Richard - I think he's why we don't draft safeties

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Just for context, Heath led all safeties in missed tackles against the run in 2018. Think about that for a minute. That means that he missed a tackle on 21.6 percent of his attempts.

Having a strong safety who is a liability against the run is a significant problem. This defense might just be one stud SS away from being a top 3 defense.

kskboys

Reaction score
If they're giving Richards all this power. Is he staying? Or if Garrett fails he is the next HC? Giving a position coach this much power without locking him up long term has me concerned
Who says he has all this power? Seems like pure fan conjecture to me.

Oopsiii!!!! Already said this!!!!

Next

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
There were 14 teams with less sacks and more INTs than us. It's NOT all about pressure. Miami for example had double the INTs (18) and 8 less sacks.

If anything this front office has overvalued the sack in favor of turnovers. This idea that pressure is the sole source of INTs is a pure myth.
It IS all about pressure. Because pressure is the only way to mess up the rhythm of good QB's. Try to beat Brady w/ coverage and he'll laugh at you as he drives down the field.

I've never seen anyone say pressure is the sole source of INT's. Where'd you get that from?

ondaedg

Reaction score
It IS all about pressure. Because pressure is the only way to mess up the rhythm of good QB's. Try to beat Brady w/ coverage and he'll laugh at you as he drives down the field.

I've never seen anyone say pressure is the sole source of INT's. Where'd you get that from?

No, it's not actually. First we don't play Tom Brady 17 times per year. Second, we had 9 INTs. Let me repeat that...9. Third the facts speak for themselves. 14 teams with less sacks had more INTs than we did. We are producing pressure with no takeaways to show for it.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, it's not actually. First we don't play Tom Brady 17 times per year. Second, we had 9 INTs. Let me repeat that...9. Third the facts speak for themselves. 14 teams with less sacks had more INTs than we did. We are producing pressure with no takeaways to show for it.
Yes, it is, actually. You won't consistently beat NFL QB's w/o pressuring them. History speaks loud.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Yes, it is, actually. You won't consistently beat NFL QB's w/o pressuring them. History speaks loud.

Pressure is good yes. But I just gave concrete evidence that shows teams can produce turnovers with less sacks. Facts are facts. I will repeat: Miami had 8 less sacks and had 2x more INTs than we did (18!). 14 teams had less sacks and more INTs. Those are facts. Pesky facts.

kskboys

Reaction score
Pressure is good yes. But I just gave concrete evidence that shows teams can produce turnovers with less sacks. Facts are facts. I will repeat: Miami had 8 less sacks and had 2x more INTs than we did (18!). 14 teams had less sacks and more INTs. Those are facts. Pesky facts.
No one's arguing that. Your pesky facts seem to be irrelevant!!!!!

Pressure is needed for playoff success.

Rayman70

Reaction score
never have understood the failed thinking of NOT spending higher draft choices on safety when its been 20 years and counting. Richard may be just towing the company line. Time will tell.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We didn't draft safeties before. Excluding drafting Jones who was a better cb than safety.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
never have understood the failed thinking of NOT spending higher draft choices on safety when its been 20 years and counting. Richard may be just towing the company line. Time will tell.

We spent a 1st on Byron. He didn't work out at FS. Before that, Roy, at not quite 20 years.

IN the 10s, spent a 3rd on Wilcox and a 4th on Matt Johnson. 6th on Frazier. 6th on Woods.

We actually did the best with UDFAs Church and Heath.

Hardline

Reaction score
We once drafted Roy Williams at #8 in the hopes he would be the next Ronnie Lott, but he never lived up to that draft status. Since then, we have gone cheap at the position hoping to get lucky.
I think Roy Williams was done in when he married that chick in Destiny's Child

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Richard has been with the team for 2 years. To put that into perspective, Jeff Heath is in his 7th season with Dallas.

Dallas just hasn't placed a lot of value on that position for the last decade. Beyond that, the idea that Richard wouldn't value safeties just doesn't make sense. Prior to Dallas, Kris' only NFL experience was on a team where he had a great safety duo. Literally, he got the job in Dallas solely because of how well a secondary that included Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor played.

Dallas not investing in the safety position isn't new.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
We once drafted Roy Williams at #8 in the hopes he would be the next Ronnie Lott, but he never lived up to that draft status. Since then, we have gone cheap at the position hoping to get lucky.

I would say Ken Hamlin is a greater contributor to Dallas' lack of interest. For about 3 or 4 years, Roy Williams was damn good. Had he been drafted 10 years earlier, he may have been the next Ronnie Lott. The NFL changed and coverage became a priority. Roy had limited coverage skills and when he added weight he became damn near useless. Couldn't cover and was too slow to even get into a position to help with the running game. Had the occasional big hit, but he was a weekly liability.

Ken Hamlin had 1 solid year and Jerry paid him a lot. Since then, the team hasn't really committed anything to the position. Byron Jones had played safety, but he was a CB for his junior and senior years. Hardly an investment in the safety position.

CB61

Reaction score
I know Donovan Wilson is Young but he needs more playing time how much worse can he be than Darian Thompson? Now they stuck him in one game this year and you got burned but you can't expect the guy to come in with a seconds notice and respond he needs to get some playing time here and there oh, I think he has the ability to be our starting safety but of course we've seen so little of him it's hard to know