Richard - I think he's why we don't draft safeties

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
If they're giving Richards all this power. Is he staying? Or if Garrett fails he is the next HC? Giving a position coach this much power without locking him up long term has me concerned

eromeopolk

Reaction score
You know it's funny, I've been around this board for a long time. I've seen this team go from scheme to scheme. I remember when the entire board wanted to draft Roy Williams, and while I really liked Roy (even though he played for OU), I never wanted to draft him. I just believed that the NFL was changing and that his game was not long for the road. Suffice to say that I was standing on a island, pretty much by myself, in those days.

Be that as it may, it was not so long ago that we didn't believe in this idea of single high, pressure coverage with the Corners and creating push to make the QB get rid of the ball. For a long time, we believed in playing interchangeable Safeties. I never really liked that much but that's what we did for a long time. We've only really changed that recently. Used to be that we didn't play that style. Used to be that way played a more traditional Box Safety and a Single high or Free Safety over the top. That's what we did When Coach Landry was our HC. I personally always liked that style way more then the idea of playing interchangeable Safeties. Always kinda hated that scheme to be honest. It's true that you need a really good athlete to play Free but hey, go find one.
Yes we are going back to the past with the 4-3 D. Jimmy Johnson played similar as it was not a true cover 2 4/3 D. The only deference is that the front 4 ran the flex with Landry and attack/penetrate with Jimmy. The back end coverage was virtually the same.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Roy Williams hurt TO (Eagles) using his horse collar tackle, it seemed to change his game. I remember thinking he was just never the same player. Maybe because he gained weight (doubtful), maybe because the NFL changed the rules, removing some of the violence in tackling. Maybe it was the loss of having a great supporting safety playing along side. Who knows, but that is when his game dropped off.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I like Richard's philosophy for the secondary. SS in the box, CBs playing press and underneath, FS protecting all over the top.

This strategy calls for and *allows* bigger, stronger, longer, but maybe not so fast, at all DB positions but FS. That's also *cheaper* at all positions but FS.

If an Earl Thomas comes along for FS, we might try for him. We did, in fact. But I doubt any of the safeties at 58 and beyond were supposed to be Earl.

Looking at the guys we took, I see size and *long arms*, and guys we didn't have to spend premium picks on.
CB - Mike Jackson - 6-1 32 1/2
SS - Donovan Wilson - 6-0 33 3/8
CB - Mike Westry - 6-4 33 3/4

Everything is going exactly as planned. Teams thinking we were going to pick a safety high served our interests.

But not taking strong safeties or CBs early is a feature and benefit of a Richard secondary. Get used to it.

EDIT: I would change the title to "Richard - Not picking SSs or CBs early is a feature, not a bug"

Richards came here last year. We ignored that position way before that.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Richards came here last year. We ignored that position way before that.

Roy, Sensabaugh, Hamill, Byron.

But my point was not that Richard constituted a break in the resources we put into safety, but his scheme leads one to spend less because he's looking for different types of players than most teams are. Supply and demand.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think safety position was in play but they choose to go with help along the DL with Hill at DT tackle. I can promise you had Dallas selected Safety just as many people would be hollering as they have recently about Dallas not addressing the DT spot. I figured Dallas would go safety or DT in this draft and in the end had a choice between 2 guys they liked and took Hill.
Since the need was great at both positions, I was fine either way.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I don't Richard is the reason.....this FO didn't do much with the safety positions long before he came to Dallas......not to mention that he saw what having studs at the position did in Seattle.

kskboys

Reaction score
If they're giving Richards all this power. Is he staying? Or if Garrett fails he is the next HC? Giving a position coach this much power without locking him up long term has me concerned
I don't see that they've given him all this power. That seems to be more fan conjecture.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Roy, Sensabaugh, Hamill, Byron.

But my point was not that Richard constituted a break in the resources we put into safety, but his scheme leads one to spend less because he's looking for different types of players than most teams are. Supply and demand.

Maybe richards is also the reason we dont value safety this year. But he wasnt the last years. And THAT was your point.

And i do think too that the game is won in the trenches.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Since the need was great at both positions, I was fine either way.

Exactly. I had no problem had Dallas went with safety and there were a few I liked and still on the board, by the same token I knew DT was an area that needed to be addressed and the selection of Hill a guy they liked a lot was still on the board and took him. In the end an area that needed help got it. As for safety I would still like to address it but if Heath ends up starting I really do not see him as that great of a liability that would prevent them from challenging for a title.

kskboys

Reaction score
Exactly. I had no problem had Dallas went with safety and there were a few I liked and still on the board, by the same token I knew DT was an area that needed to be addressed and the selection of Hill a guy they liked a lot was still on the board and took him. In the end an area that needed help got it. As for safety I would still like to address it but if Heath ends up starting I really do not see him as that great of a liability that would prevent them from challenging for a title.
The most important aspect to stopping good QB's is inside pressure. Hill was the most explosive DT in this draft. Now, there are question marks, and maybe he won't work out, but if he does, we've gone a long way toward playoff success.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The most important aspect to stopping good QB's is inside pressure. Hill was the most explosive DT in this draft. Now, there are question marks, and maybe he won't work out, but if he does, we've gone a long way toward playoff success.

True that is the case with every selection. You hope the organization did their homework on Hill and he lives up to the teams expectations.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Richard reportedly wanted Hill.

He knows very well that good DBs mean nothing without pressure up front.

There were 14 teams with less sacks and more INTs than us. It's NOT all about pressure. Miami for example had double the INTs (18) and 8 less sacks.

If anything this front office has overvalued the sack in favor of turnovers. This idea that pressure is the sole source of INTs is a pure myth.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Richard obviously feels he has his guys.

He must feel his guys have enough to run his schemes.

Why should we keep thinking it's a need.?

It isn't.

If they weren't just blowing smoke about picking a S in the 2nd, Richard wanted more. Didn't get it.

"Need" isn't the issue. In the box SS really is the low hanging fruit for improving the team. It's a role that should be a half time starter, like a true 1tech.

Pick the low hanging fruit.