Right now we have the 6th pick, so...

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I know that looking ahead to the draft is not where we wanted to be but it's now the reality of the situation.

Losing tonight leaves the bottom 6 teams like this...

Carolina 2-13

Denver 3-11

Cincinnati 3-11

Detroit 4-10

Buffalo 4-10

Dallas 5-10

At this point we would have the 6th pick. If Buffalo loses and they are at 5-10 I think we would leap them. But other than that, I don't think we get above the 5th pick.

Now there is the possibility we could beat the Eagirls and I hope we do but if not, it looks like we will have the 5th, 6th or at worse 7th pick.

Can either of these get us Peterson?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
The short answer is yes. Peterson or Prince are definite possibilities this high.

You already know Luck is going #1 and I also think the Cam Newton bandwagon is going to roll into full action and carry him to the top five. Add some great D-lineman in the mix and you've got the potential to see them there.

About a 95% probability we go defense first round unless we trade down and target OL.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I believe that Arizona has a worse SOS(strength of schedule) They currently would pick before us, I guess we wil be 7th or still 8th tomorrow we can see.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
MonsterD;3762338 said:
I believe that Arizona has a worse SOS(strength of schedule) They currently would pick before us, I guess we wil be 7th or still 8th tomorrow we can see.

Good point.

I just looked up the current strengths of schedule and Dallas is actually in pretty good shape in terms of draft order. Of the 11 teams with between 3 and 5 wins, there are 3 teams with lower SoS -- Arizona (.462), Washington (.500), and Minnesota (.505). Then comes Dallas at .507. So we could conceivably jump Washington and Minnesota, depending on how the rest of the season plays out. After Dallas there is a pretty good drop off, meaning we probably aren't going to wind up in worse shape in terms of SoS. The teams in worse shape are: Denver (.528), Minnesota (.540), Cleveland (.551), Buffalo and Houston (.553), Detroit (.558), and Cinci (.578).

So if we lose to the Eagles, we'll finish higher in draft order than Cleveland, Houston and Minnesota, pretty much no matter what happens. We'll almost certainly finish higher than Detroit and Buffalo if either of them can manage a win. And we could still finish higher than Washington and Minnesota if neither of them manage a win. On the very off chance that Cinci or Denver manage to win out, we'd finish above them as well.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
MonsterD;3762551 said:
Peterson is the property of the Lions.

Not if we lose to Philadelphia and Detroit can manage a win against either Miami or Minnesota. They're strenght of schedule is much stronger and the head to head wouldn't matter as long as there are other 5-11 teams, which there almost certainly will be.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fanfromvirginia;3762594 said:
Not if we lose to Philadelphia and Detroit can manage a win against either Miami or Minnesota. They're strenght of schedule is much stronger and the head to head wouldn't matter as long as there are other 5-11 teams, which there almost certainly will be.

Based on that info, I'm feeling pretty good about this teams drafting position.

Staggerlee

chip_gilkey
Reaction score

Love the sig.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score

Weird you say if there is two teams only with the same record that it is head to head that decides. I have scoured around for any mention of head to head in any circumstance (two teams only included), and I have not seen it.

From what I have heard and read head to head is never considered.

Marktui

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3762297 said:
I know that looking ahead to the draft is not where we wanted to be but it's now the reality of the situation.

Losing tonight leaves the bottom 6 teams like this...

Carolina 2-13

Denver 3-11

Cincinnati 3-11

Detroit 4-10

Buffalo 4-10

Dallas 5-10

At this point we would have the 6th pick. If Buffalo loses and they are at 5-10 I think we would leap them. But other than that, I don't think we get above the 5th pick.

Now there is the possibility we could beat the Eagirls and I hope we do but if not, it looks like we will have the 5th, 6th or at worse 7th pick.

Can either of these get us Peterson?

As long as we are in the top 10, I think we will be in good shape as far as picking up a player. Peterson, Fairley, Quinn, Clayborn....as long as we don't reach, we will come out with a player.

I am hoping for a pass rusher, our pass rush is horrible except for Ware. Did anyone else come even close to Skelton? But whoever falls to us I will be happy with.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
MonsterD;3762636 said:
Weird you say if there is two teams only with the same record that it is head to head that decides. I have scoured around for any mention of head to head in any circumstance (two teams only included), and I have not seen it.

From what I have heard and read head to head is never considered.

It was just an assumption on my part so I will take your word for it. Thanks for the correction. :)

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Marktui;3762663 said:
As long as we are in the top 10, I think we will be in good shape as far as picking up a player. Peterson, Fairley, Quinn, Clayborn....as long as we don't reach, we will come out with a player.

I am hoping for a pass rusher, our pass rush is horrible except for Ware. Did anyone else come even close to Skelton? But whoever falls to us I will be happy with.

We will definitely be in position to get a good pash rusher. Lots of DL right where we will be picking.

To me the remaining uncertainty regards Patrick Peterson specifically -- will we have a chance and if so do we take him?

RamziD

Reaction score
Marktui;3762663 said:

I agree that we need a pass rusher. A DB that is only going to patch up one of 2 big holes in the secondary is not going to make us a significantly better team next year. Like the old saying goes, Super Bowls are won in the trenches... I would like to see us focus on DL and OL this upcoming draft.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
RamziD;3762686 said:
I agree that we need a pass rusher. A DB that is only going to patch up one of 2 big holes in the secondary is not going to make us a significantly better team next year. Like the old saying goes, Super Bowls are won in the trenches... I would like to see us focus on DL and OL this upcoming draft.

All good points but I'm warming to the idea of Peterson. No he wouldn't solve all of our problems next year but he could be a very special player for a long time.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
I would be ecstatic with either Peterson or Amukamara. I'm biased but I like Amukamara better anyways.

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score
Lotsa smart folks here so I was hoping to get an answer to this...

What is the absolute highest Dallas can draft in 2011 at this point, and which teams have to win for us to get there?

From a glance, it looks like there's a shot we could draft as high as 4th? Can that possibly be accurate?

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Shotgun Dave;3762812 said:
Lotsa smart folks here so I was hoping to get an answer to this...

What is the absolute highest Dallas can draft in 2011 at this point, and which teams have to win for us to get there?

From a glance, it looks like there's a shot we could draft as high as 4th? Can that possibly be accurate?

Right it is 2nd

That sounds right on, maybe 3rd??? The lowest we could go is what I can't figure, it depends if the worst 10 or so teams have each other on the schedule still, AND then calculate for SoS etc. I think it is something like 10th-12th is the worst we could do.