Rickey To Be Welcomed Back, Serve 4 Game Suspension

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
[font=arial,] Dolphins owner Oks Ricky’s return[/font]
[font=arial,]Among those angriest about Ricky Williams' sudden retirement last summer was Wayne Huizenga In today’s Miami Herald, Huizenga says he’s Ok with Williams returning to play for the Dolphins.[/font]

[font=arial,]"If he can demonstrate that he's really serious about coming back ... he's got to prove it," Huizenga said. "The only way you can do that is to come back, start working out, work every day, work hard. ... If he does that, I think it would be great."

[/font]​
[font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font]
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,]He also added that Williams will have to serve a four-game suspension for violating the NFL drug policy. Williams -- who needs to significantly bulk up his 195-pound frame is reportedly moving from California to South Florida shortly and will begin working out on his own. He will not be permitted to work out with the Dolphins until late July.[/font][/font][/font]

doomsday_II

Reaction score
Hostile said:
[font=arial,] Dolphins owner Oks Ricky’s return[/font]
[font=arial,]Among those angriest about Ricky Williams' sudden retirement last summer was Wayne Huizenga In today’s Miami Herald, Huizenga says he’s Ok with Williams returning to play for the Dolphins.[/font]

[font=arial,]"If he can demonstrate that he's really serious about coming back ... he's got to prove it," Huizenga said. "The only way you can do that is to come back, start working out, work every day, work hard. ... If he does that, I think it would be great."

[/font]​
[font=arial,] [font=arial,] [/font][/font]
[font=arial,][font=arial,][font=arial,]He also added that Williams will have to serve a four-game suspension for violating the NFL drug policy. Williams -- who needs to significantly bulk up his 195-pound frame is reportedly moving from California to South Florida shortly and will begin working out on his own. He will not be permitted to work out with the Dolphins until late July.[/font][/font][/font]

I guess that California kind bud is expensive. Anyhows, Ricky has destroyed team chemistry in two teams, assuming he makes a full football recovery, wonder who the third team will be?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
doomsday_II said:
I guess that California kind bud is expensive. Anyhows, Ricky has destroyed team chemistry in two teams, assuming he makes a full football recovery, wonder who the third team will be?
My money will be on the Raiders.

Sifillest

Reaction score
why gamble on him when they have lamont?dolphins need him more anyway
change of pace would be good for ronnie brown,who isnt used to carrying full load alone anyway

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He'll be forgiven by the fans when he scores his first touchdown in overtime.

But I think he'll be a social pariah with the team, and somehow I think he will like that.

Oakland for a third or fourth round pick next year.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Big mistake by the Dolphins unless they have a trade partner in mind already. They certainly don't need him, neither for his ability on the field, which should be in serious question at the moment with his weight so low, nor for his "contribution" in the lockerroom.

I believe this also sends a very bad message for the NFL as a whole in that players can violate their contracts anytime they want, take their bonus money, and run off. Then when they want more money, they simply come back and because they have talent some team will let it happen.

Rickey is a completely self-absorbed individual who will NOT help a team and is coming back for one reason and one reason only, money. As soon as he has what he wants he is out of there again. The guy has a serious problem with drugs and is not going to simply give that up just so he can play football again. On the contrary, he is agreeing to play football again so that he can support his drug habit.

Bad move all around.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'd normally agree, but I think they really like LaMont Jordan. It's really not a good fit.

If I had to pick a team out of the hat that needs a RB, I'd say Browns would be a good fit.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Talent talks bullshat walks. He would probably get another shot even if he screws up this time. It is the same reason Tyson still get fights, if he was a scrub he will be out of sight and out of mind, see Kareem Larimoore.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Raidershave 50/50 shot.
Commanders have 50/50 shot.

I like Ricky. May he get at least 20 mil form whichever team he leaves in a lurch next.

Trophy#6

Reaction score
Ah, glass houses, glass houses.. Not a person that hasn't needed a few second chances in their lifetime. Some people act like football players are nothing but show dogs in a ring. Wake-up call, as much of a Monday Morning Quarterback one may be, you still didn't live your life under the critical magnifyglass of society since you were barely bolsting pubes. So what, he took a few years off for himself, god-forbid, he must be a waste then.

He took time off of playing a "game" to get "high"........a GAME! Didn't stop being a brain surgeon, didn't skip his flight to Mars,...instead took time off from playing a Game, period. There is a line of thinking that would suggest he did the mature thing here. Bottom-line he took time away from the playground to self-evaluate himself.

