Video: Rico One-Hand catch today

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What else do you want the guy to do. Be a Garrett guy aka a snitch aka under Garrett's desk. Regardless if it was against 4th stringers hes balled with the opportunities the staff has given him. That's all u can ask a guy to do.
I hear ya and I agree that all any player can do is take advantage of their opportunities when they arise. My two points were-
1. Rico has had three years to develop. On a team that clearly is looking for talent at the TE position, if he can’t take advantage of 3 years, is he really that good?
2. We fans should always tap the breaks on calling a guy “a beast” based on either t-shirt and shorts drills or against guys who will be looking for non-football jobs soon.

HK, honestly I agree with you that Rico deserves looking at. I just don’t agree that he deserves anything more after this TC. If he hasn’t shown more than what we’ve seen for three summers, I don’t think he deserves a roster spot. Maybe he will step up in the next 3 weeks.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are the facets of the position where Rico has looked awful in a game on tape. Can we all see?

Where did I say he looked awful? You keep assuming I'm saying things I haven't. All I know is the team has said that he has talent, but still has a lot to learn, and needs to improve his blocking. I haven't spent a lot of time focusing on him as a blocker, so I don't have a personal opinion on that, but it certainly seems reasonable that a guy that skipped 9-10 years of football that every other player has would be behind on the learning curve. As far as I'm concerned he doesn't have to be an elite blocker, so if he can just become adequate, and learn the nuances of the game, and be a nice target, he has a chance to do well.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What else do you want the guy to do. Be a Garrett guy aka a snitch aka under Garrett's desk. Regardless if it was against 4th stringers hes balled with the opportunities the staff has given him. That's all u can ask a guy to do.

The "Garrett Guy" argument doesn't improve your position. It comes across as grasping at straws for an argument. Instead, look at this logically. If Garrett didn't want Rico to succeed, why would Rico still be with the team going into his 3rd training camp? The Cowboys didn't have to draft him, or keep him, yet they have. It doesn't make sense that they would still be spending time and effort with him if they didn't want him to do well.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
he might actually make the team when they trade one of the other TE for a player or a pick.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Part of being a Tight End is being a great receiver. We have offensive lineman who can block and are more athletic than this bunch. I'd keep Gathers and bring in a veteran te or Load up on big olineman who can block if we're gonna roll with incomplete players.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I hear ya and I agree that all any player can do is take advantage of their opportunities when they arise. My two points were-
1. Rico has had three years to develop. On a team that clearly is looking for talent at the TE position, if he can’t take advantage of 3 years, is he really that good?
2. We fans should always tap the breaks on calling a guy “a beast” based on either t-shirt and shorts drills or against guys who will be looking for non-football jobs soon.

HK, honestly I agree with you that Rico deserves looking at. I just don’t agree that he deserves anything more after this TC. If he hasn’t shown more than what we’ve seen for three summers, I don’t think he deserves a roster spot. Maybe he will step up in the next 3 weeks.
He did not get any development for a full season last year cuz they wanted to stash him on IR. So no practice at all. So really he's had 2 TC and one season on PS. Fact is the guy can play regardless if it's against bums or not. Bob do you believe your eyes or the coaching staff that hasn't been able to develop a TE in 9 years.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Where did I say he looked awful? You keep assuming I'm saying things I haven't. All I know is the team has said that he has talent, but still has a lot to learn, and needs to improve his blocking. I haven't spent a lot of time focusing on him as a blocker, so I don't have a personal opinion on that, but it certainly seems reasonable that a guy that skipped 9-10 years of football that every other player has would be behind on the learning curve. As far as I'm concerned he doesn't have to be an elite blocker, so if he can just become adequate, and learn the nuances of the game, and be a nice target, he has a chance to do well.
Ok where is the tape of him not being "adequate" at blocking. All I keep being fed is this non blocking crap that garrett spews, but I still have no visual evidence being thrown at me.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok where is the tape of him not being "adequate" at blocking. All I keep being fed is this non blocking crap that garrett spews, but I still have no visual evidence being thrown at me.

Read my post. You are asking me for something I already addressed. As for you having no visual evidence, are you under the impression the head coach of every NFL team is obligated to provide visual evidence of what he sees and what influences his decisions to every fan that questions him?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Read my post. You are asking me for something I already addressed. As for you having no visual evidence, are you under the impression the head coach of every NFL team is obligated to provide visual evidence of what he sees and what influences his decisions to every fan that questions him?
No just this garbage staff that can't develop TE's.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No just this garbage staff that can't develop TE's.

lol - well, good luck getting coaches to provide you a video evidence of whatever you ask them for. By the way, have you asked them? Who knows, maybe they do send videos out to answer the questions of every fan that asks, and you and me are the only ones that don't know it.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
lol - well, good luck getting coaches to provide you a video evidence of whatever you ask them for. By the way, have you asked them? Who knows, maybe they do send videos out to answer the questions of every fan that asks, and you and me are the only ones that don't know it.
Look he might end up being trash, but from what everyone has "seen". He looks the part. If it was another staff I might listen, but when garrett talks everyone should just ignore it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look he might end up being trash, but from what everyone has "seen". He looks the part. If it was another staff I might listen, but when garrett talks everyone should just ignore it.

We have to accept that practice is also part of the decision with a player. That doesn't mean the coaches are always right, but it does mean they are judging from more information than we have. I think we also have to be mindful of the fact, as I said yesterday, that the team didn't have to draft Rico, and didn't have to keep him for a 3rd training camp. The evidence suggests the team wants him to succeed and is willing to give him the chance to learn and become a player. It makes no sense for them to still be working with him otherwise.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I think its silly that Garrett doesn't give Gathers a chance. Who cares if he can't block as well as the others. The other 3 TEs are nothing more than blocking TEs that can't catch. Our coach needs to think out of the box and just start playing Gathers more with the idea of using them as passcatchers rather than extra blockers. We already have 3 other TEs that can block and its not like they are anything special.
Well said indeed SIR :bow::bow::bow::bow:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We have to accept that practice is also part of the decision with a player. That doesn't mean the coaches are always right, but it does mean they are judging from more information than we have. I think we also have to be mindful of the fact, as I said yesterday, that the team didn't have to draft Rico, and didn't have to keep him for a 3rd training camp. The evidence suggests the team wants him to succeed and is willing to give him the chance to learn and become a player. It makes no sense for them to still be working with him otherwise.
Anyone that thinks these are open competitions at practice is fooling themselves

The Coaches pick the winners and then give them the reps..... then they say the other guy needs more work and reps..... it is a sham

Someone in the FO is obviously protecting Rico and the Coaches are obviously down on him

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone that thinks these are open competitions at practice is fooling themselves

The Coaches pick the winners and then give them the reps..... then they say the other guy needs more work and reps..... it is a sham

Someone in the FO is obviously protecting Rico and the Coaches are obviously down on him

Of course coaches make decisions on who they think is most deserving - that's how the process works. That's how a team decides who to keep and who to cut and who to start and who provides depth. But it's silly to assume it is all predetermined before ever getting to the practice field or seeing preseason games. In any case, do we really believe Garrett and the coaches can override Jerry if there is something Jerry really wants?