Rickey To Be Welcomed Back, Serve 4 Game Suspension

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Trophy#6 said:
Ah, glass houses, glass houses.. Not a person that hasn't needed a few second chances in their lifetime. Some people act like football players are nothing but show dogs in a ring. Wake-up call, as much of a Monday Morning Quarterback one may be, you still didn't live your life under the critical magnifyglass of society since you were barely bolsting pubes. So what, he took a few years off for himself, god-forbid, he must be a waste then.

He took time off of playing a "game" to get "high"........a GAME! Didn't stop being a brain surgeon, didn't skip his flight to Mars,...instead took time off from playing a Game, period. There is a line of thinking that would suggest he did the mature thing here. Bottom-line he took time away from the playground to self-evaluate himself.

At the end of the day Football is nothing more then a game for grown-men to extend their youth. Which there is a degree of disturbance about that in itself. How many 30 year olds in the real world do you see jumping up and down like they're on steriods, grabbing each other's shoulders and bashing their heads together? God, I hope not alot. On the contrary though, a very high percentage of people you know, whether you know they do it or not, get high and function in the real world everyday, just fine.

I applaud Ricky for being his own man and leaving the circus for awhile for himself. Not everybody needs a yearly multi-million dollar contract to be happy, believe it or not.

In the era of billion dollar TV contracts, the NFL is quite a bit more than a game. Its a business....a big business.

I have no problem with Ricky quitting if thats what he wanted to do. I do have a problem with him quitting on his team when they were counting on him. Considering the money they paid him and the compensation they gave up to get him, I think he at least should have let them know this was what he was thinking so that they could prepare for a season without him.

Apparently, Ricky does need that multi million dollar contract since he is scrambling back now that the Dolphins have him over the barrel regarding repayment.

As far as people getting high, I have never met anyone that does that on a regular basis and functions in the real world just fine. Ricky obviously isn't.

5 Super Bowls

Reaction score
Trophy#6 said:
Ah, glass houses, glass houses.. Not a person that hasn't needed a few second chances in their lifetime. Some people act like football players are nothing but show dogs in a ring. Wake-up call, as much of a Monday Morning Quarterback one may be, you still didn't live your life under the critical magnifyglass of society since you were barely bolsting pubes. So what, he took a few years off for himself, god-forbid, he must be a waste then.

He took time off of playing a "game" to get "high"........a GAME! Didn't stop being a brain surgeon, didn't skip his flight to Mars,...instead took time off from playing a Game, period. There is a line of thinking that would suggest he did the mature thing here. Bottom-line he took time away from the playground to self-evaluate himself.

At the end of the day Football is nothing more then a game for grown-men to extend their youth. Which there is a degree of disturbance about that in itself. How many 30 year olds in the real world do you see jumping up and down like they're on steriods, grabbing each other's shoulders and bashing their heads together? God, I hope not alot. On the contrary though, a very high percentage of people you know, whether you know they do it or not, get high and function in the real world everyday, just fine.

I applaud Ricky for being his own man and leaving the circus for awhile for himself. Not everybody needs a yearly multi-million dollar contract to be happy, believe it or not.

You are a complete moron. He was considered a role model by kids. He was considered a team player by fans, FO, and teamates. He quit because he didn't want to disquise his drug habits. THAT is a loser, bar none. You are wrong about this guy and probably like him because it makes your pot smoking seem ok. It is still illegal and just because you can function in the real world everyday, doesn't make it right.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
There are multiple views to take on this and since none of us are Ricky Williams, members of the Miami Dolphins, or owners/FO then I don't see why all the passion in the comments. Your opinions are yours as are your feelings as well as the right to express them.

I just wonder what all the motives are behind the very strong emotions some of you have when none of us are really involved.

What are the reasons for the passion? I understand the questions and frankly some of the bewilderment. But beyond that I don't understand.

5 Super Bowls

Reaction score
jobberone said:
There are multiple views to take on this and since none of us are Ricky Williams, members of the Miami Dolphins, or owners/FO then I don't see why all the passion in the comments. Your opinions are yours as are your feelings as well as the right to express them.

I just wonder what all the motives are behind the very strong emotions some of you have when none of us are really involved.

What are the reasons for the passion? I understand the questions and frankly some of the bewilderment. But beyond that I don't understand.

I personally hate that society is losing sight of responsibility. Ricky took a big check that requires him to do a job. He should be held accountable for his lack of responsibility to everyone he was paid by indirectly and directly. For anyone to apologize on his behalf is rediculous. He accepted responsibility when he cashed the check that was part of a contract he signed.

