Twitter: Rivera on McCarthy’s winning claim, “I think it’s a mistake”

Dallasfann

Reaction score
yeah..they create a story then THEY almost become part of said story themselves. Its a really sick way to conduct journalism.

I've seen people lose jobs because of it.....High end jobs even. To people who don't even know their own name.

visionary

Reaction score
Lol. This guy trying to blow this up for his team.
They aren't already up for the game?

A Cowboys win will be devastating for them now.

devastating, I tell you

Totally devastating

Did I say devastating?
Well, that’s what it’ll be

Devastating

Totally

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Good on McCarthy. He's not being insulting so why go woke? We SHOULD win this game. I'd rather have a head coach with some grit and balls instead of:
"How we doing guys."
"We like our guys."
"We're not looking ahead, one game at a time"

Blah blah blah.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Good on McCarthy. He's not being insulting so why go woke? We SHOULD win this game. I'd rather have a head coach with some grit and balls instead of:
"How we doing guys."
"We like our guys."
"We're not looking ahead, one game at a time"

Blah blah blah.
It will only be "good on McCarthy" if we win or depending on how we lose but I agree to your comparison to our last HC.
Side note: I hope the refs let the players decide on who wins this game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a dig in response, but McCarthy didn't say anything he hasn't screamed to his ow team. People are lazy and need something to blow up.
I look at it as a public wake up call because it looks like the ones in private are not working.

McC feels he has the better team and specifically, the better QB. Time for Prescott to back up McC's words. He said it was not his calf so it is time to step up, take this team to it's potential.

McC knows he has the better team but it has to step up this Sunday and prove that, no excuses, this is when a true contender shows up. I did not believe this team was a true contender before the season started but I have seen what they can be so I would like to be proven wrong about that.

The Cowboys are favored to win, they can put a torpedo in the side of WFT's ship and hopes of being the first to repeat since 2004. This is the kind of game a true contender not only wins but leaves little doubt that they are the East division champs.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I look at it as a public wake up call because it looks like the ones in private are not working.

McC feels he has the better team and specifically, the better QB. Time for Prescott to back up McC's words. He said it was not his calf so it is time to step up, take this team to it's potential.

McC knows he has the better team but it has to step up this Sunday and prove that, no excuses, this is when a true contender shows up. I did not believe this team was a true contender before the season started but I have seen what they can be so I would like to be proven wrong about that.

The Cowboys are favored to win, they can put a torpedo in the side of WFT's ship and hopes of being the first to repeat since 2004. This is the kind of game a true contender not only wins but leaves little doubt that they are the East division champs.
The long week after 3 games in a couple of weeks offers perspective. I predict a high energy outing by Dallas.

kskboys

Reaction score
I understand . So, then he did it just to appease the media and fans . Which would fall more into our owners eternal optimist duties to the media.
I think he does it purely to appease his ego. I haven't seen any underlying agendas w/ Jerry. He spews purely because it makes him feel important. Really sad stuff.

Crapp. I was thinking this was about Jerry. Blame the Peach Crown!!!

McC? Just coachspeak crapp. Means less than nothing.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bottom line, if they win in D.C., McC's a cool dude. Think Jimmy would have been a cool dude if the Cowboys had lost that game against the Niners?

I do not think McC is ignorant to that bit of history in Cowboys Nation. I think he also realizes if they lose, he's going to be a schmuck and catch the blame.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bottom line, if they win in D.C., McC's a cool dude. Think Jimmy would have been a cool dude if the Cowboys had lost that game against the Niners?

I do not think McC is ignorant to that bit of history in Cowboys Nation. I think he also realizes if they lose, he's going to be a schmuck and catch the blame.
Yea I think this is why he did it. He realizes the weight of this game .

If we lose the season could unravel as the media is going to roast him and this team not wrapping up division with what seemed an insurmountable lead and his job is probably on the line after this year barring a deep run in the playoffs.

CC, sometimes McCarthy feels like he is like trolling Cowboys nation . I think of what you said months ago that this isn’t a good fit for him but he took the job to try and create new interest for himself around the league and if did bow out or however it transpired he’d probably be fine with it as long as he landed somewhere else more suitable for him.

This is the game that’s going to help shape and define his tenure here. Couldn’t ask for much more drama than that old Buddy.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea I think this is why he did it. He realizes the weight of this game .

