Robinson vs Gibbs

btcutter

Reaction score
Why is this reminding me of Ricky Williams vs Edgerrin James debate?

Ricky Williams was the can’t miss prospect that NO traded the entire draft to get. Yet James was picked ahead in a shocker by Indy!

What do you guys think? eerily similar?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I would say Gibbs is a rarer talent than Bijan. We almost never see receiving backs come into the league as polished as he is, and none of them have had 4.36 speed. It isn't a perfect comp, but Christian McCaffrey is probably the last guy like him.

Bijan is a hyper-athletic power back. He isn't a bad receiver, but he isn't the elite receiver he's billed as IMO, and most of his value comes as a pure runner.

Super-athletic, super-productive pure runners come into the draft almost every year. Last year had two guys like him in Breece Hall and Ken Walker. Travis Etienne was kind of in that mold in 2021, and Jonathan Taylor was definitely that dude in 2020.

So I could definitely see a team justifying a pick of Gibbs over Bijan, because Gibbs offers a skill set that you may not see for another 2 or 3 years.

But the thing with Gibbs is that you have to be willing to scheme for him as a receiver, and throw a ton of passes to your RB. Not every offense does that. But OTOH, every offense in the league power-runs quite a bit. So Gibbs needs to find a team with the right fit. Bijan is pretty much foolproof from a schematic standpoint.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I like Gibbs better than Robinson.he has performed in the SEc in every game i have seen.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Guys still wanting to draft a RB in Rd 1 is amazing to me. Truly amazing. Didn’t learn the lesson with Zeke? Ok with Pollard tagged and a first round contract to another RB…really? Bigsby and McBride are 2 guys that may be around in rounds 3/4. I would bet a lot of money they will be as productive as Gibbs or Robinson especially over their careers. This is definitely the case here where the OL and other skill guys are solid.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Ricky Williams was the can’t miss prospect that NO traded the entire draft to get. Yet James was picked ahead in a shocker by Indy!

Good comparison.

John813

Reaction score
I've wanted Gibbs since his GT days.

He's a day 1 back that can run/catch and is a legit route runner for a RB. Not a simple safety valve back.

Would be a smidge redundant with Pollard here for his franchise tag year.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I've wanted Gibbs since his GT days.

He's a day 1 back that can run/catch and is a legit route runner for a RB. Not a simple safety valve back.

Would be a smidge redundant with Pollard here for his franchise tag year.
I really, really like Gibbs. He is just so smooth in everything he does. Great in the open field and will just make defenders just fall down with a little, subtle move. He does it over and over.

I just want dangerous runners. I’d love to give Pollard a break by putting Gibbs in. The defense wouldn’t have a sigh of relief when Pollard goes out like they did when Elliott came in.

If you need a bruiser, put Davis in and let him push the pile. Those guys are easy to find. I don’t want to draft a guy just for short yardage. I’d rather have a guy like Pollard, that scares defenses.

Gibbs is just that.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Seems to me a RB in Round 1, especially late, makes sense as long as you know you'll have him for 5 years only. My two cents.
that will not work out like that,they will hold out like zeke and we are up the creek without a paddle.

exciter

Reaction score
For sure. Not saying I wouldn't do it cause of Pollard. Just saying they are the same type of back, which isn't a bad thing. Just would need that short yardage back but as @AsthmaField posted those are easier to find
Right, but he’s such a unique talent that he would be hard to pass up at 26 and a guy for short yardage can be picked up UDFA (or even Dowdle) for a year and then pick up someone better next year when Pollard moves on.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
I like Gibbs a lot but the history of smaller backs isn’t promising. I’d like to take a chance on Gibbs we took another bag in this draft also as a back up. Drafting two backs Might make me feel better

exciter

Reaction score
I like Gibbs a lot but the history of smaller backs isn’t promising. I’d like to take a chance on Gibbs we took another bag in this draft also as a back up. Drafting two backs Might make me feel better
Eh, normally I’d agree 100%. Gibbs seems to be a different animal… a lot of Chris Johnson esq traits to his game!!! Don’t necessarily need 2 this year with Pollard. Can pick up another next season when Pollard moves on!

morasp

Reaction score
Gibbs was highly productive at Alabama with 1370 yards from scrimmage in 12 games with an average of only 16 touches per game.

In terms of durability Gibbs is similar to guys like Kamara, McCaffrey, and Ekeler. All of those guys just finished their sixth or seventh season and didn't show much sign of slowing down.

Ekeler just finished his sixth season with 1637 yards from scrimmage on 311 touches.
McCaffrey just finished his seventh season with 1881 yards from scrimmage on 329 touches
Kamara just finished his sixth season with 1387 yards from scrimmage on 280 touches

Gibbs would add much needed speed to the offense. At 4.36, he was faster than any of the WRs at the NFL combine other than Trey Palmer from Nebraska.

He is a very good route runner and a legitimate receiver out of the slot or backfield with good hands, instant acceleration, and excellent elusiveness after the catch.

As a ball carrier he's below average as an inside runner and tends to break his runs outside too often instead of following the play design. I don't know how well that will work against faster NFL defenders that know this tendency. I'm also not sure how coachable that is.

He's also a very good kick returner averaging almost 20 yards per return.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Bijan Robinson is to Jahmyr Gibbs

As

Adrian Peterson is to Reggie Bush

btcutter

Reaction score
Guys still wanting to draft a RB in Rd 1 is amazing to me. Truly amazing. Didn’t learn the lesson with Zeke? Ok with Pollard tagged and a first round contract to another RB…really? Bigsby and McBride are 2 guys that may be around in rounds 3/4. I would bet a lot of money they will be as productive as Gibbs or Robinson especially over their careers. This is definitely the case here where the OL and other skill guys are solid.
At late 1 I don’t see the problem. Especially when you get RB 1/2 vs CB 6/7 or DE 6/7.

Different story if we are talking about top 10 picks