Twitter: Rivera on McCarthy’s winning claim, “I think it’s a mistake”

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Its a big game but if they lose it surely isn't the end of the season....at some point you want to see this team peaking in the right direction. To see a loss here would be unfortunate.....
In the history of the league only a few personalities have offered guarantees which have more often been in Super Bowls like with Jimmy and Namath.

Perhaps McCarthy feels this game has similar weight on this season . And possibly his tenure here.

Maybe he senses what I’m sensing is this could easily spiral down if we lose this one and it could become a dumpster fire in the media which could effect the pysche of the team.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Its a big game but if they lose it surely isn't the end of the season....at some point you want to see this team peaking in the right direction. To see a loss here would be unfortunate.....
agree loss isn't the end but win can end hopes for the rest of the east..3 game lead with 4 to go. Writing would be on the proverbial wall..

Much bigger game then i imagined a month ago but they are far more departure then us.. IM glad its a 12pm game anxiety sets in waiting all day..

hope for decent weather, cold is ok rain and high winds are not.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A loss is unfortunate but not detrimental.

WFT plays @ Philly than @ Dallas.

We play a banged up New York team and should get back on track.

But to keep it simple, just win.
No I agree. Its not a must win in regards to our success. I think beating a hot WFT team would do wonders for this team. I think if you're serious about contending this year you have to win this game. You should be ascending right now.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
In the history of the league only a few personalities have offered guarantees which have more often been in Super Bowls like with Jimmy and Namath.

Perhaps McCarthy feels this game has similar weight on this season . And possibly his tenure here.

Maybe he senses what I’m sensing is this could easily spiral down if we lose this one and it could become a dumpster fire in the media which could effect the pysche of the team.
I think you're thinking too deep into it. I just think he's doing what coaches do. Put a little pressure on the guys and give them a test of a hard, physical tough matchup. They should go into every game guaranteeing they win.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
More ammo for Rivera and the WFT if they needed any more. The Cowboys better tighten up their panties cause WFT will be bringing the heat. Dak better invest some of his largess in some skates.
Refs are shinning up their flags right now.

what heat? WFT is not a big sack team, they do not create many turnovers. Their game is a grind it out game and that will fall to the defense to put Washington into a lot of passing situation. Offensively Washington offense has not shown themselves to be a big play offense, total of 3 plays that have gone over 40 yards and one of the worst with plays of 20 yards. Dallas can't sleep on this game, it is an important game not because of Washington but because it is a chance to start positioning ourselves for post season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
agree loss isn't the end but win can end hopes for the rest of the east..3 game lead with 4 to go. Writing would be on the proverbial wall..

Much bigger game then i imagined a month ago but they are far more departure then us.. IM glad its a 12pm game anxiety sets in waiting all day..

hope for decent weather, cold is ok rain and high winds are not.

Yeah I'm sort of concerned about this team playing in bad conditions...won't be ideal last I heard but shouldn't be the New England/Bills game either.

Its bigger than I thought but I'm happy. I think the last thing this team needed was just to run away with this division. They need a little pressure and some big wins.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah I'm sort of concerned about this team playing in bad conditions...won't be ideal last I heard but shouldn't be the New England/Bills game either.

Its bigger than I thought but I'm happy. I think the last thing this team needed was just to run away with this division. They need a little pressure and some big wins.
:hammer:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think you're thinking too deep into it. I just think he's doing what coaches do. Put a little pressure on the guys and give them a test of a hard, physical tough matchup. They should go into every game guaranteeing they win.
I agree this should be done but in the locker room not the media. What other coaches are making these guarantees publicly in the media ?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
How would their playoff chances be buried? For the division for sure but they'd still be in play for a wild card won't they?

Notice I said ( intentionally BTW LOL ) "all but bury"..........Losing to us Sunday would pretty much end their chance at the division but won't eliminate them as stated.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree this should be done but in the locker room not the media. What other coaches are making these guarantees publicly in the media ?
I think you are overestimating the effect some coachspeak has on players. Minimal, at the most. Prolly closer to no effect.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Aye...what other team coaches the Dallas Cowboys and are ran by Jerry? Gotta do something different than other coaches.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think you are overestimating the effect some coachspeak has on players. Minimal, at the most. Prolly closer to no effect.
I understand . So, then he did it just to appease the media and fans . Which would fall more into our owners eternal optimist duties to the media.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I understand . So, then he did it just to appease the media and fans . Which would fall more into our owners eternal optimist duties to the media.
I think he did it for the players honestly. I don't buy that stuff like this the players don't care about.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
The context is important. But if he offered up a guarantee then that was probably beyond the scope of the question.

Surely he’s asked similar questions weekly , why offer it up this week?

I listened to it, and he was asked a question and answered it the way I'd expect any coach to answer it. It didn't sound like Big Mike was guaranteeing anything IMO.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Fat Mike ***** up. We are hurting, and proven nothing, and now you just gave extra motivation 2 a team thats been very hot and are at home, IN A BIG RIVALRY GAME. TY Mike. We needed that.:eek: