Twitter: RIP Gavin Escobar

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I mentioned his name yesterday in a post before the news broke….RIP.

Toro9

Reaction score
Damn... That sucks. But at least he died from a hobby.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Remember thinking he should have gotten a little more playing time than he did when it was apparent Witten was slowing down. Sad to hear. RIP.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Especially in California.

I work with a guy who lost everything in the Paradise fire. Literally, everything. We discussed it a couple years ago but he was still having people go over and clear out his lot.

Fires out west are nothing to be played with. A friend from high school is a forest fire fighter and we lived together one summer in the mid 2000's. That dude would basically go 2-weeks on and then get a few days off. They'd set up camps at rodeo arenas and basically just be entirely isolated during the whole time while working 12-14 hour shifts. He'd come back each time looking like a different person. He loved it and wanted to even advance to being one of the guys that is dropped in by helicopter, but I couldn't imagine spending a summer like that. He did it so he could pay for his living expenses for most of the rest of the year and just snowboard all winter.

Motorola

Reaction score
I've always thought rock climbers are crazy, RIP
No "crazier" than:
• Niagra Falls daredevils
• The Flying Wallendas -- along with the dozens other famous funambulism performers
• Snake charmers
• Evel Knievel
• English Channel swimmers
• Houdini
• Fire breathers

Hoofbite

Reaction score
No "crazier" than:
• Niagra Falls daredevils
• The Flying Wallendas -- along with the dozens other famous funambulism performers
• Snake charmers
• Evel Knievel
• English Channel swimmers
• Houdini
• Fire breathers

YouTube "Free Solo Honnold" and tell me anything on that list compares.

Motorola

Reaction score
YouTube "Free Solo Honnold" and tell me anything on that list compares.
It's all relative - the activities/stunts done - plus the circumstances under which each was done.
Hoofbite - my post to Elgatogrande was more about humans have done outrageous things that pose a great danger to their lives -- throughout the annals of time.
Was not aware of Alex Honnold and his free solo technique. Obviously, he has the makeup physically and mental mentally to train thoroughly to perform that elite level of rock climbing.
But I listed a number of feats and stunts in the past that illustrate many, many poeple did that most of us word consider "just as crazy" as rock climbing.
At least 5,000 people have went over Niagra Falls since 1850 - by accident, intentionally= suicide, or as a stunt. Look up the first documented person to go over Nigagra Falls - and reply about that feat.