If we lose the season could unravel as the media is going to roast him and this team not wrapping up division with what seemed an insurmountable lead and his job is probably on the line after this year barring a deep run in the playoffs.

CC, sometimes McCarthy feels like he is like trolling Cowboys nation . I think of what you said months ago that this isn’t a good fit for him but he took the job to try and create new interest for himself around the league and if did bow out or however it transpired he’d probably be fine with it as long as he landed somewhere else more suitable for him.

This is the game that’s going to help shape and define his tenure here. Couldn’t ask for much more drama than that old Buddy.
Yep, he added some fire to an already big game, the biggest in his tenure so far, with a rival that had taken a backseat for many to the Eagles.

That's one I never adopted, with Allen, Talbert, Theismann and Riggins even Buddy Ryan and Jaworski can't get me off the Hate the Skins wagon. Too much history.

It seems a little out of character for a blue collar guy like McC to call a win which is probably why Rivera commented on it. Jimmy was always flashy and full of fire so it fit him.

I would really like to know how his coaches and players responded, honestly, when they heard him do that. I don't think everyone would be on board and who knows? Maybe he sensed something and wanted to get their attention? Maybe he sensed overconfidence or even cockiness so he'd try a little mind game on them.

The Dallas Cowboys are a coach's worst nightmare, a bunch of players feeling they've accomplished something by being on the media's darling team. The Dallas market helped create that and that was one of the reasons the term "finesse", one that Landry detested, was used so much. Other teams were football teams, the Cowboys were something else. And they still are, more exclusive fans to them and not even the NFL or football in general than any team in sports.

I like what McC did, shook things up and added a little more wood to the fire.

What's funny is some thinking it's bulletin board material and he poked the sleeping bear. The WFT didn't need any additional wood on their fire and they're not going to play better or harder because of anything McC said.

Cmac

Reaction score
Statement game coming coming from Big D. Rivera sounds like a pee-wee league coach with that BS.
No problem with Rivera's statement.......heck McCarthy said something, so Rivera has every right to respond, in kind. Media talk.....and while it was the right answer by MM, he simply should have responded with "Next question, or what kind of question is that?" He let himself get trapped in an overblown media statement......been in the leauge too long not to understand that.

Rayman70

Reaction score
MM needs 2 just ****. We haven't won anything in 26 years. UNLESS he did that 2 put some urgency onto the players. Swag means 0 if we can't back it up. We haven't backed up squat in 26 years. Those are the facts.

Rayman70

Reaction score
btw..MM never really said the words guarantee. He just didnt. BSPN concocted that crap because they love Rivera.He is their media darling. So when MM said anything that resembled a guarantee, they ran with it 2 gain headlines. MM played right into their hands stupidly. Hes a meat head.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The WFT are totally decimated with injuries
It'd be like them making that prediction before playing decimated Dallas last year.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think McCarthy and Rivera should put on the gloves and settle this once and for all.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
No problem with Rivera's statement.......heck McCarthy said something, so Rivera has every right to respond, in kind. Media talk.....and while it was the right answer by MM, he simply should have responded with "Next question, or what kind of question is that?" He let himself get trapped in an overblown media statement......been in the leauge too long not to understand that.
Way too much made of this. The context of McCarthy's statement was one of exuding confidence in his team while also being conscious of the tough task at hand. Rivera sounded like a child insulted on the playground.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Nice. Let’s go!

A good HC can motivate his team, get them focused and play well. I'm hoping this HC truly has his finger on the pulse of this team, especially the QB, and this team wakes up. Honestly, I haven't seen anything that makes me think McCarthy is a good head coach, or offensive "guru" or developer of elite QBs. He likes to roll the dice in his gametime decisions which, with this team, might not be a great idea because it's killing their momentum. Maybe after they fix the run blocking it will be a good idea but all evidence points otherwise right now... point being that it doesn't look like he understands this team or how he can best help.

JayFord

Reaction score
Normally Dallas folds under pressure

but sometimes you just gotta light a fire under your own team.....

and this isnt motivation for any other team......people always circle Cowboy games and bring their A game anyways

gotta show em how it gets done on 115th street, suckas gotsta know...now can you dig that SUCKA!!!!