It is the excuses that piss me off. Take responsibility for your actions. Don't run from them.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
He owes $8.6 million. Will he play FREE for the next 3 years to repay that?

Buying a $500,000 life insurance policy while being a known drug user will be very expensive.

Rikki is now the size of a smallish DB, like Aaron Glen.

He has lots of strikes against him, lets see how he responds.

jimmy40

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Big mistake by the Dolphins unless they have a trade partner in mind already. They certainly don't need him, neither for his ability on the field, which should be in serious question at the moment with his weight so low, nor for his "contribution" in the lockerroom.

I believe this also sends a very bad message for the NFL as a whole in that players can violate their contracts anytime they want, take their bonus money, and run off. Then when they want more money, they simply come back and because they have talent some team will let it happen.

Rickey is a completely self-absorbed individual who will NOT help a team and is coming back for one reason and one reason only, money. As soon as he has what he wants he is out of there again. The guy has a serious problem with drugs and is not going to simply give that up just so he can play football again. On the contrary, he is agreeing to play football again so that he can support his drug habit.

Bad move all around.
You don't need $8,000,000 to smoke pot. :rolleyes:

jimmy40

Reaction score
5 Super Bowls said:
You are a complete moron. He was considered a role model by kids. He was considered a team player by fans, FO, and teamates. He quit because he didn't want to disquise his drug habits. THAT is a loser, bar none. You are wrong about this guy and probably like him because it makes your pot smoking seem ok. It is still illegal and just because you can function in the real world everyday, doesn't make it right.
With the music kids listen to these days sports stars being role models is the least of our problems.

jimmy40

Reaction score
5 Super Bowls said:
I personally hate that society is losing sight of responsibility. Ricky took a big check that requires him to do a job. He should be held accountable for his lack of responsibility to everyone he was paid by indirectly and directly. For anyone to apologize on his behalf is rediculous. He accepted responsibility when he cashed the check that was part of a contract he signed.

It is the excuses that piss me off. Take responsibility for your actions. Don't run from them.
Who cares what you think? You didn't pay him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jimmy40 said:
With the music kids listen to these days sports stars being role models is the least of our problems.
That is probably more closer to the truth that anyone wants to believe.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:

Those darn kids and their rock and roll. That Elvis is ruining America.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk said:
Those darn kids and their rock and roll. That Elvis is ruining America.
Hey, that's no joke, he really did. Art has never been the same since his mug ended up painted on black velvet. :D

mbanx

Reaction score
Hostile said:
My money will be on the Raiders.

Wow a team with Moss, Williams, and possibly Terrell Owens (I refuse to address him by his so called nickname). Highly unlikely but the Raiders seem to draw these people and Philly is not going to be held hostage. As much as I hate to say it I would have a new respect (only a little) if they leave TO blowin in the wind.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mbanx said:
Wow a team with Moss, Williams, and possibly Terrell Owens (I refuse to address him by his so called nickname). Highly unlikely but the Raiders seem to draw these people and Philly is not going to be held hostage. As much as I hate to say it I would have a new respect (only a little) if they leave TO blowin in the wind.
Where is TO rumored to the Raiders? Haven't seen that at all.

Reaction score
Trophy#6 said:

I'm sure his teammates felt the same way while they were losing time after time... If you love the game and play it for the right reasons, it becomes more than simply a game... Ricky was looking after HIMself and not his teammates... he left them lurching after the organization was stupid enough to build around him... how would you feel if Julius Jones up and quit after Dallas invested it's future in him??

silver

Reaction score
Trophy#6 said:

The guy is a dope. you are entitled to your own opinion but those of us who would love a yearly multi-million dollar contract don't get this. how can this guy walk away from so much money to indulge in ilegal narcotics? is he that stupid? apparently he is.

silver

Reaction score
5 Super Bowls said:

he's not my kids role model. they know he's a dope.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
5 Super Bowls said:

I can understand that. Yes, he's been very irresponsible.

His behaviors are obviously very self defeating. I don't blame you for being annoyed with him for taking the money and running even though for Ricky not running is a most difficult task.

I don't see any great passion in your remarks though. I find them very reasonable.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Ol Ricky changed his mind? Thought he was just leaving the game. Inspired to all that Zen stuff.

Fact is he was running from his failed drug tests, and fears of more failed drug tests..... Now he's back. Watch the Fins drop the bonus repayment deal :)