term deal in 2022?

Dak is in the catbird seat and just needs to get well and put us back as contenders. This team wants Dak.

Only reporters wanting attention are raising these sort of disinformation.

There has never been any indication Dak has spoken to any team but Dallas.

Non news.

cern

Reaction score
Well first off you wouldn't have Dak at 40 million per year....the deal wouldn't be constructed to where he'd have 40 million out of the cap each year. And his first year would be significantly less than 40 million.

I don't think its dumb to sign Dak. I actually think its smart to retain a guy who's 27 and one of the better quarterbacks in the league. The dumb part is downgrading at quarterback all because you want to pay Jaylon, Lawrence, Collins and Cooper what they are getting. You guys suggest saving money but for what? So we can continue to overpay our own free agents? Yeah....I'm over that. If signing Dak leads us to letting guys like Crawford walk....or Jaylon or Zeke....then quite frankly I'm not in fear of it. Sorry.
some good points, to be sure. crawford's done here, imo. zeke and cooper are safe for this season and then can be released without cap hell. cooper at least earns his money. i have no idea what happened with zeke. i get the feeling he just can't get enough of himself and quit trying hard, thinking he'd be as good as ever without the effort. the coaches might try sitting his rear on the bench for a while and see if he's man enough to take it. at any rate, looks like we'll have to suck it up this year. best case scenario, they sign dak to a deal where they can then manipulate the cap.