***Rip on Romo Thread***

Stautner

Reaction score
Undisputed;4161077 said:
"When the games are close, you have to be smart with the football and that has been a problem with Tony." -- Troy Aikman

"I think he does a lot of things well, ... I think he just needs to be more consistent. And I think that's what hurts him the most. You're going to have good and bad games, but you really can't have too many bad games. You can't sway too much either way on that needle...There's a lot of teams throughout the league that do the same thing. The ones that continue to get better and stay at playing at that high level, they don't have those kind of swings." -- Joe Montana

Even Steve Young's 4-year-old criticism is still valid. Romo doesn't know how to "Stop the bleeding" when he hits a slump. It just gets worse.

This seems to be true. I think when something negative happens he pushes too hard to overcome it rather than let is slide off his back and go about his business as if the negative play never happened. I like the fact he wants to make up for it, but that can't translate into forcing things.

It's like a pitcher in baseball. The successful ones brush it off when a batter hits a HR off him, knowing that if he takes care of business the rest of the way things will be alright. A QB has to be the same way. He can't let himself get too down when he makes a mistake, or he can't let himself get too pumped up to go out and atone for the mistake. He has to go about the business of doing what he does best, knowing that if he takes care of business the rest of the way things will be alright.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Like I said in the game thread...it's a bad gambler's mentality.

When things go wrong, they try to double up next time and often only end up making things worse.

Stautner;4161148 said:
This seems to be true. I think when something negative happens he pushes too hard to overcome it rather than let is slide off his back and go about his business as if the negative play never happened. I like the fact he wants to make up for it, but that can't translate into forcing things.

pupulehaole

Reaction score
Romo's problem is he thinks he can do everything, make every throw. When obviously he can't and he ends up forcing throws. I'll never trust a lead in a game again till the clock hits 0:00 with romo as our QB.

bluenut

Reaction score
This is getting old...quick. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. I'm not saying to bench him or even trade or release him. I AM saying we should start figuring out who our next QB is now. Either through the draft, free agency or maybe "he" is already on our roster.
My point is that Romo, is just not that guy.

mmillman

Reaction score
Romo is what, 31? You can't replace him any time soon as starting qb's are not easy to come by and this team has too much talent to let some unproven rookie or journeyman take over.

Like it or not Romo is the guy. He can finally pull his head out and manage the game or continue to act like a moron and lose games he shouldn't. So far he doesn't appear to be learning a lesson. He has all the tools except managing a game. Learn when a punt or fg is better than trying to make a dangerous play.

sacase

Reaction score
Couldn't you just put this in the Romo Bash thread, I mean really its not like you are providing a unique opinion

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
sacase;4161815 said:
Couldn't you just put this in the Romo Bash thread, I mean really its not like you are providing a unique opinion
No drama.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I can tell you right now, that guy isn't on our roster, at least this year. But I think the plan is to look to upgrade the position via draft regardless of what kind of season Romo has this year.

mmillman

Reaction score
I think the team should identify a process to pick up a quality qb soon. But where Dallas drafts that isn't easy. I would consider trading a first round pick next year or a second for some future hope that you hit. Not unlike what New England does continuously. Groom one.

Romo has the talent to lead this team, but the mental makeup to manage a game? He doesn't appear to be learning.

newlander

Reaction score
mmillman;4161842 said:
I think the team should identify a process to pick up a quality qb soon. But where Dallas drafts that isn't easy. I would consider trading a first round pick next year or a second for some future hope that you hit. Not unlike what New England does continuously. Groom one.

Romo has the talent to lead this team, but the mental makeup to manage a game? He doesn't appear to be learning.

...in the 3rd round I believe...bonehead off the field but a great talent who will have 3 yrs minimum to be groomed. That's what Titans did with Steve McNair and tried to do with Vince Young. We will be looking from now on. MIGHt not be 1st round...but we'll be on the prowl. At least I THINK we will....this is the same mgmt. team that won't cut loose Buehler, Choice, Brooking or Ogletree....all dead weight IMO.:cool:

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
I hear Quincy Carter is available. Maybe we can cut Kitna too and sign Bledsoe to be Carter's backup.

Championship! :rolleyes:

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
The title of this thread sums it up. As they say “excuses are like buttholes. Everybody has one and they all stink.”

sacase

Reaction score
Hostile;4161821 said:
No drama.

Come on now Hos you know me. It just gets old seeing people start threads Bashing Romo because they feel that their particular bash needs its own thread. Just put all the Love romo threads in one thread and all the bash romo threads in another. Makes it easier to navigate the board and we can talk football facts not fan over reaction.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I agree 100% I am so tired of the excuses It's the same old song and dance with ROMO. It's been 6 years and 1 playoff win. We haven't won since I was 15 years old that's so frustrating!

dboy214

Benched
Reaction score
pupulehaole;4161385 said:
Romo's problem is he thinks he can do everything, make every throw. When obviously he can't and he ends up forcing throws. I'll never trust a lead in a game again till the clock hits 0:00 with romo as our QB.
even if we're up 40-0 in the 3rd quarter i will not feel comfortable.

Zman5

Reaction score
People want to just blame Romo but who has been his OC since 2007. That's right. JG has been Romo's OC since Romo's second year as a starter. You think a guy labeled as being a genius could have fixed this by now. But don't hold your breath. JG will not fix Romo's bad habits until JG the HC get a new OC. JG is as much gambler as Romo is ans as long as JG is the OC, we will see what we saw on Sunday again and again.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Zman5;4162275 said:
People want to just blame Romo but who has been his OC since 2007. That's right. JG has been Romo's OC since Romo's second year as a starter. You think a guy labeled as being a genius could have fixed this by now. But don't hold your breath. JG will not fix Romo's bad habits until JG the HC get a new OC. JG is as much gambler as Romo is ans as long as JG is the OC, we will see what we saw on Sunday again and again.

You are like a politician. No matter the question, you have the same answer. Got news for you, a coach can't make a player what he isn't. Brett Favre had MULTIPLE people coach him, and he looked the same under every single one. In the 90's I loved playing against him in big games. I always knew that at one or more key points he would throw it to our guys.

Zman5

Reaction score
rcaldw;4162277 said:
You are like a politician. No matter the question, you have the same answer. Got news for you, a coach can't make a player what he isn't. Brett Favre had MULTIPLE people coach him, and he looked the same under every single one. In the 90's I loved playing against him in big games. I always knew that at one or more key points he would throw it to our guys.

What is the main job function of a coach? To teach. At any level in sports, that is the main job function of a coach. JG has failed in this regard with Romo.

If Romo has a 90s version of Holmgren and crew as his coach, I'm sure Romo would have had more success in the playoffs. With JG as his OC, Romo will be more less what we've seen past few weeks. Great one game, and a bum the next.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Zman5;4162289 said:
What is the main job function of a coach? To teach. At any level in sports, that is the main job function of a coach. JG has failed in this regard with Romo.

If Romo has a 90s version of Holmgren and crew as his coach, I'm sure Romo would have had more success in the playoffs. With JG as his OC, Romo will be more less what we've seen past few weeks. Great one game, and a bum the next.

Look, I just respectfully disagree with you. I actually believe that they have gotten more out of Romo than anyone ever expected. He wasn't drafted you know? Regardless, I HOPE Tony has a great year, and finishes with a Super Bowl win before he is finished. I root for him every week.