Video: Rico One-Hand catch today

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Of course coaches make decisions on who they think is most deserving - that's how the process works. That's how a team decides who to keep and who to cut and who to start and who provides depth. But it's silly to assume it is all predetermined before ever getting to the practice field or seeing preseason games. In any case, do we really believe Garrett and the coaches can override Jerry if there is something Jerry really wants?
That is my point.... it is all determined by Draft position, signing bonus, pet cats and Coaches biases

It is not a fair and open competition

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
First of all if we're considering keeping any of these tes then we're ignorant. None of the tight ends are really all that complete. Rico looks like he has possibilities to be a good receiver. The other guys look like practice squad material at best. None of these tes would even get picked up if they all got cut tomorrow but somehow we're gonna keep 3. Omg. We're never gonna win beans with these te skill sets. We've had a shot to pick up just about every decent veteran te over the years who can can make big plays but we chose to keep the lousy tes that the defense doesn't have to cover on 3rd downs. When are we gonna step up and get a complete Te that can score. We missed out on Jimmy Graham 2 times at least.

We're either gonna have to be a run n shoot offense or we're gonna play a bunch of practice squad tes. Either way The first regular season game I see 2 of these inept tes lined up in the same formation I'm going back to listening on the radio. I'm not watching starters who are just one dimensional blockers. It just not a winning formula. No te or fb has ever led his team to a championship much less with only a bunch of great blocking

Gavin Escobar looks like Gronk compared to this te group. Sometimes is best to change the offense when you don't have the right personnel. Throw out all those stupid 2 te sets until we get 2 good tes. Right now we don't even have 1!!!

This te squad grades out as an F just like it did the last 5 years. 4 tds and 3 plays over 20 yards per season is pathetic for your entite te core of 3 guys

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is my point.... it is all determined by Draft position, signing bonus, pet cats and Coaches biases

It is not a fair and open competition

I recently listened to an episode of the Break and their comments seemed to support what you're saying.

They specifically mentioned that Schultz hasn't looked good and doesn't look ready for the NFL. The were in agreement that Rico looked better and if it were up to them, they'd keep Rico. But then they conceded that it would be "hard for the team to admit their mistake" and cut a 4th round rookie pick, even if Rico was the better player.

If that's accurate, it's disappointing bull****.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I recently listened to an episode of the Break and their comments seemed to support what you're saying.

They specifically mentioned that Schultz hasn't looked good and doesn't look ready for the NFL. The were in agreement that Rico looked better and if it were up to them, they'd keep Rico. But then they conceded that it would be "hard for the team to admit their mistake" and cut a 4th round rookie pick, even if Rico was the better player.

If that's accurate, it's disappointing bull****.
Jerry doesn't care about winning, he cares about making money and looking smart.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
I really am pulling for Rico. He has the best playmaking ability of all the TEs. Because he was so horribly injured, he is behind the rest of the pack. Read they don't like his blocking ability. With that said, I would never cut him. Let him work his way back. Besides, they only ever allowed Witten to play while the others were always on IR anyway.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I really am pulling for Rico. He has the best playmaking ability of all the TEs. Because he was so horribly injured, he is behind the rest of the pack. Read they don't like his blocking ability. With that said, I would never cut him. Let him work his way back. Besides, they only ever allowed Witten to play while the others were always on IR anyway.
He wasn't horribly injured, it was a regular concussion that they overblew to abuse the ir system so they could stash him for the year and hinder his development.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
He wasn't horribly injured, it was a regular concussion that they overblew to abuse the ir system so they could stash him for the year and hinder his development.
I guess we can't say for sure, but that concussion and blow to the jaw took him a LONG time to come back from. No one can argue his playmaking ability and that's what I care about in a player. I want playmakers who can damage downfield. We have more than adequate blockers. JG is an idiot (and proud of it).

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I guess we can't say for sure, but that concussion and blow to the jaw took him a LONG time to come back from. No one can argue his playmaking ability and that's what I care about in a player. I want playmakers who can damage downfield. We have more than adequate blockers. JG is an idiot (and proud of it).
Yeh jg is an idiot and I think Rico is our best playmaker out of the bunch. Go back tho and look at the injury he posted a tweet at the end of august

Then silence from him after that on the issue. It was a stash job because he definitely would have been poached of PS and would not have made it thru waivers

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Gathers will be our best TE this season. I will go out on a limb and say he will have 46 catches and 5 TDs. Im being conservative on the TDs

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Yeh jg is an idiot and I think Rico is our best playmaker out of the bunch. Go back tho and look at the injury he posted a tweet at the end of august

Then silence from him after that on the issue. It was a stash job because he definitely would have been poached of PS and would not have made it thru waivers

probably so.. and of course only Witten played..

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

The worst part is they do all that to stash him and then they will cut him this year and not take advantage of the extra year..... his new team will benefit