At the end of the day Football is nothing more then a game for grown-men to extend their youth. Which there is a degree of disturbance about that in itself. How many 30 year olds in the real world do you see jumping up and down like they're on steriods, grabbing each other's shoulders and bashing their heads together? God, I hope not alot. On the contrary though, a very high percentage of people you know, whether you know they do it or not, get high and function in the real world everyday, just fine.

I applaud Ricky for being his own man and leaving the circus for awhile for himself. Not everybody needs a yearly multi-million dollar contract to be happy, believe it or not.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Raidershave 50/50 shot.
Commanders have 50/50 shot.

I like Ricky. May he get at least 20 mil form whichever team he leaves in a lurch next.
Between you and Sarge my wife's in trouble. 20 Million from the Skins would be hilarious.

I doubt it due to Portis though. A team who could be a surprise player is Minnesota.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amazing what losing an $8.6 million law suit will do for motivation :)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Players likely to take wait-and-see approach

DAVIE, Fla. -- His once-and-future teammates aren't yet ready to roll out the red carpet for Ricky Williams. But with the return of the erstwhile running back to the NFL now taken for granted around here, neither are Dolphins players sprinting to lock the front door to team's complex.

s4653.jpg

[size=-2]Williams[/size]

When he arrives here -- and it appears his return to South Florida, at least as a resident, is imminent -- Williams figures to be greeted by a collective wait-and-see attitude from the teammates he abruptly abandoned last summer.

It isn't as if Dolphins veterans can't wait for Williams to come back. That said, there are some who want to see how much, if any, he has changed. Call it a natural curiosity. Call it, too, a situation over which they have no control for now. Because no matter their personal feelings, Williams is probably just about six weeks removed from being back among them.

"This is America, man, and everybody gets a second chance," said defensive end Jason Taylor between mini-camp practices on Saturday afternoon. "You can't keep a guy nailed to a cross forever."

Queried as to whether he and other team leaders will accept Williams back in the locker room, Taylor suggested that the welcome the running back receives in training camp will essentially be determined by the commitment he demonstrates to the game and the team. One of the most vocal critics when Williams walked away from the Dolphins just before the beginning of camp in 2004, Taylor was even less committal when pressed on whether he would want him back if he was Miami's general manager.

"The one thing that isn't going to change," Taylor said, "is that Ricky has to show that he is committed. That's the case for everyone in our locker room. If you're in that room, and wearing our uniform, you better want to be a part of what we're trying to do here."

Those sentiments were echoed by several Miami players, most of whom were around last season when the Dolphins struggled mightily after Williams' departure. The two players who were critical of Williams opted not to speak for attribution.

Whether or not Miami players agreed with Williams' action last summer -- or, more accurately, his inaction -- there is already a palpable sense of curiosity about how he will carry himself on and off the field once his second NFL incarnation commences. Williams has spoken far more with the media in the last month, and with first-year coach Nick Saban, than he has communicated with Dolphins players.

One player noted on Saturday that, while Williams won't quite be viewed as if he is the new kid in the classroom, there will still be plenty of eyes on him.

"He's going to have to understand that, even when guys aren't watching him, guys will be watching him," said one veteran. "Everything he does is going to be magnified. It might not be fair, I don't know, but people are going to read things into everything that he says and does. That's just the way it's going to be. I mean, it's not business as usual, not after what happened [last year]."

According to his representatives, Williams will soon re-enter the NFL's substance abuse program, which means he will have to agree to random testing. How the Dolphins will deal with the $8.6 million judgment the team won against Williams, basically because he breached his contract, is unknown.

Said linebacker Zach Thomas, summing things up succinctly: "When it happens, and Ricky is actually here instead of people just talking about it, then you deal with it."

The one thing that seems certain is that the Dolphins are about as certain as anyone can be, at least in matters regarding Williams, that he is coming back after a year's hiatus. On Friday, the first day of mini-camp, quarterback Gus Frerotte referred to having an offense designed in part to take advantage of the matchups Williams can create.

Saban said on Saturday afternoon he still can't say unequivocally that Williams is coming back. But the Dolphins coach, who has spoken at length with Williams and agent Leigh Steinberg, sounded like he expects Williams to be in camp. And for his players to handle the situation professionally.

"I'll say what I said to [the local media] the other day," said Saban. "If he does come back, as an organization, we're going to support Ricky Williams as best we can."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2083018

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Reality said:

Especially when you consider this .... from the Miami Herald:

Williams has three children with three women and recently settled a paternity suit with one of them. He will pay $4,000 per month to support the child. Williams also had to deposit $300,000 in a trust account as part of the settlement and is required to purchase a $500,000 life insurance policy on himself with the child as the beneficiary.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reality said:
You mean it wasn't because of his overwhelming passion for football? :rolleyes:

How could I have been so wrong? :confused: